Now give the "real" reason why you are leaving.

CharlieH

9 hours ago, whoareyou said:

Links? Put up or move on

No wonder your scared shirtless. If your going to spread conspiracy theories then you better be damned sure you can back them up!!!

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2017/02/23/bbc-journalist-faces-five-years-jail-for-thailand-reporting/

pretty much sums up everything anotheruser said

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, jenifer d said:

oh really??? just Brits and Aussies?!?!?!?

for extremely odious and increasingly obvious reasons,i wouldn't return to Amerikkka for a million dollars...   (gawd, do NOT let the Universe make me eat those words hahahaha) 

for me, (and anyone with any sense and understanding and basic empathy), the WORST day here in Thailand is better than the BEST day in the USA-

of course, i speak the language, understand and appreciate and observe the culture,

am loved and protected and respected by my neighborhood especially and by the entire

island generally  (the Thais, that is; many of the farangs here are  jealous of me because they DON'T speak the language or understand the culture, and they resent the fact that i am invited and encouraged to hang out with Thais and don't frequent haunts populated by groups of clueless expats)

As long as you are fluent in the language;  and have

such an understanding of the Thai culture, you do

realize you, will always 

be considered an outsider and

talked about behind your back.

14 hours ago, anotheruser said:

That question really depends on what you consider paradise and as always that what can not be escaped... how much money you have.

As we all know Thailand is the ultimate destination for the economic refugee.

Hmmmm Anotheruser you talk about me ..destination for the economic refugee. hahaha i would say 95% is combine reasons and definitely is economic 

2 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

As long as you are fluent in the language;  and have

such an understanding of the Thai culture, you do

realize you, will always 

be considered an outsider and

talked about behind your back.

Yep...talked about behind your back as they like to do that and we always be outsider. 

12 hours ago, catman20 said:

apart from the above, everything else is great and going well for you,  right ?????:cheesy:

We all know that and but i do close my eyes in those issues because i am here and staying. But future i never know and time will tell 

12 hours ago, smotherb said:

I am seriously contemplating leaving Thailand—have been resident here for ten years and visited here the 40 years before that. I prefer to live in Southeast Asia—eleven years in the Philippines and four years in Vietnam.  However, I am open to other areas; like Latin America.

The entire reason for wanting to leave Thailand is personal. I am simply no longer satisfied here and do not see things getting better in Thailand—and I have the urge to move on while I am still able. At 72, I am domestically, financially and physically sound. I am not returning to some geographic home of my rearing. Home is and always has been where my ass resides.

I did not come to Thailand under the circumstances so commonly seen—in search of utopia, a Thai woman, or some exotic existence.  I have neither stayed here because of a relationship with Thai woman nor have I buried myself here with property and businesses I cannot own and will have trouble selling for anything but a loss.

My wife of 38 years is an American of Filipino ancestry and she would go with me, always has. We have lived together all over the world; including the States, the Middle East, Europe, and the PI. So, I believe we will check-out Vietnam again next—my previous existence there was under different circumstances.

You only live once and do what you like and try enjoy the places that you heading. I myself think the same way 

my son turned 5 so i came back to nz. i will probably move back when he and his sister finish high school, although i may just do it to get out of the nz winters. thailand is a great place but not very good for raising kids. unfortunately my daughter is only 2 years old so i will be 60 by the time i can spend any more than a month or 2 in thailand each year. prefer the idea of just renting a condo for 6 months a year and being more mobile. wont buy a house in thailand again.

14 hours ago, anotheruser said:

From what I have seen the Brits are the least likely to leave unless they absolutely have to. It seems for whatever reason they have nothing but contempt for their home country. Not all of course but the way so many of them talk that is the impression I get. 

Strange that you should decide to use the 'Brits', (as you call them), as an example of those, who, apart from being reluctant to leave Thailand maybe,.......... "have nothing but contempt for their home country."

Let me assure you OP, that the very nice American guys I have worked with, together with some Danish, Norwegian, German and Australian, French guys I have met during my 12 years here in Thailand - they also have utter contempt for their home country.

I can assure you that wherever you come from, there is a derogatory term for your countrymen also - or do you just have a propensity of disliking us 'British' people.

2 hours ago, foxteen said:
13 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Thais have become more greedy and money oriented

No doubt about that...and won't change for now on. 

^That is common around the world....No?

I have always found it strange in what people go on and on about here in Thailand  and it happens just as much in their home country (if not more in some cases) and yet it becomes such a deal breaker.

Maybe this is why some adapt well because they know better and just go about their business of living. I have seen some really strange reasons (excuses as they are) for people leaving then ranting at their top of their lungs about how bad Thailand is. 

On 3/29/2017 at 11:49 PM, StreetCowboy said:

The OP seems pretty focussed on early retirees.   Some people are different, and a small minority are individuals whose motivation for staying or leaving may differ from the herd

But the assumption that everyone on thaivisa is geristic is a long standing one, and generally reinforced by the lions share of posters.

15 hours ago, edgarfriendly said:

@bangkok -

stench

garbage

filth

traffic

fumes

shit schools

terrible hygeine

poorly educated locals

people pissing in public

aggressive poorly educated locals

brutal externally educated local billionairres

corruption from top to bottom

dishonesty from top to bottom

substandard competence of 99% of professionals

nepotism

rats

mosquitoes

ticks

heat

humidity

3rd world drainage

anything decent is extortionately priced

prehistoric attitudes

absolute frustration at trying to explain anything to almost everyone

I had to come back to this thread. The #1 question for me. Why live there? were you forced? If on assignment and stuck then I completely understand especially if you left a place that was Utopia in your eyes and none of what you listed really happens.

When I read the list I think of places like Detroit, New Orleans, Parts of Los Angeles, Parts of Florida, Oakland California. So if one wouldn't live in those places in the US, why would any one live in BKK. 

I really struggle with the BKK expats reasons (excuses). People generalize and make it seem like all of Thailand is like BKK. Its a big city with all the problems associated with it. It's like any big city in the US or UK. It has dirty areas, poor roads, traffic, pollution, corruption, flooding, crime, scams, hustles, smells (Every been to Philly and walk over a steaming manhole cover?). Dishonesty...Really? Like Thailand has a captive market on it....? Rats... Ever been to any big city? Buy anything really nice is always expensive anywhere. I could go on. It all boils down to the individual and what they chose to fixate on so they can complain about it all then leave back home only to realize its the same they just do not complain about it because no one will listen.

Edited by JAFO

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

You could save a bit more money when your "freebies" dry up, by eating cat food, to save money on the water bill, try the litter tray.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

all cynical sarcasm aside (gee, i'll bet you DON'T speak Thai or know the culture, do you???)

my "freebies" are because i help my neighbors and they help me... 

my water bill is only 106 baht/month, my elec bill only 300-500/month

the curry shop is just 50 baht for huge plate of rice and 4-5 items and a refill, plus nam prik & veggies

i don't do these things to "save" money- i'm not a cheapskate- i just don't need to show off my money

and as for eating cat food or MY eating or drinking from the litter box,

just because that is YOUR fave pastime, doesn't mean that i will do so :post-4641-1156694005:

or spend it profligately on crappy western food or throw it away on a boyfriend

17 hours ago, BsBs said:

I would never live on a island without owning a boat.

And of course Koh lanta is cheap, who, with choice, really wants to live there ?

a) many of my friends here DO own boats, can take a boat ride any time i want...

B) are you SREIOUS?!?!?!?!? have you ever BEEN here? we were just rated one of the 7 best islands in the WORLD to live on!!! 

c) it is not cheap if you want to show off how much money you have (which, i reiterate, i am secure enough to NOT need to do)

d) i meet people, tourists, every day who exclaim "i don't want to leave!!!"

e) once people come once, they either return yearly- or move here!!!

where do YOU live??? <removed>

it's obvious you've NEVER been to Lanta-<removed>

<removed>

all cynical sarcasm aside (gee, i'll bet you DON'T speak Thai or know the culture, do you???)
my "freebies" are because i help my neighbors and they help me... 
my water bill is only 106 baht/month, my elec bill only 300-500/month
the curry shop is just 50 baht for huge plate of rice and 4-5 items and a refill, plus nam prik & veggies
i don't do these things to "save" money- i'm not a cheapskate- i just don't need to show off my money
and as for eating cat food or MY eating or drinking from the litter box,
just because that is YOUR fave pastime, doesn't mean that i will do so :post-4641-1156694005:
or spend it profligately on crappy western food or throw it away on a boyfriend

I do speak Thai by the way, as for Thai culture, on my 19th year here, married for 15yrs, dont know if that qualifies, as for eating and drinking from the litter tray, you are confused, was referring you could use it as a toilet. I reckon the free booze has taken it's toll on you.

The song comes to my mind: " if I had a million dollars". 

But truly if I had a million dollars I would stay in US, somewhere on the west coast. 

why should I leave ? Beautiful Oregon or Southern CA. 

We all die someday

pick a place with a nice view

Just now, true word said:

I doubt all bordering countries are different from Thailand except for Malaysia.

Well, let's just say I disagree with that statement.

First, I believe I am more aware of the differences that affect me between Vietnam and Thailand. I have been out and about in Southeast Asia--specifically Vietnam and Thailand--for over fifty years.

Second, I have lived in Vietnam for over four years; albeit years ago, but I have traveled there several times recently.  I speak Vietnamese quite well. A good friend, ex-wife, and business partner live there now.

Third, and perhaps most telling about your statement; Vietnam is not a bordering country to Thailand.

True word, eh?  Have you been talking to the Trumpster?

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Well, let's just say I disagree with that statement.

First, I believe I am more aware of the differences that affect me between Vietnam and Thailand. I have been out and about in Southeast Asia--specifically Vietnam and Thailand--for over fifty years.

Second, I have lived in Vietnam for over four years; albeit years ago, but I have traveled there several times recently.  I speak Vietnamese quite well. A good friend, ex-wife, and business partner live there now.

Third, and perhaps most telling about your statement; Vietnam is not a bordering country to Thailand.

True word, eh?  Have you been talking to the Trumpster?

So what, I meant all nearby countries, try again.

11 minutes ago, roo860 said:

I do speak Thai by the way, as for Thai culture, on my 19th year here, married for 15yrs, dont know if that qualifies, as for eating and drinking from the litter tray, you are confused, was referring you could use it as a toilet. I reckon the free booze has taken it's toll on you.

don't know about YOU, but the litter box is for my CATS,

i have an actual toilet... and unlike you, i do NOT drink every day!!!

i will refrain from getting even snarkier, although you certainly deserve it

5 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Hello, is anyone home?  What you said was bordering countries. I suggest you try again.

I'm not gonna argue with you about grammar mistake, but I'll tell you for sure Thailand is a lot more advanced than regional countries " Vietnam, Cambodia, Lao, Myanmar) except for Malaysia.

Edited by true word

12 minutes ago, true word said:

I'm not gonna argue with you about grammar mistake, but I'll tell you for sure Thailand is a lot more advanced than regional countries " Vietnam, Cambodia, Lao, Myanmar) except for Malaysia.

What you said about bordering countries was wrong, but it was not grammatically incorrect. You continue to make erroneous statements.  Consequently, you will have to forgive me if I do not accept your word. 

19 hours ago, Tracyb said:

No, what I'm worried about is that I'll need to get to the hospital here in Bangkok in a hurry, I mean, a REAL hurry.  I have nightmares about my ambulance being stuck in traffic on Sukhumvit with the siren blaring and NO ONE pulling over to get out of the way.  At least back home in America I can depend on getting to the hospital in a hurry and Medicare will pay the hospital bills, too.

It has long amazed me! the worries people have about their personal healthcare & having to be near a hospital! what ever happened to being in good health and taking responsibility for your own health rather than trusting it to others who's primary motive is to make money!  :shock1:

25 minutes ago, smotherb said:

What you said about bordering countries was wrong, but it was not grammatically incorrect. You continue to make erroneous statements.  Consequently, you will have to forgive me if I do not accept your word. 

Thailand is certainly advanced with these bordering countries in regard with overall infrastructure ,speed of internet and amount of tourist visiting each year.They not avanced about English skills but are catching up.Thailand is one of the lowest priced countries in regard with food hotels shopping etc.

Been here twenty years, still working and not planning on going anywhere, anytime soon. However, I just wanted to make a quick point about the language. The OP made reference several times to not being able to speak the language ('...and you still can't speak the language..') and how that might impact on medical treatment etc.  I think it is pretty much essential to learn the language here if you want to be independent and really function. The flip side to that is that learning the language can be a double edged sword.  I have found that sometimes I really do not want to understand what is being said around me, even if it may not be about me, if that makes sense.  Anyway, just an observation.