Thailand to implement Alcohol sale stores following Scandinavian concept.

rooster59

9 minutes ago, Bruce404 said:

It just goes to show how easy it is to fool apparently intelligent people -- like many commenters above -- to believe "fake news".  

Check the date for the Thai Visa postings on state liquor stores and bans on water-throwing during Songkran (clue: note the lack of the usual link to a credible published source).

(Americans see this daily since the recent campaign and election.)

Americans might see it daily but they're easier to fool ... and sarcasm doesn't work on them at all

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Bruce404 said:

It just goes to show how easy it is to fool apparently intelligent people -- like many commenters above -- to believe "fake news".  

Other recent news: Pattaya will be promoted as a family holiday destination, Thailand aims at quality tourists, tourists will be tracked at all times through special sim cards, tourists will have to wear identification wristbands.

And to top it all: prosecutors understand that the red bull punk is too busy to answer their summons - now if that news had been published on 1 april, nobody would have believed it!

And all that was NOT fake.

Confusing!

Edited by oldhippy
edit

Just now, bannork said:

ha ha ha etc ( the sound of the number 5 in Thai)

No that can't be true. I have lived in SE Asia over a decade and have never come across such an expression. Just because it is April 1 doesn't give you the right to deceive me.

So what about  wine connection  Bottle shops  and wine merchants do they close ??

I assume restaurants and pubs will have to  buy thru whole sale still

The funny thing is  thai  been thai  all the restaurants will buy  there booze  at the outlet like the  Australian  business  do but it legal  in Oz

1 minute ago, maddox41 said:

So what about  wine connection  Bottle shops  and wine merchants do they close ??

I assume restaurants and pubs will have to  buy thru whole sale still

The funny thing is  thai  been thai  all the restaurants will buy  there booze  at the outlet like the  Australian  business  do but it legal  in Oz

Unfortunately given the new legislation it appears that they will all have to close or renegotiate new deals as far as licensing goes.

3 minutes ago, maddox41 said:

I think this a April  fool joke e

It seems like that but sadly it seems this is the new reality in regards to Thailand V 4.0 I wish I could say something a tad bit more humorous about this entirely depressing development.

Edited by anotheruser

3 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

No that can't be true. I have lived in SE Asia over a decade and have never come across such an expression. Just because it is April 1 doesn't give you the right to deceive me.

You're right, it's not true, it is a lie. 5555555  is the number five  and really means the four limbs and the head that controls the limbs, ie man. In addition there are also 5 senses: sight – hearing – taste – smell – touch, signifying human and animal life.

But what Simon 3 (note 3 not 5, a significant difference) really meant with his 55555555 was high fives, again and again.........and again.

1 minute ago, bannork said:

You're right, it's not true, it is a lie. 5555555  is the number five  and really means the four limbs and the head that controls the limbs, ie man. In addition there are also 5 senses: sight – hearing – taste – smell – touch, signifying human and animal life.

But what Simon 3 (note 3 not 5, a significant difference) really meant with his 55555555 was high fives, again and again.........and again.

Edited by anotheruser

14 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

anotheruser's concise remark above reminds us there is nothing foolish about  the OP.

There are 8 planets in the sky,  it takes 8 minutes for the sun's rays to reach the earth and there are  8 people on Noah's Ark.

In addition there will only be 8 outlets selling alcohol in Thailand after April 8th.

Edited by bannork

4 minutes ago, bannork said:

anotheruser's concise remark above reminds us there is nothing foolish about  the OP.

There are 8 planets in the sky,  it takes 8 minutes for the sun's rays to reach the earth and there 8 people on Noah's Ark.

In addition there will only be 8 outlets selling alcohol in Thailand after April 8th.

Don't lead us further down this dark path. The word on the street is that implementation will begin on Monday whether it makes sense or not. If I were a thinking man I would go to Tesco and stock my fridge now.

Edited by anotheruser

Don't lead us further down this dark path. The word on the street is that implementation will begin on Monday whether it makes sense or not. If I were a thinking man I would go to Tesco and stock my fridge now.

Tuk tuks have already raised their rates for shoppers buying Leo in 12 bottle crates, claiming the extra weight adds to fuel costs. Taxis are simply refusing passengers with more than 2 bottles.

From what I could see the shelves in Tesco will be empty by midday tomorrow.  

I might try Big C

1 minute ago, bannork said:

Tuk tuks have already raised their rates for shoppers buying Leo in 12 bottle crates, claiming the extra weight adds to fuel costs. Taxis are simply refusing passengers with more than 2 bottles.

From what I could see the shelves in Tesco will be empty by midday tomorrow.  

I might try Big C

I just came back from Tesco and the beer was sold out and limited to one crate per customer and they were taking ID for every crate bought. 

Edited by anotheruser

I just came back from Tesco and the beer was sold out and limited to one crate per customer and they were taking ID for every crate bought. 

Oh no! Do you think if I have a multiple entry visa on my passport I can buy more than one crate?

Just now, bannork said:

Oh no! Do you think if I have a multiple entry visa on my passport I can buy more than one crate?

Perhaps if you are married? I don't speak a single word of Thai so I only know my wife told me that I could buy just a single crate. Hope this helps.

Just now, anotheruser said:

Perhaps if you are married? I don't speak a single word of Thai so I only know my wife told me that I could buy just a single crate. Hope this helps.

An Australian I saw coming out of Macro was clutching only 2 bottles. That surprised me what with it being a wholesale outlet. He told me because he was staying in cheap accommodation ( less than 500 baht a night) that was all he could buy.  Only those staying in 1000 baht+ a night could purchase more. 

TAT are really going for the affluent tourists- rich guys merry, poor guys sober.

I think a lot of people don't understand the concept of April Fool's day.  April 1st in the western tradition is the day of practical jokes and spoof headlines.  It is the day to make someone look foolish or stupid.  State liquor stores in Thailand?  Beyond the pale of absurdity.  There would be a popular revolution instead of a military coup.  What was the date of this 'news' story again?  Ahhh, yes. April 1st.

4 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

would like to see how it would be implemented. that means 7-11, tesco lotus, big c, all will not have alcohol anymore? lol

how about restaurants, bars, pubs, clubs? can someone explain how this works?

In Thailand this could not be implemented because there is no law enforcement in Thailand, only corruption.

In Sweden or Norway it IS implemented and it works: no wine or liquor in the supermarkets, no illegal sales by restaurants or small shops.

Suggesting that a law  would be introduced that requires law enforcement is the real 1 april joke!

11 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Surely an April food day prank

Well that's the trouble with AFD pranks in Thailand these days, they have to compete with some pretty wacky announcements from those in charge. Example, "no water fights during Songkran", is that more or less believable than "Pattaya is not a sex destination, people go there for the natural beauty, happy zones are going to make it all better". Hard to tell who said what!!

I know it was for April 1st but I would actually like one part of it if it was implemented and that's if they have an assortment like the Swedish system bolaget. they have the largest selection of beer, wine, Whiskey and other alcoholic drinks in the world.

They have everything from standard Swedish beer to small artisan brewers from around the world and You can find from the cheapest vodka to single barrel whiskey in their assortment. But what I don't like about system bolaget is the price as everything is heavily taxed.