1 cabin bag of 7 kg only in AirAsia -- what's the status?

chado

I just booked a flight on Air Asia yesterday. They want, I think it was 350 baht for one checked bag. To get to the point, I bought a wheeled soft sided bag that I use for carry on. I have used that bag for many years on many airlines with no problems. The Air Asia website bag measurements looked kind of strange so I measured my bag. It is three centimeters too big on all three measurements. (W, L. and H.) I went ahead and paid for a checked in bag but it feels like a ripoff. Not such a big deal and I need more weight than 7 KG. The one checked bag can weigh 20 KG. My ticket was advertised for 1,040 baht one way. By the time I paid with a credit card, it was well over 1,500 baht.

It is still a pretty cheap flight but I wish they would do away with the tricky deceptive advertising. And no. I couldn't choose a different airline. I usually fly Nok but they had no flight to where I wanted to go.

It's just their way of forcing more checked bags, thus extracting more money from their customers. If strictly enforced, likely half of all carry-on bags would exceed 7 kg!

56 minutes ago, jerojero said:

It's just their way of forcing more checked bags, thus extracting more money from their customers. If strictly enforced, likely half of all carry-on bags would exceed 7 kg!

Just my old wheeled carryon bag weighs 4.5 KG.

Went to SGN from DMK on April 1st with Air Asia. My holdall and smaller messenger bag were not checked but they had weighing scales by the gate at DMK and were checking any big cabin max type suitcases or other big heavy looking bags and any overweight were made to be put in the hold and charged. A monk with about 4-5 bags was told no way and also had to check most of them.

Coming back from SGN on Tuesday this week the screen was confirming again it was now 2 bags combined 7kg but they were not checking any.

I'd say at DMK you shouldn't risk it, they are def checking.

On 2017/4/6 at 0:33 AM, Shaksey said:

Went to SGN from DMK on April 1st with Air Asia. My holdall and smaller messenger bag were not checked but they had weighing scales by the gate at DMK and were checking any big cabin max type suitcases or other big heavy looking bags and any overweight were made to be put in the hold and charged. A monk with about 4-5 bags was told no way and also had to check most of them.

Coming back from SGN on Tuesday this week the screen was confirming again it was now 2 bags combined 7kg but they were not checking any.

I'd say at DMK you shouldn't risk it, they are def checking.

web check in, that is, check in in advance but without checking it a laggage, won't help, will it?

• 2 weeks later...

On the 13th, I flew from Chiang Mai to Penang with a change of planes in KL. My standard backpack weighs about 6 kg full and my camera bag about 4 kg. Both look fairly small. Neither were checked at CNX or KL. At KL though, the boarding for the flight to Penang was a bit chaotic. There was no bag weighing but there was no serious passenger screening at the gate either. By the time a little over half of the passengers were loaded, all the overhead bins were full. My best guess is because a large portion of the people that I saw getting on ahead of me had more than one carry-on bag and at least one (some had 2) personal items. The gate agents just waved them through. When I got on, they tried to have me gate check my backpack. I very politely refused since I had some camera equipment in it. The on-board flight attendant was very helpful and managed to squeeze it into one of the bins. Because of all the people that had to check their bags at the airplane door, we were about an hour late leaving the gate.

On the way back today, it was a different kink of chaos. The Penang gate staff were actually weighing bags and size checking them if they looked overly large or heavy and requiring passengers with more than one carry-on to check all but one of them. Not sure if they were charged or not. Basically resulted in another hour delay leaving for KL. In KL, no active checking going on for the flight back to CNX. 

My bags evidently didn't look large enough or heavy enough because they weren't checked anywhere. 

David

Your odds of being called out for over baggage are at the ticket desk more so than at the gate... get their app on you phone and get your boarding pass from the ATM kiosk of have a friend keep the bag away from the ticket gate and you collect the tickets alone 

On 07/04/2017 at 3:52 PM, chado said:

web check in, that is, check in in advance but without checking it a laggage, won't help, will it?

I usually do web check-in, and pre-print my boarding-pass, thus by-passing the regular check-in queues/possibility-of-a-weight-check at-that-point, and proceed direct to Security and the Gate.

So the first Air Asia see of me or my carry-ons, is at the gate, when they're trying to get us all boarded & the aircraft departed.

In the past I've not had any problem, but I don't use large carry-on bags, also put books/laptop into the 2nd-bag (coputer-bag) which I hope is less-likely to be weighed at-the-gate, than my day-pack with my bulkier-but-lighter clothes.

I took a flight from Don Muang to Yangon and there hasn't been nothing related to bag checking whatsoever: neither weight, nor size. I haven't seen anyone's bag being checked at all. Not only on my flight, but at all. Funny, that I saw some people with pretty big bags.

Is it better apart from web check in, load in a plan in the end of queue? Just in case they'd want to weigh  my bags or measure the size?

Edited by chado