Vets to give update on Ormsin the turtle

webfact

Vets to give update on Ormsin the turtle 
By The Nation

f4e0a47e7bf249e789c231e87fc8c161.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- A veterinary team from Chulalongkorn University on Tuesday will hold a press conference to discuss the condition of Ormsin, the sea turtle in a coma since last weekend after undergoing surgery to remove hundreds of coins from its stomach.

The 25-year-old female turtle became an international celebrity after more than 900 coins were removed from its stomach in a six-hour operation.

Ormsin’s condition deteriorated after the operation, forcing vets to carry out another emergency operation at the weekend.

Led by Dr Nantarika Chansue, of Chulalongkorn University’s veterinary centre, the conference will take place at 1pm at Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Veterinary Science.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30309749

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-21

Solly but didn't i read here that it could swim again after the operation? So it was NOT in coma since the operation.

The operation wasn't successfull so it needed a 2nd operation and is in come since that i guess.

And why we need this announcement about the update? Just give the update.

PIggy Bank, giant sea turtle who ate too many coins, 25

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

17309659_10155346035544271_6143532036781

Veterinarian Nantarika Chansue bonds with her patient, 25-year-old Piggy Bank the sea turtle, in a photo posted March 14. Photo: Nantarika Chansue / Facebook

BANGKOK — A 25-year-old sea turtle who had five kilograms of coins surgically from her stomach died this morning of complications stemming from the procedure, her veterinarian team announced Tuesday afternoon.

Nantarika Chansue, the Chulalongkorn University vet who operated on Piggy Bank and tended to her recovery, was crying at an afternoon news conference to announce the turtle’s death.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2017/03/21/piggy-bank-dies-surgery-complications/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-03-21

Coin-eating turtle dies from complications

d5b3f9b6c30b126a77449ca15def161b.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Ormsin, a sea turtle that became an international celebrity, died on Tuesday.

The 25-year-old turtle died from sa blood infection. Her condition deteriorated after a second operation over the weekend.

She had been in intensive care ever since with a weak pulse and was being given  oxygen.  Her vetinerarry surgeons announced the death on Tuesday afternoon.

Last week, the vet team extracted 915 coins from Ormsin's stomach during a  first operation. The turtle had swallowed the coins thrown into her pond by people who believed it would bring longevity and good luck.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309776

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-21

I took a picture of a dead turtle in the Sri Racha pier turtle pond maybe 3 years ago. Emailed a few different organisations but no one wanted to do anything, they just wished me luck in finding a solution for the other turtles. Low water, scummy pond, full of coins, people paying to feed them those crappy fish food pellets. Sea turtles are protected by international law, technically, but here we are keeping them hostage in some shitty tank for 30-baht a pop food.

I hope their situation has improved, but, well, I have learned not to hope for animal welfare too much in the kingdom... 

16 minutes ago, sobriquet said:

I took a picture of a dead turtle in the Sri Racha pier turtle pond maybe 3 years ago. Emailed a few different organisations but no one wanted to do anything, they just wished me luck in finding a solution for the other turtles. Low water, scummy pond, full of coins, people paying to feed them those crappy fish food pellets. Sea turtles are protected by international law, technically, but here we are keeping them hostage in some shitty tank for 30-baht a pop food.

I hope their situation has improved, but, well, I have learned not to hope for animal welfare too much in the kingdom... 

Well Thailands best university tried to rescue it but it didn't help unfortunately.

All they can do now is make sure the rest of the turtles won't eat anymore coins, they even can give them a nice home so visitors can come to see them and pay 30 baht to feed them some decent food.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor burgers zoo seaturtle

Look Thailand, this is how farang keep their turtles and even make money out of it.

Gerelateerde afbeelding

Look Thailand, if you want to lure Quality Tourists you'll have to build something like this...

Edited by fruitman

Good luck coins prove fatal for Thai 'piggy bank' turtle

r13.jpg

Omsin, a 25 year old female green sea turtle, had 915 coins removed from her stomach earlier this month is pictured inside an ICU room at the Faculty of Veterinary Science, Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand, March 20, 2017. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha/Files

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A 25-year-old Thai sea turtle died from blood poisoning on Tuesday, never recovering from an operation to remove 915 coins from her stomach, thrown into her pool for good luck, veterinarians said.

The green turtle named Omsin, "piggy bank" in Thai, underwent a seven-hour-long operation this month to remove 5 kg (11 lb) of coins which she had mistaken for food.

But Omsin, who lived at a conservation centre in Chonburi, east of the Thai capital Bangkok, was rushed into intensive care on Sunday night, breathing too slowly. She received an emergency operation on Monday, after which she went into a coma.

Her fate had preoccupied Thais, who cherish turtles as a symbol of longevity, and the vets had urged people to pray for her recovery.

"Her cause of death is blood poisoning," one of the vets told reporters.

The gap in Omsin's stomach left by the removal of the coins caused her intestine to become strangled, blocking blood flow, the vets said. Acute infection in the intestine then caused blood infection.

They also said they would perform an autopsy on Omsin as a case study, which would benefit the treatment of turtles in the future.

"She is our teacher," another vet said.

(Reporting by Patpicha Tanakasempipat and Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Nick Macfie)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-21