Australian tourist crushed in Phuket motorbike accident

webfact

Australian tourist crushed in Phuket motorbike accident

Eakkapop Thongtub

1490931148_1-org.jpg

The Australian tourist died after his rented motorbike collided with the cement truck south of Patong. Photo: Patong Police

PHUKET: -- An Australian tourist died after he was crushed by a cement truck on a quiet road near Tri Trang Beach, south of Patong, yesterday evening (Mar 30).

Kusoldharm rescue workers were called to the scene, a curve bear the quiet beach, at 6:46pm.

The man, a 49-year-old from New South Wales*, was under the right side of truck. His motorbike was on the ground on the left side of the truck.

A helmet was found at the scene, but the man had suffered severe trauma. His body was taken Patong Hospital.

Phuket Tourist Police reported that the man checked in alone at the Baan Laimai Patong Beach Resort on Monday (Mar 27) and was due to check out tomorrow (April 1).

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/australian-tourist-crushed-in-phuket-motorbike-accident-61616.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-03-31

It can NOT be stressed enough just how dangerous it is to ride a motocy in Thailand, especially coming here as a tourist. Although profiting from 2nd, or 3rd world prices tourists still feel first world rules should be applied. In Thailand, they don't. Right of way goes with those that drive the biggest car, and have the firmist believe in Buddha.

Tourists are just completly ignorant of the situation in their holiday destination. For example,

Just the other day I met a Dutch girl on my flight home, which had run in to a wall on a scooter because, as she put it, "the brakes did not really work all that well". She got off lucky, but still had to be repatriatied first class (leg up), the travel insurance paid for it.  She was quite upset, saying that she wanted to sue the shop that let her the scooter. I just told her that she got off lucky, not even having a proper driving licence for a motorcycle, which actually means that the insurance company could have refused. Also, that motocy's for rent are never, ever, insured in Thailand.

This , finally, shut her up.

True phuket sucks for motorbike riders. And the guy finding a cement truck in the middle of the road is as common here as a beer in a bar.

Seems like all of phuket is under construction ,big trucks everywhere.broken roads and pot holes the size of front tires.gravel spread everywhere.

As a tourist here like mentioned from western countrys where the traffic has a flow to it you can count on, here its just total chaos.every man for himself .

Its very scary and i hope to get out alive.

It can NOT be stressed enough just how dangerous it is to ride a motocy in Thailand, especially coming here as a tourist. Although profiting from 2nd, or 3rd world prices tourists still feel first world rules should be applied. In Thailand, they don't. Right of way goes with those that drive the biggest car, and have the firmist believe in Buddha.
Tourists are just completly ignorant of the situation in their holiday destination. For example,
Just the other day I met a Dutch girl on my flight home, which had run in to a wall on a scooter because, as she put it, "the brakes did not really work all that well". She got off lucky, but still had to be repatriatied first class (leg up), the travel insurance paid for it.  She was quite upset, saying that she wanted to sue the shop that let her the scooter. I just told her that she got off lucky, not even having a proper driving licence for a motorcycle, which actually means that the insurance company could have refused. Also, that motocy's for rent are never, ever, insured in Thailand.

I would be tempted to break a leg If it got me a first class flight.

There are many bad /reckless drivers in Thailand but in my opinion the very worst

are the cement truck drivers. They know that when an accident happens they will

suffer no ill consequences and they all drive like Pastor Maldonado. :bah:

3 hours ago, Bullie said:

Are you trying to say (in a long-winded manner) that you also fly first class?

Is uphill and down dale around that area with a few blind bends and lots of building work going on, is a dodgy road even if you know it but is quite dangerous if you are going too fast in the wrong place (is easy to overcook a turn into a blind bend there and overshoot) not saying thats what this poor bloke done as we don't know but Cement trucks don't hang about anywhere they are driving, and yes the road has fine dust and gravel all over it...

R I P

12 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

' A helmet was found at the scene '   I wonder if it was found on his head he would still be alive .  

I doubt it... cement truck versus him, helmet on or not .... you work it out!

13 hours ago, Bullie said:

At least she had purchased travel insurance.

This happened on nanai rd years ago. The bit where it goes up the hill. The cement truck couldnt do it and started rolling backwards while a lady was waiting behind it on a motorbike. Got pinned under the truck for ages and died.

Ever since that I always give them a wide berth and avoid being behind them.

Tri trang beach is also an incredibly steep hill.