Advice On Thai Boxing Camps And Accom...

jasreeve17

Hello,

I want to spend a week, over the New Year, in ChiangMai.

I'm getting older and fatter and thus thought that a little bit of exercise and culture up North may be a nice way to relax this year.

I've never been up there before (lived in Bangkok for three years) and am seeking a little advice, please:-

1) Any suggestions as to Thai boxing camps. (close to town and accom would be great)

2) Where would be a nice place to relax around town? Not KaoSan travllerish, not Pattsexish, not Suk longtermerish. Maybe a few drinks amongst a few foreigners who don't have dreadlocks and whose primary concern isn't getting sex.

3) With only a couple of days to see the sights, what would you suggest as a "crash course"?

Many thanks,

Jason

You're old and fat and want to try Thai Boxing to get into shape? Are you kidding?

Regarding a place to chill out ... I hang out at John's Place near Tapai Gate. It's pretty much all phalang and easy to go and chat to some random person - often have an interesting conversation too. Would be interested in finding other places too though.

I hate sight-seeing, so can't help on your last question.

You're old and fat and want to try Thai Boxing to get into shape? Are you kidding?

Regarding a place to chill out ... I hang out at John's Place near Tapai Gate. It's pretty much all phalang and easy to go and chat to some random person - often have an interesting conversation too. Would be interested in finding other places too though.

I hate sight-seeing, so can't help on your last question.

WoO thanks for your reply.

Your first comment is pretty much what the girlfriend keeps saying, but I think it's important to keep the dream alive. On the same note, I'll email you back tomorrow afternnon, just after we've won the test match. John's Place (presuming it's Australian owned) should be a good place to go in a few weeks, the series should be level by then.

:o

Many thanks, Jason

Lanna and Chai Yai would be two good first stops for someone cutting their teeth on Muay Thai. Lanna is on Soi Chiang Kian off of Huay Kaew/Canal Road. Chai Yai is south of the city, but has an office near Thapae Gate (A few doors down from Black Canyon). Hope this helps.

Thank you - I'll visit them both.

Many thanks, Jason