Govt to consider development of U-Tapao airport

webfact

Govt to consider development of U-Tapao airport

BANGKOK, 14 March 2017 (NNT) - Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Chatusripitak, has called a meeting with the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) management committee to follow up on a project to develop the U-Tapao airport. 

The deputy premier said that the meeting with the EEC policy committee, chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, would consider declaring U-tapao airport a 6,500-Rai EEC promotion zone which would be regarded as the metropolis of eastern aviation. Another project to be considered by the committee is the Bangkok-Rayong high-speed train expected to seamlessly connect Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi and U-tapao airports and elevate the country to the position of regional hub of aviation, said Mr. Somkid. 

The EEC policy committee will meet on 5th April 2017. 

Minister of Industry Uttama Savanayana, in his capacity as the chairman of the EEC management committee, said the details of an agreement on the development of U-tapao airport would be completed within 3-6 months and an auction among contractors would likely take place this year. 

As for the construction of the Digital Park in Chon Buri province, the minister said 68 billion baht would be spent on the construction of the park which would include electric train development.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-14

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

the position of regional hub of aviation, said Mr. Somkid. 

Yet another "Hub".

I liked U-tapao when the parking lots were empty & I could go to Samui or Phuket for a change.

I came back from Samui once & some idiot appeared out of the blue wanting to charge me for parking.

My truck had been there a 10 days & he asked me how long I'd been there? I told him 2 days and gave him 100 baht.

There was about 30 acres of empty parking out there, maybe 6 vehicles... I thought it was funny.

Ahh the good old days of U-tapao.

Edited by jaywalker

A year or two ago Utapao was a breeze and parking not a problem but now it is very busy and parking a big issue.

There is a new terminal opening soon and hopefully there will be adequate parking provided.  But obviously TIT so who knows.

Also 331 has been widened all the way down so obviously Utapao is being looked at as a safety valve for the airports in Bangkok. 

>Another project to be considered by the committee is the Bangkok-Rayong high-speed train expected to seamlessly connect Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi and U-tapao airports

Aaahhh...those dreams again. HighSpeed trains, "seamlessly", hubs, "within 2 years...", connections etc. etc. Dream on.