Sorry, taxis: Uber will not suspend services in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

yea, it works well but not all people knows how to use a virtual private network on their PC's and even less knows how to set it up and use VPN on their phones.

Or uber can just host their servers on a cloud service that keeps changing the ip's .. :) If they really wanna block uber they gotta make google and apple remove the app from google play store and apple app store.

Edited by hobz

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, ricku said:

Block streets and stop who?

Have you ever seen a Uber car? They have no signs, special colors, or led lights. They look like an ordinary car who could be anyone. They don't even have a meter on the dashboard, since the customer gets that information through the smartphone app.

the entire business is done on the app. All the way from hailing / ordering a car,  to paying and rating the driver.

Even the BIB have no idea how to stop Uber drivers. lol

The current way to detect an uber is to check if it's a thai driver and foreign passengers... It's somewhat unreliable, but I wouldn't be suprised if it holds up as evidence in the thai justice system hahahahahahahah

2 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

I never used uber. But I don't like them. It's the way how they behave in different countries. Hope the Thai gov will find a solution to stop this arrogant company.

I agree that they are arrogant and possibly exploitative of the drivers. BUT There's nobody more arrogant than the "real" taxi (mafia) that overcharge, cheat, refuse to use meter, drive like they own the road, refuse passengers. 

Just now, hobz said:

I agree that they are arrogant and possibly exploitative of the drivers. BUT There's nobody more arrogant than the "real" taxi (mafia) that overcharge, cheat, refuse to use meter, drive like they own the road, refuse passengers. 

I agree too. And here lies the real problem. The gov is not able to force the laws and rules. It's only a chaos. If uber says, we don't care if we are illegal in Thailand or not, that's a loss of face for the authorities. I really hope, that they will go hard against uber and force the regular taxi drivers to use their meters.

2 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

I agree too. And here lies the real problem. The gov is not able to force the laws and rules. It's only a chaos. If uber says, we don't care if we are illegal in Thailand or not, that's a loss of face for the authorities. I really hope, that they will go hard against uber and force the regular taxi drivers to use their meters.

Exactly, I've been to Bangkok and I think the Taxi meter system there works REALLY WELL. Only a few drivers refuse to use meter.... If they could have that same system everywhere that they have in Bangkok (+ maybe an app for trip-planning and ordering) then I would not see any need for Uber. 

When Uber came to Chiang Mai it really changed how me and my gf go out to dinner etc. It's sad that it took a company like Uber to provide a comfortable, easy and fairly priced transportation. Specially when it should had always been like that if it wasn't for the sad state of law enforcement in this country.

Edited by hobz

20 minutes ago, hobz said:

Exactly, I've been to Bangkok and I think the Taxi meter system there works REALLY WELL. Only a few drivers refuse to use meter.... If they could have that same system everywhere that they have in Bangkok (+ maybe an app for trip-planning and ordering) then I would not see any need for Uber. 

Try to go somewhere more far... Rama9 to Rat Burana = I was refused by 30+ taxis, uncountable GrabTaxis until Uber's surge pricing went down... got an Uber in 3 minutes after

edit: also it was 2pm so no real traffic jam issues

Edited by 11223344

2 minutes ago, 11223344 said:

Try to go somewhere more far... Rama9 to Rat Burana = I was refused by 30+ taxis, uncountable GrabTaxis until Uber's surge pricing went down... got an Uber in 3 minutes after

Ok, sad (but not suprised) to hear that. I hope that taxis start to behave or they will definitely lose their customers to a better service. 

It's also quite disturbing that they go after Uber so hard now,, yet they allow the taxis to behave badly.. Maybe it's just the typical "crackdown" style of law enforcement... they already had their crackdowns on taximeters.. now it's ubers turn ... 

Edited by hobz

4 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Hahaha good jokes. Zero chance of those being implemented.

Besides which, a 'request' is not an 'order'.

Depends on your status. If your among the dirt poor you better hustle your behind in for a serious confab and we don't mean maybe. P.S. Hurry!!!!

3 hours ago, gdgbb said:

The same way that any law breakers do, they just do it.   Let's hope they crack down on the illegal, uninsured drivers even more until their service is legalised and passengers have the protection that registered, legal taxis provide.

Pass the Tylenol

3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I know this isn't the same thing but it is an interesting potential when a determined group of people stand up and say "No" to a government not accustomed to that.  Disobeying Direct Orders is an interesting choice of words.  Mutiny.  Insurrection.  A catalyst for Revolution? 

I suspect the thought of a few million peasants deciding they've had enough, keeps our beloved  PM awake some nights.

Thats why he cudgels up to his article 44 every night. 

The current way to detect an uber is to check if it's a thai driver and foreign passengers... It's somewhat unreliable, but I wouldn't be suprised if it holds up as evidence in the thai justice system hahahahahahahah

There have been sting operations where an undercover cop orders an uber, but the fine is only 2000 bht, and Uber covers the fine. These actions will probably be limited since Uber probably had legal representation on call, which limits backhands to the police. And we all know the police do very little.if backhands are not involved.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

3 hours ago, gdgbb said:

The same way that any law breakers do, they just do it.   Let's hope they crack down on the illegal, uninsured drivers even more until their service is legalised and passengers have the protection that registered, legal taxis provide.

I think Uber provides better insurance than the normal taxis. Google is your friend.

Just now, brucec64 said:

There have been sting operations where an undercover cop orders an uber, but the fine is only 2000 bht, and Uber covers the fine. These actions will probably be limited since Uber probably had legal representation on call, which limits backhands to the police. And we all know the police do very little.if backhands are not involved.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Yes, plus uber has ways to combat this technically it's said... They have some type of detection algorithm that detects set ups. 

Lol, I just realized the funniest situation.. The government will legalize Uber under the condition that Uber drivers registers themselves and their vehicles as being "Uber". They will be forced to have some type of Uber sticker visible on the windshield. This in turn will allow the polite gentlemen in the Taxi Lobby to dish out their own style of "justice" and will force Uber out of the airports etc :D Ofcourse the Uber drivers will adapt and not show the stickers and then we are back to square one .. or should i say square zero... or is it 5.0 now?

Edited by hobz

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

On Uber cars, I think BANGKOK taxi drivers have a legitimate beef over the competition because BANGKOK taxis are a pretty good system, and most drivers use meters, and the rates aren't bad.

But in cities like Pattaya and Chiang Mai where there has been no taxi meter system to speak of but instead a very unfair overpriced transport monopoly, well, they don't deserve to be protected any longer. 

try saying  that  lot  when  its raining in  bkk

1 hour ago, hobz said:

Even easier, call an Uber car and beat the crap out of whoever shows up.  Have your 50 other taxi thug buddies do the same and pretty soon, you'll get most of them and the rest will get the message.

That's my forecast, anyway.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Even easier, call an Uber car and beat the crap out of whoever shows up.  Have your 50 other taxi thug buddies do the same and pretty soon, you'll get most of them and the rest will get the message.

That's my forecast, anyway.

Yeah, that's the way justice works when the real justice system has failed. It's quite suprising that this has not happened yet. Maybe none of the Taxi guys knows how to use a smartphone? Because, you know, they are dumb. Or maybe their leaders have told them to never ever install uber app, because they are afraid that if their drivers see how easy it is to become an uber driver they might switch employers. 

Edited by hobz

3 minutes ago, hobz said:

Yeah, that's the way justice works when the real justice system has failed.

They don't call 'em the taxi mafia because they're polite.  Edit:  Or Italian.

Edited by impulse

Just now, fruitman said:

I love UBER and ATT, won't travel with normal taxi's if i have other options.

First I heard of ATT,, is it as good as Uber or will the drivers try to scam you? What areas do they service? Does it work in Chiang Mai?

Just now, hobz said:

First I heard of ATT,, is it as good as Uber or will the drivers try to scam you? What areas do they service? Does it work in Chiang Mai?

ATT has brand new Prius cars, very clean, they work by gps, have their speed published on the roof all the time and are cheaper than normal taxi's...you can also call them.

Their drivers are perfect, not selfish and all goes by metre.

Don't know for chiang mai. It's All Thai Taxi....

20 minutes ago, hobz said:

I think Uber provides better insurance than the normal taxis. Google is your friend.

Therein lies the Rub. Until I see a case where a passenger was injured in an accident, and Uber stepped right up to cover his costs ... " I think " ... tell that to the hospital.

Just now, fruitman said:

ATT has brand new Prius cars, very clean, they work by gps, have their speed published on the roof all the time and are cheaper than normal taxi's...you can also call them.

Hmmm.. they have 2.5 stars on facebook (protip, that's pretty bad). Lots of negative reviews. They scam and cheat alot it seems... https://www.facebook.com/allthaitaxi/?fref=ts

old outdated law; like so much in thailand; and the people in charge are like minded; change here , if at all, will come VERY slowly; keep the military in power (oops they keep themselves in power) and 3rd world will be the label here for a Long time

5 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

The government or police can't even do anything or clear up the illegal taxi mafia in my neighbourhood so why should UBER obey.

Because the cops always receive money from illegal operations while Uber is a legal entity which pays no bribes so it's of no benefit to the authorities.

1 hour ago, hobz said:

plus they use foul language or outright threaten not only foreigners, but local Thai customers as well.

every time I now walk past a guy yelling "TAXI" at me, I bark "UBER GRAB" at him. It makes me feel great, somehow  ;-)

1 hour ago, hobz said:

Hmmm.. they have 2.5 stars on facebook (protip, that's pretty bad). Lots of negative reviews. They scam and cheat alot it seems... https://www.facebook.com/allthaitaxi/?fref=ts

The few cases I was lucky enough to get hold of an ALL THAI TAXI, I had nothing but GREAT experiences. I can only guess that their competitors try to give them a bad name in FB.

I don't know anyone who has ever been refused a ride in an ALL THAI TAXI car or had to ask to switch on the meter.

ALL THAI TAXI is like a Singapore-experience

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

At one point in the life of every taxi ever built, and almost every taxi system on the earth, the car was brand new and the drivers hadn't figured out how to scam the system yet.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

At one point in the life of every taxi ever built, and almost every taxi system on the earth, the car was brand new and the drivers hadn't figured out how to scam the system yet.

If they scam i'm sure their boss will like to hear about it so he can take action.

Lately i don't see ATT that often anymore.