Phuket Police inspector in Patong under investigation for corruption

snoop1130

Phuket Police inspector in Patong under investigation for corruption

The Phuket News

1490791167_1-org.jpg

Patong Police Chief Col Chaiwat Uikam remains on active duty, but Capt Thanturong Wutthiwong has been moved out of Patong pending an investigation into allegations of corruption. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET:-- A Patong Police investigator has been moved out Phuket’s busiest resort town pending an investigation into allegations of corruption, Thai Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has confirmed.

Speaking to the press outside Government House yesterday afternoon (Mar 28), PM Gen Prayut said, “One Phuket police inspector has been moved out as there has been a complaint, and it must be investigated.

“For now we do not know the facts yet. The officer must be investigated and must be moved out from the area first.

“I know there is a fight between police and reporters in the area, but when there is a clear complaint with names, addresses, offices and details of the complaint, we must be fair to everyone,” he added.

The move follows a signed petition addressed to PM Prayut calling for Patong Police Chief Col Chaiwat Uikam and Capt Thanturong Wutthiwong to be removed from Patong immediately.

The letter accuses Col Chaiwat and Capt Thanturong, who is awaiting official promotion to the rank of Police Major, of abusing their positions of power.

“They act like mafia who use law to threaten people and look down on people like we are slaves, who are not afraid of anyone, who use the power for their own benefit,” the letter alleged.

“These police refer to Gen Prawit Wongsuwan, that they know him well and are not afraid of anyone in Phuket, not even the Phuket Governor or higher-ranking Phuket police.

“We have reported this to the Damrongdharma Centre (Ombudsman’s Office), the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) and the 41st Military Circle, but have had no reaction,” the letter added.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-inspector-in-patong-under-investigation-for-corruption-61595.php#FuURKCmRAz31kERS.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-3-29

from the article, quotes from Provincial Police Chief

to the public: "Do not be afraid of any influential people. If police are doing wrong, they will face legal action. No one can protect them."

... and in the same breath to the media: "The complaint seems to be aimed at shaming the officer."

in essence, don't be scared to report police corruption, and when you do my first official statement will be that your complaint seems to be biased and has a hidden agenda before any investigation has even taken place.

Sometimes I wonder if officials even have the slightest comprehension of the meaning of words coming out of their mouths. And then I stop wondering.

Yeah, except it's a drop in the ocean and nothing will change, just who you pay.

Not really the junta have shut down the cash cows on Sukhumvit. Those stall holders were paying good bribe money for decades.

This is a junta backed investigation . If they were taking brown envelopes this wouldn't not have made it to the press

36 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

Not really the junta have shut down the cash cows on Sukhumvit. Those stall holders were paying good bribe money for decades.

This is a junta backed investigation . If they were taking brown envelopes this wouldn't not have made it to the press

How much is the Junta making?

1 hour ago, whoareyou said:

Love the "faith" you place in them. Those that have already proven they are equally as corrupt as anyone else.

Love the "faith" you place in them. Those that have already proven they are equally as corrupt as anyone else.

Read the first part of my previous post. I live on lower Sukhumvit, why would they clear our all vendors?

Not because of corruption.

I'm hugely pleased with what they did.

Why clear the boats from Bahli high and dismantle hotels on samet

Why investigate corrupt officials?

All the above could have been handled by a threat and paper bags but they were not.

So overt to you, how is this corruption?

21 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

Read the first part of my previous post. I live on lower Sukhumvit, why would they clear our all vendors?

Not because of corruption.

I'm hugely pleased with what they did.

Why clear the boats from Bahli high and dismantle hotels on samet

Why investigate corrupt officials?

All the above could have been handled by a threat and paper bags but they were not.

So overt to you, how is this corruption?

Look a little deeper at who "was" previously being paid off to let these things slide ... ? And why is that "group" alone being targeted? And how many "military" people are getting in trouble now compared to other "groups", and then ask yourself why?

Also, have you not read any of the reports of corruption, nepotism and bribery within the current "government"? Or doesn't that count? All I'm seeing is corruption, bribery and nepotism being switched from one group to another, same as it's always been, all under the guise of reconciliation, when in reality it's all about control and keeping those at the top at the feeding trough for as long as possible.

1 hour ago, Tatsujin said:

Look a little deeper at who "was" previously being paid off to let these things slide ... ? And why is that "group" alone being targeted? And how many "military" people are getting in trouble now compared to other "groups", and then ask yourself why?

So you would rather keep it as it was before the coup and the military took over?  

Listen , corruption is everywhere , the fact is that we have been able to catch a lot of the bad guys thanks to the junta.  Or maybe you are one of those people that don't believe anything written in the media and think the whole world is a big conspiration . 

Also, have you not read any of the reports of corruption, nepotism and bribery within the current "government"? Or doesn't that count? All I'm seeing is corruption, bribery and nepotism being switched from one group to another, same as it's always been, all under the guise of reconciliation, when in reality it's all about control and keeping those at the top at the feeding trough for as long as possible.

Why talk in riddles and conspiracy?

Why don't you just list the links to your accusations. I'm open minded and will read.

The junta is shutting down illegal operations across thailand on many fronts. So how is killing the golden goose corruption.

Again why boot out vendors from Bangkok, a long time source of bribery for officials before the junta

Offer up some links or basically you are just hearsay.

8 minutes ago, balo said:

So you would rather keep it as it was before the coup and the military took over?  

Listen , corruption is everywhere , the fact is that we have been able to catch a lot of the bad guys thanks to the junta.  Or maybe you are one of those people that don't believe anything written in the media and think the whole world is a big conspiration . 

I didn't say I wanted it kept the way it was before, I simply don't see that what is happening now is any different than before

It's just new players doing exactly the same things whilst pretending otherwise. And above that, they're "cleaning house" step by step, but only on one side.

I didn't say I wanted it kept the way it was before, I simply don't see that what is happening now is any different than before

It's just new players doing exactly the same things whilst pretending otherwise. And above that, they're "cleaning house" step by step, but only on one side.

What is not different than before?

Are you seriously not aware?

Good for you Ignorance is bliss!

10 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

Why talk in riddles and conspiracy?

Why don't you just list the links to your accusations. I'm open minded and will read.

The junta is shutting down illegal operations across thailand on many fronts. So how is killing the golden goose corruption.

Again why boot out vendors from Bangkok, a long time source of bribery for officials before the junta

Offer up some links or basically you are just hearsay.

Right, so I'll spend hours trawling back through articles to give you links just to save you the effort of doing it yourself.

Heres a few keywords for you to search:

Red Bull

Extrajudicial killings

Mines/Mining

Foreign Minister

Rajabhakti Park

Submarines

Railways

Bangkok Festival

Rolls-Royce

Unexplained deaths of people close to those at the top

You'll find corruption/nepotism/bribery in all.

And let's not forget, Transparency International had Thailand drop even further under the Junta to 35 in 2016.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A Patong Police investigator has been moved out Phuket’s busiest resort town pending an investigation into allegations of corruption

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The move follows a signed petition addressed to PM Prayut calling for Patong Police Chief Col Chaiwat Uikam and Capt Thanturong Wutthiwong to be removed from Patong immediately.

Just for the sake of discussion, what if Chaiwat and Thanturong had actually vigorously been pursuing corruption that gets too close to the "mafia" and other "influential" persons.

Would the outcome be any different for these men  - their immediate removal from potentially damaging investigations? Prayut's immediate confirmation for their removal in response to a citizens' complaint seems a little too anxious with the effect of making their removal irreversible.

555+

I Thought you would turn to jelly when pressured. [emoji3] sorry I was harsh but you needed to be called out [emoji46]

Do yourself a favor and try to stay up to date with current events under the junta in Thailand even if your not here.

It will save you the embarrassment next time around.

22 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Just for the sake of discussion, what if Chaiwat and Thanturong had actually vigorously been pursuing corruption that gets too close to the "mafia" and other "influential" persons.

Would the outcome be any different for these men  - their immediate removal from potentially damaging investigations? Prayut's immediate confirmation for their removal in response to a citizens' complaint seems a little too anxious with the effect of making their removal irreversible.

Good to see at least one other person looking a little deeper and seeing what's actually going on.

15 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

I Thought you would turn to jelly when pressured. emoji3.png sorry I was harsh but you needed to be called out emoji46.png

Do yourself a favor and try to stay up to date with current events under the junta in Thailand even if your not here.

It will save you the embarrassment next time around.

Wow, insults and condescension, thanks for that.

I do keep up to date with current events here, as it's been my home for the last 12 years. I just don't buy into the "propaganda" that passes for reporting here.

Are you a Republican by any chance?