visa confusion, hope someone can help

Ok, I have checked here and google etc trying to find my way through the visa chaos.

A little background... Im a US resident, but work overseas for one of the big 3 oil companies... I work 1 month on and 1 month off and am wanting to spend my offtime Thailand... My company is asking me to prove to them that i would legally be able to spend my off time in Thailand... the way i see it, there are no maximum amounts of entry if you come via airline... So a tourist visa would be acceptable in my mind... However, this may not work for them so i am looking for alternatives... As i want to enroll into a local college to learn Thai, so an education visa may work, but leaving the country every 30 days may not work for the requirements for that... So looking to everyone here who may be able to explain my alternatives.

The current plan is Chiang mai, as a base and explore from there... Ive been to Thailand a few times in the last few years and have pretty much loved everywhere i went.. Single man, 45 years old and make really good money in the O and G... Looking to explore my potential retirement places after my current project in russia is done....

Thanks for any info , I appreciate all responses

Tex

• Like 2

Texxan, a tourist visa or a visa-exempt may indeed be not sufficient prove for your employer. 

If you happen to own a property it may be possible to hand them a copy (with a legalized translation) of your house registration or rental contract and accompanied by a residence statement from your embassy. 

You stated in your post that you're close to retirement; you could consider a retirement visa with a multiple re-entry permit. 

That will at least show that you are allowed to reside in Thailand legally. 

Edited by joepattaya1961

Tourist entries (even visa exempt) would likely work. An education visa would not work. Immigration expects study to be in a largely uninterrupted block. I assume your employer is proposing to pay your travel costs, and wants to be assured of the costs they will incur. If they will not accept that you can enter as a regular tourist (perhaps, a multiple entry tourist visa would help there) then maybe only a Thailand Elite visa will satisfy them.

37 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Theoretically the OP can enter on a visa exempt, stay the 30 days or so he needs to, then depart for work and repeat, however, 2 issues, one being that he may get pulled at some point, as the general guidance from MFA is: 'Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.'

The 90 days in 6 months rule was rescinded in 2008. There are a few odd embassy and consulate websites that still have it. It does not appear on the MFA website.

42 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Sorry, but I don't quite understand why coming in on a 30 day visa exempt entry and then extending this by 30 days would in anyway assist the OP?

The OP has stated that he works a rotation of 30 days on / 30 days off (1 month on / 1 month off) so extending is of little purpose?

Theoretically the OP can enter on a visa exempt, stay the 30 days or so he needs to, then depart for work and repeat, however, 2 issues, one being that he may get pulled at some point, as the general guidance from MFA is: 'Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.'

Second being the point of his post, which was that he wasn't sure if his company would accept visa exempt entries.

As the OP is not yet 50, then if he truly wants to spend time in Thailand, then his best option would be to spend the first couple of times on visa exempt entries, then if he does like Thailand and wants to make it his home at retirement, then purchase the 5 year Elite program.

30 on and 30 of equals 90 days in 6 month periods

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 90 days in 6 months rule was rescinded in 2008. There are a few odd embassy and consulate websites that still have it. It does not appear on the MFA website.

Not sure about it being rescinded, however, it is most definitely on the MFA website, that is where I took the quote from! MFA Q & A  and see the answers to the first question.

Also, given the fact that there are several reports lately of people being refused entry for a variety of reasons on visa exempts, tourist visas etc. then if it was me, I would not take the chance, as by definition the OP will more than likely end up building a life here during these work periods, then an entry refusal could cause all sorts of issues for him.

It is a personal choice, but if earning the big $$ and you want to have some sort of certainty (as much as one can dealing with Thai Immigration!!) then really the best option is the Elite program, the OP has to find a solution that is acceptable to his company as well.

Edited by Mattd
x

27 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Not sure about it being rescinded, however, it is most definitely on the MFA website, that is where I took the quote from! MFA Q & A  and see the answers to the first question.

I don't consider a something from an outdated Q&A section official.

This is the police order that rescinded the rule in 2008. visa exemp tPO 778-2551_en.pdf

• Like 1

Fair enough, though the fact does still remain that people are getting refused at entry, some for legitimate reasons others not, plus seemingly an increasing number of people are getting questioned by immigration if they are seen to have a number of exempt entries in their passport.

Again, it is up to the individual as to how they want to do it, I was in exactly the same position as the OP from 1989 through to 2004, the first 8 years were on visa exempt entries and were never a problem, then I got married and went to ME non-O visas, times have moved on since then and if I was like the OP single with no dependants here and put in to the same position again, then I would not hesitate to purchase the 5 year elite program purely for peace of mind.

Edited by Mattd
x

If you have 10M Baht to put in a Thai Bank (or other approved investments), you could get 1-year extensions based on investment without losing significant money on a temporary 'elite' visa.  The 10M is your money, and stays your money.  You can even invest some of it in a new condo (but not a used one).  This visa is renewable in perpetuity based on the original money deposited.

If you are 50+, you can get a 1-year extension based on retirement - you don't have to "be retired" outside of Thailand - just not work "in" Thailand.  The only restriction is 50 yo with income of 65K Baht /mo (shown via Embassy letter), or 800K Baht in the bank, or a combination of those totaling 800K Baht/yr.

If neither of those will work, I would get a Multi-Entry Tourist Visa.  That visa is good for multiple entries, up to 60 days each, for up to 6 months from the date of issue.  A cert-of-residence from your embassy to a Thai address might help in combination with this.

On the Education-bit, there is an outfit in Chang Mai which is run by ex-military, who teach 'personal self defense'.  Due to their connections, essentially "out-ranking" immigration in the command hierarchy, they may be able to make an Ed-Visa work for you on an on-off basis.  Another option is the 1-Year Multi-Entry Ed visa, only obtainable in your home-country at an "official" (not honorary) consulate.  That would seem to be ideal for "on off" study.  You would need paperwork from a Thai school to apply back home.

Note that you could do the Visa-Exempt thing for a while, but will eventually get pulled aside, hassled, and eventually rejected entry - even though it is clear your presence is an asset to Thailand and you are not working here.  They are tasked to find people to reject each day, so if you have several entries prior, and attempt to enter Visa-Exempt, you will be targeted. 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Sure, will you buy me one?

You completely mis-understand sunshine .... I was answering this guy  ... Single man, 45 years old and make really good money in the O and G.

He wishes to satisfy the needs of his boss, immigration and himself (so when I used everyone I meant those concerned). At his age the Thai Elite Visa is the easiest and will be the least hassle for him.  I got three likes so at least three people understood what I meant.

And NO :smile: sorry

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

As you possibly make good money in oil and gas industry, you could possibly buy  a Thailand ELITE visa .

I think you can come and go as you wish and get VIP express lane at the airport. ( BKK ).  I think they have a 5 year ELITE visa .

This way you can show you employer this 5 year ELITE visa.

Others members can confirm

On 3/17/2017 at 8:58 AM, JAS21 said:

You completely mis-understand sunshine .... I was answering this guy  ... Single man, 45 years old and make really good money in the O and G.

He wishes to satisfy the needs of his boss, immigration and himself (so when I used everyone I meant those concerned). At his age the Thai Elite Visa is the easiest and will be the least hassle for him.  I got three likes so at least three people understood what I meant.

And NO :smile: sorry

I certainly did misunderstand your use of the word "everyone".  I did however figure out that "suite" meant "suit".

Hi Tex, 

I was in the same situation as you a few years ago minus the employers requirements (which I am curious about). 

In any case, for each rostered leave I would just fly in and get my 30 day stamp. Never overstayed as I had to be back at work before the 30 days ran out. Did that for about 7 years. There was no problem for me as I was not living or working in Thailand (which is what the authorities are looking for--guys with back to back exemptions living and working in Thailand without proper visa and work permit). I.e. doing a border run the same day. 

As well, they could see I had a long-term work visa/residency permit in my country of employ--work outside of Thailand and just come here for holidays. 

You should have no problems with Thai Immigration, though your status as a US resident may be effected. Also, not sure of the stipulations of your employer. Seems strange. Please inform. 

In any case, perhaps print the link another poster provided about visa exempt countries. That should do the trick.