True Internet Adsl Router...

bkkmick

Hi

I was talking to someone at True a while back about networking some PC's in my house and they said that I couldn't use ports 3 and 4 that they were reserved for something else. No problem, I used a lan hub and it worked fine.

Two questions to you brilliant people out there:

1. What are ports 3 and 4 for? (I have a Billiion Wireless-G)

2. Wireless signal is hard to catch upstairs - is there a device out there that can boost the signal?

Thanks in advance.

Mick

Hi

I was talking to someone at True a while back about networking some PC's in my house and they said that I couldn't use ports 3 and 4 that they were reserved for something else. No problem, I used a lan hub and it worked fine.

Two questions to you brilliant people out there:

1. What are ports 3 and 4 for? (I have a Billiion Wireless-G)

2. Wireless signal is hard to catch upstairs - is there a device out there that can boost the signal?

Thanks in advance.

Mick

No idea about ports...

Wireless signal can be improved with an external antenna or perhaps even a different router. Ext. antenna + cable go for about 2000 baht in specialty shops.

Or just put the antenna / router somewhere else... don't hide it in the closet etc. Use Netstumbler and walk around with the laptop to measure your signal.

A warning about Billion: I had a DSL modem from this company before. Not only did the power adapter die on me 3 (three!!) times - I got a free warranty replacement every time but still - it also tended to disconnect a lot. And had to be hard-rebooted. I will never buy anything Billion again. Now I have a Zyxel which "just works" as it should be. Billion may be a few hundred Baht cheaper, but definitely not worth it.