Vietnam tourist visa requirements

Hello community! I'm planning to get my Thai visa from Vietnam and I'd like to know which are the requirements for getting a VOA for Vietnam. I have the invitation letter and the ticket to Thailand.. is there anything else that  they might ask for at the airport? Thank you!

If you have the invitation letter for Vietnam (and it's legit; there are some online frauds for those), you should be good to go. There'll be an application form to be submitted along with the letter on arrival: it should have accompanied the letter when you rcvd that, but they're available when you arrive.  I read somewhere Vietnam was going to initiate an online e-visa thing, but I'm pretty sure that's not off the ground yet.

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

If you have the invitation letter for Vietnam (and it's legit; there are some online frauds for those), you should be good to go. There'll be an application form to be submitted along with the letter on arrival: it should have accompanied the letter when you rcvd that, but they're available when you arrive.  I read somewhere Vietnam was going to initiate an online e-visa thing, but I'm pretty sure that's not off the ground yet.

it is up and running

https://www.evisa.com.vn/

https://vietnamvisa.govt.vn/

But one other thing worth mentioning is that if your passport is from a G7 country you don't need a Visa to enter Vietnam for up to 15 days.

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Asiantravel----I think this is incorrect. Where did you get this information. I returned from Hanoi a few months ago---Americans were still being charged a lot more than any other country to enter. When did this change ??? It is free for certain countries (6) to enter free.

Please note that between 1 July 2016 and 30 June 2017, holders of British, German, French, Spanish, Belarus and Italian passports will not require a visa for stays of up to 15 days. It is not yet known whether that exemption will extend beyond June 2017.

www.tripadvisor.com

Are you getting G7 mixed up with EU..

If it has changed & I am wrong---apologies in advance..............:coffee1:

yes sorry it's not G7:unsure: but the exemption extends well beyond the six countries that you have listed.

I came back from Vietnam one month ago and enjoyed 15 days Visa free

on Wikipedia 13 countries are listed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Vietnam

Edited by Asiantravel

I'm heading to VN  from BKK in a few weeks....just got my visa on line for 25 USD.  They just sent me a letter to my email address and will show it at VN Immigration....hope it all works out? ???

P.S. I am from the US

Edited by chicowoodduck
Add text
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

I'm heading to VN  from BKK in a few weeks....just got my visa on line for 25 USD.  They just sent me a letter to my email address and will show it at VN Immigration....hope it all works out? ???

P.S. I am from the US

I've done this previously, no problems at all, you turn up at the counter at the airport and depending on how busy it is it takes ~10mins for them to process the visa. 

Chicowoodduck, I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but I don't think you have a visa.  

That sounds like just the letter from an agency, authorizing the issue of a Visa on Arrival.

There'll be another fee to pay for the issue of the visa, and potentially a long queue, occasionally well over an hour.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

I think you'll find that is restricted to marriage......

It may well be what he meant 12Drink--his English wasn't great--which is a still a step up on what I have here, also you can enter leave without restrictions. Called a Visa free policy .

The visa-free policy was finally approved by the government, after Deputy Prime Minister Pham Binh Minh urged the Ministry of Public Security to speed up the preparation of the decree in July.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

I isinink this may be right--- $-when you said $25 it seemed far to cheap for what their were (are) asking from Americans. In fact there was an argument going on as I was entering---an American was upset at the 2 price policy. Asking why he had to pay more than other nationals... a Canadian lent over to him & said...."think about it---the answer might come to you"

I've seen the letter advertised online for as little as A$15.00, but the fee on arrival Is A$90.00!!

I put my visa app to the embassy In the post today to avoid the queues I encountered the last couple of times.

5 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

I arrived at Hanoi 3 weeks ago, had my invitation letter, wasn't even required to fill out an application form, the details on my initial application for the letter of invitation must have been sufficient, but it wouldn't hurt to download and fill it out in case.  Once you get off the plane try and get to the desk as quickly as possible and you should be out and through passport control under 20 minutes (I was # 4 on the screen to pick up my passport with visa).

to me it sounds like the op is asking about getting a visa to thailand from vn..   but most likely by the responses i am wrong, but having said that, i am off to vn next month as well. and as a canadian i know i need a visa, but am able to get a visa on arrival. living in jomtien retirement visa.    but now the questions come up,  there are many online companies doing this.  has anyone used one of these companies and can recommend one..  is there more fees at the airport when you arrive?  what is the proceedure? 

thanks

doug

7 hours ago, wanderluster said:

to me it sounds like the op is asking about getting a visa to thailand from vn..   but most likely by the responses i am wrong, but having said that, i am off to vn next month as well. and as a canadian i know i need a visa, but am able to get a visa on arrival. living in jomtien retirement visa.    but now the questions come up,  there are many online companies doing this.  has anyone used one of these companies and can recommend one..  is there more fees at the airport when you arrive?  what is the proceedure? 

thanks

doug

I have done this a couple of times. I think the companies are all OK, just choose one that doesn't turn up any bad reports with an internet search.

They usually tell you on the website what the cost of a visa is at the airport in a addition to the letter of invitation. They both vary according to type of visa and length of stay.

You receive the invitation letter via email, always, in my case, with a bunch of other random names.

I do not understand why Vietnam allows this, except that doubtless it provides a substantial private income to the immigration officials "authorizing the letters" and the companies sending the letters.

• Like 2

I went to the Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok today to inquire about getting a visa.    For a 30 day, single entry visa the charge is B 2,200 and it takes 4 business days for US passport holders.      If you apply for the visa on-line some places charge $15 then upon arrival  you are charged another fee but I don't know how much or if it's the same for all nationalities.     Seems $25 is often quoted and if so then it would be about $20 cheaper to get the visa on-line.      Can anyone confirm what the fee on arrival is for US passport holders?

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:40 AM, 12DrinkMore said:

I have done this a couple of times. I think the companies are all OK, just choose one that doesn't turn up any bad reports with an internet search.

They usually tell you on the website what the cost of a visa is at the airport in a addition to the letter of invitation. They both vary according to type of visa and length of stay.

You receive the invitation letter via email, always, in my case, with a bunch of other random names.

I do not understand why Vietnam allows this, except that doubtless it provides a substantial private income to the immigration officials "authorizing the letters" and the companies sending the letters.

that's nothing!

The Americans are demanding neighbouring Cambodia actually pay back $500 million after carpet bombing them:giggle:

I just hope Cambodia waves the two fingers at them and increases Visa fees for Americans at the same time

Fury in Cambodia as US asks to be paid back hundreds of millions in war debts

Half a century after United States B-52 bombers dropped more than 500,000 tonnes of explosives on Cambodia's countryside Washington wants the country to repay a $US500 million ($662 million) war debt.

The demand has prompted expressions of indignation and outrage from Cambodia's capital, Phnom Penh.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/fury-in-cambodia-as-us-asks-to-be-paid-back-hundreds-of-millions-in-war-debts-20170311-guvxyp.html

On 3/27/2017 at 0:55 PM, hawker9000 said:

If you check the Vietnam Embassy site, certainly the Embassy in Australia site, they have a list of those agencies that aren't accredited.