Motorbike: Rent Long-term Vs. Buy

Harley62

Need to get some input : If I know I'll be staying in Pattaya for at least 6 months, and perhaps longer (move to another part of the country), am I "wasting" $$ by renting a motorbike long-term, instad of buying a "clean" 2nd hand bike? Can such deals be found in Pattaya?

The general concensus is that buying new is preferred, but if that option were not available, it seems a waste to simply rent for 6 months at 3K baht per month? Can one find 2K baht per month rate, if I commit to 6 months' rental? Where?

But for almost 20K baht I see occasional used bikes, so if my budget is around 20K maybe just go ahead and buy?

What fees/ taxes are involved with used bike purchase? Any advantage to buying new (other than no abuse or "histroy" and having a warranty?)

Thanks in advance !

HB

It's a bit hard to say!

When you get here you obviously want to be mobile as fast as possible.

Good secondhand buys are mostly made by buying something when an unexpected good deal comes by!

Secondhand stuff bought in a hurry just because you need the thing NOW often turn out to be bad buys.

If you have the budget I would buy new. It's hardly any hassle (shop takes care of the registration) and after 6 months you could sell it for 10-15k less then what you paid.

Maybe even better price if you start lining up potential buyers in your last month.

You won't make a financial killing compared to renting, but you'll be driving your own brandspanking new bike!

Just go for the popular models...

Good luck

Buying

As mentioned, you're the owner with all the joys and and troubles that come with that. I bought used from bike dealership on 3rd/Diana. Bike ran fine although a little hard on the eyes and when I sold it back to the dealership months later. I was informed I would have to go out to Banglamung to change the ownership back to the dealership. I paid a taxi driver to do it for me. After sales, I calculated how much the bike actually cost me and it was about 70 baht/day for the enjoyment of an ugly 2nd hand bike. :o

Renting

I currently rent from a dealership that has new bikes almost every month. So whenever (even mid month) I feel like having a new bike, I drop off the old and pick up a brand new bike in almost any colour too. I pay 2400 bt every month to ride a brand new bike in any colour I like. Last month I was a blue blur and now I'm a white blur. That's about 80 baht/day. :D

Can you even buy a bike in your name?

I may be mistaken, but I believe you have to have a letter from immigration authorizing you to buy one and I think those letters are only issued to holders of retirement/business visas.

If that is the case, rent and walk away....versus buy and give away

Up to you

I may be mistaken, but I believe you have to have a letter from immigration authorizing you to buy one and I think those letters are only issued to holders of retirement/business visas.

Up to you

No Sir. I bought using only my passport. I was given some superficial insurance coverage with that which is only available to buyers, not renters but I'm not even sure about this. :o

I made my case above why I prefer renting. I haven't heard much spoken about this lately but there was discussions of a scam by shop owners in Pattaya renting their bikes to tourists and then stealing the bikes from the renters who would be liable for the entire replacement. Another was shop owners removing a vital part of the bike's circuitry and then referring them to an expensive garage for repairs so they could then split the proceeds have it repaired in a jiffy. Whatever you do, DON'T give them your passport as collateral.

Up to you

No problem to put it in your name. Just a bit of paperwork. What you are refering to is the "Certificate of Residence" which basically just shows your address.

Alternatively you can go to your Embassy and get the same thing or if you own a condo you can use the Yellow House book if it has your name in it.

If you are only on a 30 day visa on arival you can still do this.

Up to you

No Sir. I bought using only my passport. I was given some superficial insurance coverage with that which is only available to buyers, not renters but I'm not even sure about this. :o

I made my case above why I prefer renting. I haven't heard much spoken about this lately but there was discussions of a scam by shop owners in Pattaya renting their bikes to tourists and then stealing the bikes from the renters who would be liable for the entire replacement. Another was shop owners removing a vital part of the bike's circuitry and then referring them to an expensive garage for repairs so they could then split the proceeds have it repaired in a jiffy. Whatever you do, DON'T give them your passport as collateral.

Thanks for the clarification PP,

I bought mine 4 years ago and at the time I had to produce a letter from Immigration in order to register it in my name. I'm glad thats no longer the case.

But on the other hand, if he buys, what happens to his property when he leaves in 6 months? If he sells it (if he can) after 6 months, he'll get peanuts for it compared to what it's actually worth as there are 10's of thousands of used bikes for sale here, and if he wants to keep it to come back to later, where will he store it and what are the monthly charges?

IMHO, if you live here,buy or rent, whatever option suits you....if you're just passing through on a non-permanent basis...rent

Disadvantage with buying a new bike is that theft is rampant and new bikes are targeted, also the first few km takes thousands of Bath of the value.

Advantage with buying compared to renting is that you can get a good insurance if you own the bike, it's virtually impossible to get a good insurance on a rental bike, and bike accidents are not rare!!!

I would buy a secondhand bike for around 20-30k and a good insurance.

Disadvantage with buying a new bike is that theft is rampant and new bikes are targeted, also the first few km takes thousands of Bath of the value.

Advantage with buying compared to renting is that you can get a good insurance if you own the bike, it's virtually impossible to get a good insurance on a rental bike, and bike accidents are not rare!!!

Please correct me if i am wrong but i thought that for a bike the best coverage you can get is for theft only . No coverage for damage from accidents or personal injury.

A friend recently had a 2 week old Mio stolen, that he paid 42000 baht for but the Insurers only paid out 30000.

Edited by COBBER

Please correct me if i am wrong but i thought that for a bike the best coverage you can get is for theft only . No coverage for damage from accidents or personal injury.

A friend recently had a 2 week old Mio stolen, that he paid 42000 baht for but the Insurers only paid out 30000.

I'm still renting but looking to buy a bike so could not get an insurance. What the rental shop offered was just something basic to cover theft and damages to the bike.

I did have a look at an insurance brooker and they offered insurance for bike owners, the coverage was:

Third party bodily injury or death: 200,000/person 10,000,000/accident

Third party property damage: 400,000/occurance

Personal accident driver: 10,000/person

Medical expenses driver: 10,000/person

Bail Bond: 200,000/occurence

Deductable: 500/claim

Cost 3,105 to 3,317 per year depending size of bike.

The brooker I checked with was PCD Consultants in Pattaya, they represented Thai Zurich Insurance Co and QBE Insurance Co. Similar coverage and costs.

email: [email protected]

Ph: 038-422-825

Not sure if they have any offices outside Pattaya.

I'm still renting but looking to buy a bike so could not get an insurance. What the rental shop offered was just something basic to cover theft and damages to the bike.

I did have a look at an insurance brooker and they offered insurance for bike owners, the coverage was:

Third party bodily injury or death: 200,000/person 10,000,000/accident

Third party property damage: 400,000/occurance

Personal accident driver: 10,000/person

Medical expenses driver: 10,000/person

Bail Bond: 200,000/occurence

Deductable: 500/claim

Cost 3,105 to 3,317 per year depending size of bike.

The brooker I checked with was PCD Consultants in Pattaya, they represented Thai Zurich Insurance Co and QBE Insurance Co. Similar coverage and costs.

email: [email protected]

Ph: 038-422-825

Not sure if they have any offices outside Pattaya.

ZZZ, Thanks for the info mate. I've insured the car with PCD for quite a few years now, and they are indeed very reputable brokers.

Buying

As mentioned, you're the owner with all the joys and and troubles that come with that. I bought used from bike dealership on 3rd/Diana. Bike ran fine although a little hard on the eyes and when I sold it back to the dealership months later. I was informed I would have to go out to Banglamung to change the ownership back to the dealership. I paid a taxi driver to do it for me. After sales, I calculated how much the bike actually cost me and it was about 70 baht/day for the enjoyment of an ugly 2nd hand bike. :o

Renting

I currently rent from a dealership that has new bikes almost every month. So whenever (even mid month) I feel like having a new bike, I drop off the old and pick up a brand new bike in almost any colour too. I pay 2400 bt every month to ride a brand new bike in any colour I like. Last month I was a blue blur and now I'm a white blur. That's about 80 baht/day. :D

Your dealership sounds good. Can you tell us which one it is?

Buying

Renting

Your dealership sounds good. Can you tell us which one it is?

INDEED! Please DO tell! As the original poster I would like to know your experiences with renting from a Dealership.

I didn't even know Deaalers did that--it seems a waste of their money, as they sill have to take them back and service them when the renter is done with them

In the USA, sometimes the Dealers make renters a "deal" to purchase once they have already put a certain number of KM's on a bike (or after a certain time period) , and the Dealer wins because they now sell a bike that has been used, but also made $$ on the rental...

If indeed the renter had a brand bew bike, then theyALSO have the security that they KNOW how it's been ridden, and have been riding it for some time to confirm it's general mechanical state.

So, please tell the Dealer name/location.

HB

Edited by Harley62

Another factor is whether you can get insurance without a Thai motorcycle drivers license, and if not, where/when/how to obtain one.

If the OP already has a motorcycle license from his home country, it is a LOT easier. Then he can be in and out of the test site quickly and get proper insurance.

Buying

Renting

Yes, I would also like to know where you rent so cheaply and have the option of changing bikes whenever you wish. I rent a Yamaha Neuvo (new model) for 3000 per month but your deal sounds sweet.

GET A THAI MOTOR BIKE LICENCE... This is a legal document issued by thailand granting yuo permission to drive on their roads.

Benifits of having a Thai licence

Use it as ID (instead of carrying around passport)

No fine for not having a Thai licence

Less problems with insurance claim (if ever) as you have the correct licence

It is not difficult to get a licence, and if you are going to be here for six months it is worth taking half a day on this. total cost including extra paper work about 500bht though only 115bht for the licence. (doctors letter, residence letter, photo copys)

Every time i have put this advice on this site, people dissagree, If i am wrong what harm has been done, if i am right what problems will be avoided ?

I decided in Sept '05 to buy a bike (Honda Phantom 200 cc). Had my landlady go with me as a translator. Went to a Mityon (?) Place dealership on # 3 road.

No hassles at all. Looked over their selection, but they didn't have any black ones. No problem, while I was filling out the paperwork, they had a shiny new 2006 model brought in from another dealership.

When all was said and done (the bike, taxes, Class 1 insurance, helmet, saddle-bags and Certificate of Residence), it cost me around 87,000 baht. No problems with only being on a 30 day visa. Never even asked me for a driver's licence !

The only real hassle was getting the regular licence plate (instead of the red temporary plate). I had to go back to immigration for another "Certificate of Residence" as the previous one was outdated (I was out of the country working between the time I bought the bike and when I was able to go back for the regular plate).

There are 2nd hand bikes available. I saw a place on soi Bukhao that had 8 or 9 for sale, from 8,000 - 15,000 baht. But just like buying 2nd hand back home, you often get what you paid for (i.e. you are buying the problems that someone else didn't want to deal with).

Never tried renting one. Heard the horror stories about people renting a bike and then having it stolen that same night (co-incidentally) :o Also the stories of people having minor fender-benders and being expected to pay huge repair costs.

As I plan on being in Pattaya for a long time, buying was the better option for me. While I'm gone, the land-lady and her "clan" keep an eye on it. No hassles with trying to sell it just before I go, and having to get something else when I return.