orang37

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/18/2017 at 5:55 PM, NancyL said:

So, I guess I could sorta, kinda be included as part of Category B. \

Hi Nancy,

I would never categorize you :)  Nor, would I ever assume ... given your preferred mode of being/action during Songkraan ... that your words in any way implied you did not respect, or, enjoy, Songkraan.

I must remember that many readers here have trouble distinguishing irony and sarcasm, let alone constructions involving double negation.

Je ne t'accuse,  o:37;

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2017 at 3:13 PM, louse1953 said:

Your right.I was lucky enough to go to Pai in the early 90's and it was a chilled place.Went through in 2007 and stopped  one night.Will never see me again,the place is ruined.But that's ok by me,because it keeps all those pretend hipppys confined to one place.They are too lazy to get out to the other cool spots that i will not mention here.

Luckily Pai is more than the bagpacker ghetto. Plenty of places to stay nowhere near a fisherman pants wearing dread head.

I passed through once to check it out. Went by the bus station where they hang out- laughed so much almost had an accident.

They are too lazy to get out to the other cool spots that i will not mention here.

Unfortunately they did discover Mae Hong Son, but they are not too much of a nuisance, yet.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 3/19/2017 at 9:57 AM, Trujillo said:

The OP says:  "...locating our physical body somewhere at altitude high enough to be much more now."

You need to be at "altitude high enough to be much more now?"

What is "much more now"? 

Do you mean "naao" (หนาว)  as in cool? 

If that's the case, then Chiang Dao, as nice as it might be, will not be any cooler than where you are now (unless of course hike and stay at the very top of Doi Chiang Dao.)

By the way, this thread seems to have been hijacked into a Songkran thread rather than a, "Where to go to avoid it" thread, which seems to be the OP's intent. 

Lots of off-topic stuff here, unfortunately. 

Yes, starting with a semi-incorrect language lesson for no reason;  let's add to the fun by adding a more accurate one while bringing it on topic at the same time:

หนาว (Naow)  does not mean cool.  (That would be 'yen'), it means 'cold', as in discomfort: feeling cold.   A cool breeze or pleasant coolness is never 'naow', also an inanimate object is never 'naow', such as a block of ice:  to stay on topic, when you get a bucket of icy water dumped on top of you then you may feel 'naow' afterwards, but the bucket didn't feel cold.

* The OP seems to have clarified that he never intended it as a 'where to go to avoid it topic', just as a question on where he might find cooler temperatures during this time at high heat.  To which my own answer would be that April 12-15 are by FAR the coolest I feel in Chiang Mai; walking around wet all day has a predictably cooling effect.  So to be coolest: join the celebrations. 

On 3/17/2017 at 8:41 PM, Thaidream said:

It has nothing to do with age. I remember Songkran in 1967- a gentler and milder time but fun. There is no fun now- people trying to cause others to fall from motorcycles; drunks everywhere; ice thrown at car windows; people who do not want to participate forced to endure. 

1967. .... YOu mean this 1967?

Bradbeer-Songkran.png

Or this 1967?

Bradbeer-Songkran1.png

Or this one?

Bradbeer-Songkran5.png

Yes very gentle. 

Or maybe we can go further back.. let's rewind further back to see how tranquil it was..  

oh.. wait.

quiet-respectful1964.jpg.5a513abd9496252c4a3b167d63d25024.jpg