Where can I buy pure alcohol for cleaning test instruments?

SantiSuk

The digital salinity meter for measuring salt content in my pool has just arrived (ex Swimming Pools Thailand online). The instructions require it to be cleaned "with alcohol" before calibrating the instrument.

Where do I get that - a pharmacy or large watsadu?

A translation website tells me that pure alcohol is  laoF luaanH

Would be great if someone can post a picture of a bottle they bought and what type of shop. I've seen the problems a prior poster had when trying to track down meths for a non-drinking purpose!

Otherwise it's a hunt around with a bit of pdgin Thai - (without separate posting on language forum - 'my ow deuum: ow chet nee'??)

Is meths an appropriate/only substitute? I assume the case of Beer Lao Dark in my cupboard is of no assist:smile:

Dunno, but thanks for the lightning response - I'll wait to see what others think. Presumably a pharmacy item. May have some med uses for me/the family anyway!

1 hour ago, SantiSuk said:

Dunno, but thanks for the lightning response - I'll wait to see what others think. Presumably a pharmacy item. May have some med uses for me/the family anyway!

Yeah, had it to hand swabbing a bite that I'd scratched. Find it helps keeping cuts, scratches, etc. clean and stops infection. 

27 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

the blue liquid for disinifecting immediately came to my mind also.

if thats 70% you can just add a  30% whisky and then you will have a cracking product

:burp:

24 minutes ago, Hereinthailand said:

If you live near a university or can find a school supply store with a chemistry dept buy some IPA (isopropyl alcohol) 90%. That blue color isnt disinfectant either and will leave a film on your probe.

Here we go.....

well, it says disinfectant on the bottle. Go figure...

We use 99% ethanol for different purpose (except drinking) we buy in 20l cannisters. I can give you a liter if you want. Can be collected in Nonthaburi or Chon Buri. Our company is using refractometers on a daily base but honestly we never clean with alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

30 minutes ago, CGW said:

Why not use hydrogen peroxide? easily available and does the same thing.

because the OP has bought some new equipment and he is trying to follow their instructions.

he fully mentions this in his first paragraph

21 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

because the OP has bought some new equipment and he is trying to follow their instructions.

he fully mentions this in his first paragraph

So being incapable of any normal thought process, we follow instructions regardless! OK, personally I prefer to think for myself :shock1:

I know, I'm just a rebel at heart!

Probably the reason why instructions mention alcohol is to clean and de-grease the surface of the prisma. This will not work with peroxide. It's quite amazing you made it this far, instructions do have a purpose you know...

On 3/10/2017 at 2:37 PM, luk AJ said:

Probably the reason why instructions mention alcohol is to clean and de-grease the surface of the prisma. This will not work with peroxide. It's quite amazing you made it this far, instructions do have a purpose you know...

Thank you for giving me the reason why alcohol is the preferred cleaner, I never thought about the d-greasing aspect.

Instructions! or guidelines, I prefer to look at them as guidelines! As most items we buy nowadays are made in China the "instructions' tend to be a little vague to say the least, I do question most things, note the question mark.

Many thanks for the replies. Will investigate how to identify school/university supply stores in my region (Ubon/Sisaket) a la HereinThailand's advice. May take you up on you offer on an upcoming Bangkok trip LukAJ if that draws a blank - not cos it's free - prefer to pay something, even if it's just the price of a beer!

Here is a supplier of chemicals.

https://www.chemipan.com/i/en/a1/

I have bought from them and I had no issues with the one purchase. I looked at the site and they have various grades of alcohol available. Check it out.

https://www.chemipan.com/home/index.php/635-สินค้า/646-สารเคมีทั่วไป/648-สารเคมีทั่วไป/1159/1159-เอทิล-แอลกอฮอล์-ethyl-alcohol-99p-เคมีภัณฑ์-สารเคมี.html

Work the site and it will reveal some interesting finds.

Good website but, despite putting my Thai address in the initial customer registration form, once I clicked on Paypal it has automatically decided to deliver to my UK address.

D_mn-it; 4 quid wasted unless I can get the transaction unstitched! Have e-mailed them and asked them to cancel and re-look at their systems

Back to the drawing board! If they will reverse the transaction I'll start again and this time pay by bank transfer from my Thai bank.

7 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Good website but despite putting my thai address in the forms once i clicked on paypal it automatically has decided to deliver to my UK address. D_mn-it; 4 quid wasted unless I can get the transaction unstitched!

Back to the drawing board!

(2) Send an email to [email protected]. In the email, please suggest the product code, product size, quantity (e.g. CA0505 Ethyl Alcohol 96% 1Liter x 2pcs.). Please also include your personal information e.g. your name, phone number, email, shipping address.

And then you simply ask them to send a PP invoice to your account. I do this all the time with websites that automatically divert to you registered PP address

OR

lazada.JPG

I think you just were too bored.

I was in my local chemical place yesterday buying drain crystals NaOH? when I was surprised to see the ethanol on the shelf...right next to the blue stuff.

this ethanol was 95% and in a nice dispensor bottle 100baht.

so try your local chemical place, they will have some i would think.

if not then contact world chemical in chiang mai and they will forward to you

20170313_112823.jpg

Archived