Selling up and leaving Thailand

autanic

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, autanic said:

I leave next week. Thank you for the positive comments and the well "expected" comments.

The truth is I have loved me time in Thailand. 

I could stay here destroyer the good memories I have, the people I have met and general being another Whinging Tom or I can try something new.

Yes I know the healthcare in Cambodia is not as good as Thailand.

Yes I know the food and water maybe contaminated, but I heard exactly the same arguments back in 1996 when I first came to Hua Hin.

Ever the optmist, I will leave on a high. the 15th April 2017, will see me start a new chapter in my life and no that does not mean, I will never come back to Thailand to Holiday, of course I will.

It just means the place I call home will be well, thats my business.

If you find me, join me on the beach and ask for Captain  Morgan's with Dandelion and Burdock. (My favourite drink). 

To the rest of my fellow Pioneers, Adventurers and Scoundrels.

God Bless, keep safe, keep well and get f----d regularly.

X

Autanic Out !

bye   ......  don't forget to write ...

On 3/29/2017 at 4:22 PM, Suradit69 said:

Yes, because those countries that had the good fortune to be exploited by the British , such as India, have hardly any bureaucracy at all.

On 3/31/2017 at 9:05 AM, nontabury said:

Would that include Singapore and H.K.?

For those that can afford it both places are worth considering as a base for S.E. Asia, though maybe not for those who do not want to be associated in any way with British Colonial history. What some HK expat retirees on more limited budgets do is retreat from the Centre to outlying islands or New Territories. Even in Kowloon there are places to be had but space more limited than what one might be used to in LOS.

Edited by SheungWan

18 hours ago, SheungWan said:

For those that can afford it both places are worth considering as a base for S.E. Asia, though maybe not for those who do not want to be associated in any way with British Colonial history. What some HK expat retirees on more limited budgets do is retreat from the Centre to outlying islands or New Territories. Even in Kowloon there are places to be had but space more limited than what one might be used to in LOS.

"What some HK expat retirees on more limited budgets do is retreat from the Centre to outlying islands or New Territories."

Can you give some examples of some locations that you've heard positive reports about.

Saikung would have to be one. New Territories, Tai Tam, Lamma, Taipo, Sheung Wan all depends on how much $$$ you have as HK is obscenely expensive.

Twenty or more years ago a retired Dutch couple from Oz and friends of my mum's sold everything in Oz and bought a luxury yacht worth about 3 mill back then as that's what they wanted to spend after unloading properties. They literally sailed around the world as he being an ex marine had the nous. Family thought their were insane.

They fell in love with HK and ended up here, still living on the 'boat' and they bought another 'boat' for her cats. The Park n Shop delivers groceries by boat to them hahahaha, what a life, living the dream. He's known as 'The Captain' to many of the locals.

If you are going to retire in HK, definitely stay away from the centre, where it is loud, cramped, smothering and you will be living in a shoe box definitely not an easy going life. Nobody wants to live in a concrete jungle . Not everyone can afford to live on a yacht but above are some ideas.

I'd post a few pics of our house but rather not, very happy here and not retired.

Wherever you do decide to retire and this is not just about HK, make certain of quality of life, health care, infrastructure, accessibility, social care, general expenses, visa issues, if you are near retirement and have children think of education and the astronomical costs here associated wit that, list goes on.

Don't end up somewhere where you can't sell if you are stuck and don't end up somewhere where you are miserable.

Edited by Minnie the Minx

Saikung would have to be one. New Territories, Tai Tam, Lamma, Taipo, Sheung Wan all depends on how much $$$ you have as HK is obscenely expensive.

Twenty or more years ago a retired Dutch couple from Oz and friends of my mum's sold everything in Oz and bought a luxury yacht worth about 3 mill back then as that's what they wanted to spend after unloading properties. They literally sailed around the world as he being an ex marine had the nous. Family thought their were insane.

They fell in love with HK and ended up here, still living on the 'boat' and they bought another 'boat' for her cats. The Park n Shop delivers groceries by boat to them hahahaha, what a life, living the dream. He's known as 'The Captain' to many of the locals.

If you are going to retire in HK, definitely stay away from the centre, where it is loud, cramped, smothering and you will be living in a shoe box definitely not an easy going life. Nobody wants to live in a concrete jungle . Not everyone can afford to live on a yacht but above are some ideas.

I'd post a few pics of our house but rather not, very happy here and not retired.

Wherever you do decide to retire and this is not just about HK, make certain of quality of life, health care, infrastructure, accessibility, social care, general expenses, visa issues, if you are near retirement and have children think of education and the astronomical costs here associated wit that, list goes on.

Don't end up somewhere where you can't sell if you are stuck and don't end up somewhere where you are miserable.

Tai tam and shueng wan? Definitely not for people on tight budget. You could do a google on property prices in Tai Tam[emoji3]

Sai kung is not cheap either unless you want to live in tiny village house with 6mb pccw internet connection. People choose to live in sai kung because they like a bit of greenery, fresh air and they do not like the daily hustle bustle of kowloon and hong kong side.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Minnie the Minx said:

If you are on a 'tight' budget' forget HK. 

Actually anyone should forget about settling in an 'exotic locale' if they are on a tight budget lol including Thailand.

How do Thais survive then? People can live well on 400,000 baht a year.

1 hour ago, Minnie the Minx said:

That 3m yacht would be worth about 500,000 now maybe less.

"Don't end up somewhere where you can't sell if you are stuck and don't end up somewhere where you are miserable."

Buy land. If you cant buy land buy elsewhere. Land goes up in value while buildings depreciate. And dont buy a yacht or motorhome. Simply rent one.

12 hours ago, hawkeye76 said:

Best of luck to OP. 

I agree that Thailand is becoming more and more difficult all the time. 

Personally i love the Philippines and will spend my old age there :-) 

i would too if the infrastructure was up to it... shopping is rubbish unless greenbelt or a huge mall but even those don't have the shops I like. Road are poor and begging is rife. Thailand is such a better choice for those reasons although I prefer Filipinos to most Thais

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

i would too if the infrastructure was up to it... shopping is rubbish unless greenbelt or a huge mall but even those don't have the shops I like. Road are poor and begging is rife. Thailand is such a better choice for those reasons although I prefer Filipinos to most Thais

Really? I find Philis annoying and wouldnt trust the women.

It's sad and funny to watch expat videos there where every channel has a video on going out to eat and do things because of another brownout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"What some HK expat retirees on more limited budgets do is retreat from the Centre to outlying islands or New Territories."

Can you give some examples of some locations that you've heard positive reports about.

It is possible to rent an apartment up to ~ 400 square foot in Lantau and New Territories for between 7500-10000 HKD pm. Kowloon 10k HKD gets you 200-300 sq ft. so too tight for space. A rough guide for buying is that the rental property of 10k per month will cost you 3 million HKD. That is 3 million + 15% + 15% = 3.9 million HKD.

Conversion is right now about 4.45 baht = 1 HKD, so 10,000HKD = 44,500 baht.

3.9 million HKD, call it 4mHKD  with add-on costs = 17.8 million baht.

18 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

For the outer areas have a look at feedback from the available HK expat forums. For HK Island I would point in the direction of Kennedy Town. There is a decent selection of variable price rental stock, you are at a tram terminus and now also have an MTR station.

Isn't the point of retirement though buying a place not renting? Rent is dead money unless you are a landlord raking it in.

HK if you are on a tight budget is in no way suitable. Quality of life etc as I mentioned before. 

Edited by Minnie the Minx

Sarcasm, and the whole country is a steaming shit hole!!

The country seems okay if you are out in the sticks could be like Thailand (judging from expat YouTube videos - food is terrible all around I hear). Brownouts are an issue, though.

My concern with Thailand is booming economy and getting more expensive to retire here...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk