Coach ‘Zico’ quits after disastrous campaign

rooster59

Coach ‘Zico’ quits after disastrous campaign

By Kitinan Sanguansak
The Nation

f0a695bf03a69d92fb9a042dcc87044f.jpeg

Photo : Kiatisak

Embattled Kiatisak Senamuang yesterday decided to end his role as the national football team coach after days of intense speculation over his future following the Kingdom’s dismal campaign in the Asian World Cup qualifiers.

The former national striker announced his abrupt departure from the national post he has held since 2013 on his Instagram account just days after his charges slumped to a 40 defeat away to Japan on Tuesday, their sixth defeat in seven group games in the last12 team round of Asian qualifying for 2018 finals in Russia.   

Since the team’s return from Japan on Wednesday, Kiatisak’s future had been the subject of intense media speculation even though the trainer, who initially took charge of the team in a caretaker capacity following the departure of German veteran Wilfried Schaefer, had signed a oneyear extension to his contract last month.

“I would like to thank for all the support that my staff and I have received over the past four to five years. It’s the ultimate honour for me to have a chance to work as the coach of the national team.

“Today, I would like to announce my decision to end my role as the national team trainer. I’ll clear all the work for the employers within 90 days.

“I’m thankful to every player, my coaching team, all the fans as well as my family for always standing by my side,” the 43yearold wrote on his Instagram page, coach_zico. 

Earlier yesterday, the president of the Football Association of Thailand Pol General Somyot Poompanmuang had hit back at Kiatisak, saying he does not have the right to disband the squad because of their faltering campaign in the World Cup qualifiers as suggested by the beleaguered trainer.

Somyot’s outburst came in response to Kiatisak’s comment that it was up to the Thai FA boss whether to discard the playing squad and the coach following their disastrous campaign in the last12 team round of the Asian qualifying for the 2018 World Cup.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/sports/30310948

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-01

There,s a Premiership title winning Italian looking for such a job,but then again his previous Thai employers sacked him after giving him the dreaded "he has our unwavering support" so he,s probably not interested....pity he was,is,a great manager :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, siam2007 said:

poor ZICO, nice lad and a qualified coach.

Now who initiates the reality check the Thai football association desperately needs to undergo ?

Yes it's not Zico's fault that Thai footballers just haven't reached a competitive level outside SE Asia. Unfortunately the neanderthal at the head of the FAT has no idea what to do about it.