1 cabin bag of 7 kg only in AirAsia -- what's the status?

chado

I've been seeing that for around 2 years already. But I see it more and more often lately, like they're preparing all their passangers that the day will come and ....  Today I heard an annoucement in a plain about the matter 2 times.

Or do they really charge already for more that cabin 2 bags or if they weight more that 7 kg? But I've been carrying 3 cabin bags: 2 laptops in 2 bags and 1 big backpack of around 15kg and have made  around 15 flights starting last year up til now and no problem -- no one has ever asked me about my bags.

Edited by chado

One cabin bag/handbag, 1 laptop - 7kg total. Can't blame them if they enforce it. You seem to be taking the michael by going way overweight. AA is a budget airline who make up revenue by charging for baggage... people circumventing it end up screwing it for everyone else. Your backpack should go in the hold, matey boy. 

This policy has been in place since their inception. There was a time about 5 years ago that AirAsia flight out of Kuala Lumpur had a scale just before passport control, and they enforced it quite vigorously, more so than other airports.

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C100PA using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, ChristianBlessing said:

This policy has been in place since their inception.

Completely wrong. checked-in luggage has been free for many years.

Domestic Indonesian AirAsia flights still have a free luggage allowance included nowadays

I flew back from Yangon on air asia the 9th of March.

they made an announcement that starting march 16th ONLY 2 bags TOTAL weight of 7 kilos would be allowed

I usually travel with 2 carry on bags (one is a small backpack with cameras in  it)  never been weighed

I just booked a flight on Air Asia yesterday. They want, I think it was 350 baht for one checked bag. To get to the point, I bought a wheeled soft sided bag that I use for carry on. I have used that bag for many years on many airlines with no problems. The Air Asia website bag measurements looked kind of strange so I measured my bag. It is three centimeters too big on all three measurements. (W, L. and H.) I went ahead and paid for a checked in bag but it feels like a ripoff. Not such a big deal and I need more weight than 7 KG. The one checked bag can weigh 20 KG. My ticket was advertised for 1,040 baht one way. By the time I paid with a credit card, it was well over 1,500 baht.

It is still a pretty cheap flight but I wish they would do away with the tricky deceptive advertising. And no. I couldn't choose a different airline. I usually fly Nok but they had no flight to where I wanted to go.

It seems to vary with the airport. Flying out of Bangkok I have not had problems but flying out of Phnom Penh, they not only weight but also check measurements and generally give grief for any but the tiniest cabin bag.  The guard stationed at the entrance to the escalator who checks for boarding passes, also checks the carry on sizes. It would be impractical to do this n Bangkok airport, simply too many people.

It seems to vary with the airport. Flying out of Bangkok I have not had problems but flying out of Phnom Penh, they not only weight but also check measurements and generally give grief for any but the tiniest cabin bag.  The guard stationed at the entrance to the escalator who checks for boarding passes, also checks the carry on sizes. It would be impractical to do this n Bangkok airport, simply too many people.

That guy near the escalator recently insisted that my pre-printed boarding pass wasn't acceptable. I had to wait in the line at the Air Asia counter for a new one. The agent at the desk asked why I was requesting a new pass...Sigh.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Naam said:

AirAsia is not an airline. it's a flying disease! :sick:

Voted the best budget airline in the world since many years for a reason. ThaiAirAsia is a pleasure and has a fantastic on-time performance. The reason why I rarely use them is that they are in most cases more expensive than other budget airlines or even legacy carriers (for example on my standard route BKK - KUL, where MH is in 90% of the cases cheaper than AirAsia).

12 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

Voted the best budget airline in the world since many years for a reason. ThaiAirAsia is a pleasure and has a fantastic on-time performance. The reason why I rarely use them is that they are in most cases more expensive than other budget airlines or even legacy carriers (for example on my standard route BKK - KUL, where MH is in 90% of the cases cheaper than AirAsia).

Really? I don't remember a time when any other company was cheaper than AirAsia. AirAsia is always cheaper. When I'm doing a search on skyscanner to compare price, AA is always on the 1st place with the lowest price.

On 2017/3/18 at 9:49 AM, phuketrichard said:

I flew back from Yangon on air asia the 9th of March.

they made an announcement that starting march 16th ONLY 2 bags TOTAL weight of 7 kilos would be allowed

I usually travel with 2 carry on bags (one is a small backpack with cameras in  it)  never been weighed

I took a flight on 16th from KL to Thailand, no one checked  my  3 cabin bags.

Edited by chado

9 minutes ago, chado said:

Really? I don't remember a time when any other company was cheaper than AirAsia. AirAsia is always cheaper. When I'm doing a search on skyscanner to compare price, AA is always on the 1st place with the lowest price.

If you add their charges (luggage, seat, meal, credit card "convenience fee") they are definitely not. And I have more than 800 flights within South-East-Asia under my belt.

Tell me ONE route where AirAsia is usually the cheapest.

Things changed a little two weeks ago when NOK started to charge extra for luggage, which was probably the most stupid decision their not-so-smart CEO ever made

Skyscanner is HIGHLY deceiving due to the fact they do not include charges

Edited by siam2007

4 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

If you add their charges (luggage, seat, meal, credit card "convenience fee") they are definitely not. And I have more than 800 flights within South-East-Asia under my belt.

Tell me ONE route where AirAsia is usually the cheapest.

Things changed a little two weeks ago when NOK started to charge extra for luggage, which was probably the most stupid decision their not-so-smart CEO ever made

Skyscanner is HIGHLY deceiving due to the fact they do not include charges

Do you buy meals, sit, etc? I don't buy anything, thus AA is always cheaper for me.

Skyscanner is ok for comparing prices.

8 minutes ago, chado said:

I took a flight on 16th from KL to Thailand, no one checked  my  3 cabin bags.

From my own experience, the policy varies, depending on your point of departure. In Malaysia for example, they are under heavy pressure from excellent MALINDOAIR, whose fares always include checked-in luggage.

So AA have to be a tad less restrictive otherwise MALINDO will eat even more of AA's lunch. And on the route to BKK/DMK, Malaysia Airlines is usually not more expensive than AA, considering MH gives u 30 KG of free allowance plus meal and free seat allocation upon online check-in. If you always travel light and have carry-on only, this is another story

A baiting post and reply to same have been removed.

In my experience, Air Asia fares differ greatly depending on how far from the departure date they are booked. They start out being cheaper but as the date of departure nears become as expensive or more than others.

9 out of 10 times air asia ( no Babbage check,no meals, no seat) is cheaper.  WHo cares abou tur seat or a meal on a flight less than 2 hours.

I dont agree anymore than booking far in advance is cheaper,  I just booked an air asia flight Yangon- Bangkok- Phuket the day before i flew ( march 9th) and it was only $105. Nok was $45 more

I flew DMK-CNX on 19th March, one 7kg day-pack & one 7kg laptop-bag, no checks or problem.

But if they do start to enforce the limit, then I'll have to switch airlines.

Edited by Ricardo

On 2017/3/21 at 9:05 AM, phuketrichard said:

9 out of 10 times air asia ( no Babbage check,no meals, no seat) is cheaper.  WHo cares abou tur seat or a meal on a flight less than 2 hours.

I dont agree anymore than booking far in advance is cheaper,  I just booked an air asia flight Yangon- Bangkok- Phuket the day before i flew ( march 9th) and it was only $105. Nok was $45 more

it can be. however, I didn't buy a ticket KL-BKK a week or 2 in advance while there were some cheap tickets for about $30. I though maybe they'd be even cheaper :)  and ended up with tickets for $70 for the cheapest one, the normal price was around $90. I waited, and waited, an waited in KL because I didn't want to pay that much.

why so expensive? it's just a 2 hour flight, and a very popular destination, it must be cheap.

Edited by chado

FYI:
news letter today

cabin_baggage.png

http://www.airasia.com/th/en/baggage-info/cabin-baggage.page?ckel=2112691416&sc_src=email_166696&sc_lid=12069798&sc_uid=Jtaoglcyz8&sc_llid=203770&utm_medium=email&utm_source=aa_marketing&utm_campaign=th-en|aa_th_tactical|schoolbreak|27032017&sc_eh=e9fccb5a120ffa9a1

Only one cabin bag...

You’re only allowed one piece of cabin bag on board that must not exceed 56cm x 36cm x 23cm including handles, wheels and side pockets. This bag must be able to fit in the overhead compartment.

...and one small bag

In addition to that, you may carry one piece of  laptop bag, handbag, backpack or any other small bag that must not exceed 40cm x 30cm x 10cm. This item must be able to fit under the seat in front of you.

1 laptop bag

The total permitted weight for two (2) pieces must not exceed 7kg.