Vactioning with Thai family in Krabi. Suggested sights to see.

connda

I'm heading to Krabi with my Thai family (50 something y/o wife and 20-something y/o son and daughter-in-law).  Looking for suggestions for tourist-type activities.  The only places that I am not interested in is the National Parks.  I sure there is plenty to do and see outside of the National Park system.  And knowing the Thai families aversion to sun, hanging out on the beach or in a long-tailed boat is probably not high on the list of their idea of a good time.  Boat rides where they can stay out of the sun would probably be ok.  Me?  Snorkeling! :thumbsup:  Yeah, I know.  Me snorkeling and the Thai family sight-seeing but staying out of the sun is a tough conundrum.  But I'm open to suggestions.  If I don't make it snorkeling, fine.  As long as the family has fun.  Wife enjoys eating, especially seafood. Lol.  :laugh:  We're staying close to Nopparattara Beach.  Suggestions welcome.  TIA  :smile:

6 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Tiger Temple Cave just outside Krabi Town is well worth a look if you have the legs for it - 1200-odd steps. Monkeys are a pain though.

Image result for temple cave krabi

Wife would love that - but her knees???  They wouldn't handle the first 20 steps.  Thanks for the suggestion though! 

• 4 months later...

Ao Nang is pretty.  A long tail boat over to Railey beach is nice.  Small beach with good sand.  No wave action or any surfing though if that is what the kids might want.  The scenery with that big limestone cliff is pretty nice.  There is an entertainment complex and a few side streets with some beer bars that are kind of lively.  There is a large group of seafood restaurants kind of under one roof that might be worth spending dinner at.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2017 at 8:24 AM, connda said:

Hummm.  Krabi must be pretty boring.  Posted two days ago and 1 suggestion.  Ahhh, we'll figure it out when we get there.  :thumbsup:

It's not boring at all. It's probably the most scenic province and island with plenty of things to do and see.

The lack of replies is probably down to the fact that you are the 700th person to start a thread here asking about what to see. If it's really important to you then can I suggest you make an effort to do some research, and asking here what to see is not research. YouTube, instagram, google, trip advisor, lonely planet. There are literally tonnes of sources of information, all of which are free to access and at your fingertips so should you wish to take the time to look. Plus I always found it quite rewarding when I find something super cool and off the beaten track all because I made the effort to research.

Or you could just rock up and visit one of the many tour booths along roads and take it from there.

18 hours ago, wellred said:

It's not boring at all. It's probably the most scenic province and island with plenty of things to do and see.

The lack of replies is probably down to the fact that you are the 700th person to start a thread here asking about what to see. If it's really important to you then can I suggest you make an effort to do some research, and asking here what to see is not research. YouTube, instagram, google, trip advisor, lonely planet. There are literally tonnes of sources of information, all of which are free to access and at your fingertips so should you wish to take the time to look. Plus I always found it quite rewarding when I find something super cool and off the beaten track all because I made the effort to research.

Or you could just rock up and visit one of the many tour booths along roads and take it from there.

Went last March.  Rented a private longtail and toured the islands.  I didn't bother to get off the boat at the National Park, so didn't get involved with paying the 10X farang price of a National Park visit.  That wouldn't bother me so much if I was a regular tourist on a couple week visit to Thailand, but heck, I've lived here for 10 years and support a Thailand family, pay taxes, whatever.  My personal take on Krabi.  About a 6.5 out of 10.  I've been nicer places in the world.  
And as someone who has been diving and snorkeling since I've been a kid, the complete lack of viable reefs and the ecosystems they support was -- disturbing - really disturbing!  I was not much impressed.  My wife and kids had a seafood eating orgy, so they were more than happy, although I wouldn't doubt the seafood is imported.  So so at best.  No plans to return. 

Archived