Irishman 'critically wounded' in Suvarnabhumi Airport plunge

webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, dinsdale said:

So, to you mental illness is non-existent. Speaking of lack of perspective. And can you please explain what 'stupid idea' means. Maybe you're a non-native English speaker but really, suicide is simply these two things. WOW.

He wasn't mentally ill. And depression is not a mental illness. I've known people who committed suicide. One did so on his 21st birthday because his girlfriend ditched him. Yes, suicide is really as banal as that.

The 'stupid idea' is that they think their current misery is how it will be for the rest of their lives. The lack of perspective is in not understanding that circumstances change, personality changes, that life is plenty long enough for us to come to scorn all sorts of impulses and decisions of the past. It may take some time and some effort, or you may feel completely different the next sunny morning.

Not trying to blame anyone but sometimes people from the West have the notion that Thailand is a magically place where you all of your problems will go away and you will magically have a better social life etc. On the other hand there are people like me who had to learn that like anywhere else in the world people are people with the same struggles, discrimination and happy sides. etc.  And when they realize that Thailand is not El Dorado they lose hope completely especially if they have burnt bridges at their home country.  Me too I was expecting something differently but I learnt to deal with it.

RIP and condolences to his family from me as well.

5 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

Yeah, it would be a quite a record if he just met the family, donated to the sick buffalo and bought a house and found out she has 3 other 'brothers'. 

quite possibly yes i agree,   and now he is just a number.    so called thai girlfriend/ family will carry on as normal ....mai pen rai

If he came into the country just the day before then he was staying elsewhere and just came back to Bangkok to catch his flight home. Also he had a girlfriend in Thailand so it's likely he just couldn't handle the fact he had to go home. Poor guy, RIP

3 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

He was NOT Irish nor was he English. He was Australian. He was just using an Irish passport.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-30/australian-dies-after-jumping-from-bangkok-airport-fourth-floor/8402658

If we are going to nit pick like it appears we are, he was a dual national. The poor guy was Irish and Australian. God rest his tortured soul in peace.

2 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

He wasn't mentally ill. And depression is not a mental illness. I've known people who committed suicide. One did so on his 21st birthday because his girlfriend ditched him. Yes, suicide is really as banal as that.

The 'stupid idea' is that they think their current misery is how it will be for the rest of their lives. The lack of perspective is in not understanding that circumstances change, personality changes, that life is plenty long enough for us to come to scorn all sorts of impulses and decisions of the past

I do not agree with you , if you have to take your own life due to a relationship that went wrong , violence, terror etc , you are not able to think normally . Unless you are terminally ill , no humans want to end their life. YOur body is supposed to live for 80 years and life is full of possibilities.  It is a mental illness in my opinion.

But if drugs and alcohol is involved that might turn normal people into suicide mode. 

On 2017/3/29 at 11:53 PM, whoareyou said:

That's the second Irish to jump there.

He must have a ticket but couldn't bare to go through with it

The injures sustained to the brain, spine and internal organs would be significant

When you mentioned the injury to the internal organs make me feel really sorry for him because if he had died then the suffering would have terminated, but he is alive and he suffers all the more, both mentally and physically.

Buddha said, "This world is a world of suffering", I think this must be true. My turn has not come yet, I will suffer too, just a matter of time.

23 minutes ago, madusa said:

When you mentioned the injury to the internal organs make me feel really sorry for him because if he had died then the suffering would have terminated, but he is alive and he suffers all the more, both mentally and physically.

Buddha said, "This world is a world of suffering", I think this must be true. My turn has not come yet, I will suffer too, just a matter of time.

What story are you trying to read, this poor  guy is DEAD.  

19 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

He was NOT Irish nor was he English. He was Australian. He was just using an Irish passport.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-30/australian-dies-after-jumping-from-bangkok-airport-fourth-floor/8402658

He is dead whether Irish or Australia or English does it matter one bit?. Just feel sorry for him, he could have 30 or even more years to good life if he had wanted.

30 minutes ago, madusa said:

He is dead whether Irish or Australia or English does it matter one bit?. Just feel sorry for him, he could have 30 or even more years to good life if he had wanted.

Don't get too excited or emotional. Just correcting the incorrect news reports - nothing more.

Several posts removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

I have known people who have killed themselves. Most were depressed without treatment. Not a financial thing or selfish thing or a girlfriend thing just depression. Don't know this man's reasons but every day people all over the planet kill themselves for different reasons. Depression is the leading cause of suicide and is not determined by age or nationality or wealth. RIP young man and peace to your family and friends. 

10 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Nobody ever said he was English, somebody back in the annals of time said screwed up english, while referring to the difference between wounded and injured

On 3/31/2017 at 7:01 AM, chuang said:

I doubt he wants to die otherwise he would have chosen a higher building. 

I once witnessed on an obduction of a septuagenarian woman who in a state of dementia (coroner held her brain right under my face to show me the calcified main artery, his kind of humour, but I was sort of interested) had jumped from the first story of the hospital she had been staying in. Effectively died from concussion to one lung that had flooded with blood from an internal hemorrhage. He said, falling over 4 meters onto a hard surface you had to make at least a somewhat half-decent landing or it could be over. Just like that.

On the other hand, a lot of people have survived higher falls with just their legs shattered, but 4 stories of an airport building with a much higher ceiling could translate to well over 10 meters, even 20.

• 2 months later...

poor chap...R.I.P. -  once a person is gone he is gone,,,but ultimately his family and friends will suffer even more now...sad for them mainly!...

and for any others feeling bad or planing such awful endings, just think about your friends, family, pals, ex-gf's with whom you wicky wicky now and then :passifier:, current girl friends, even your ennemies and all those others back home who will feed bad once you will be gone, - don't get rash, get help!!!

get clinical evaluation and medical help before the mind get's over f***-D up!!... a healthy body means a healthy mind!

Edited by observer90210