Trump: ex-adviser Flynn should seek immunity in Russia probe

rooster59

Trump: ex-adviser Flynn should seek immunity in Russia probe

By Mark Hosenball

640x640.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks at a Women’s Empowerment Panel at the East Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., March 29, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday backed a decision by his former national security adviser to seek immunity in congressional investigations of possible ties between his election campaign and Russia, but there was no immediate sign a request would be granted.

Retired General Michael Flynn, who resigned only 24 days after becoming national security adviser, wants protection against "unfair prosecution" if he testifies before the intelligence committees of the U.S. Senate and the House of Representatives, his lawyer, Robert Kelner, said on Thursday.

Testimony from Flynn could help shed light on the conversations he had last year with Sergei Kislyak, Russian ambassador to the United States, while national security adviser for Trump's presidential campaign.

U.S. Representative Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House of Representatives intelligence committee, said it was too soon to consider immunity requests.

"As with any investigation - and particularly one that grows in severity and magnitude by the day - there is still much work and many more witnesses and documents to obtain before any immunity request from any witness can be considered," he said in a statement.

Schiff said the House intelligence panel would discuss any request with the Justice Department and the Senate Intelligence Committee, describing such a request "a grave and momentous step."

Schiff on Friday was allowed to see documents at the White House that previously had been seen only by the Republican chairman of the intelligence committee.

Trump, a Republican, said in a tweet that Democrats were instigating the congressional investigations because they were upset about his Nov. 8 victory over their party's candidate, Hillary Clinton.

"Mike Flynn should ask for immunity in that this is a witch hunt (excuse for big election loss), by media & Dems, of historic proportion!" Trump said.

Trump would not comment further when asked about Flynn during a White House meeting with U.S. manufacturers.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer was asked at a news briefing if he was concerned that Flynn could provide information that could be harmful to the administration and replied, "Nope."

He said Trump wanted Flynn to testify to "get this matter behind us" but declined to say specifically that he should be granted immunity.

"The president is very clear that he wants Mike Flynn to go and be completely open and transparent with the committee, and whatever it takes to do that he is supportive of," Spicer said.

DOCUMENT REVIEW

Schiff and an aide went to the White House on Friday at the administration's invitation to review documents that it said support Trump's contention he and his team were subjected to surveillance by the Obama administration during the presidential campaign.

The Republican chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, Devin Nunes, has been criticized by his colleagues on the panel for his handling of the investigation of possible Russian connections, including going to the White House complex independently to review documents on the purported surveillance.

"While I cannot discuss the content of the documents," Schiff said, "if the White House had any concern over these materials, they should have been shared with the full (House and Senate intelligence) committees in the first place as a part of our ordinary oversight responsibilities."

He said the material should now be given to both congressional intelligence committees.

FBI Director James Comey has said there is no evidence of wiretapping at Trump Tower in New York but that the agency is investigating whether the Trump campaign colluded with Russia.

Senator Angus King, a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, also said it was too soon to discuss immunity.

A government official with direct knowledge of the case told Reuters that lawyers for Flynn raised the immunity request roughly 10 days ago with representatives of the Senate panel.

Officials told them the committee was not interested in any immunity discussions at that time.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that Flynn had also sought immunity from the Federal Bureau of Investigation in exchange for testimony.

Flynn was forced to resign on Feb. 13 for failing to disclose talks with Kislyak about U.S. sanctions on Moscow and misleading Vice President Mike Pence about the conversations, which occurred before Trump took office.

Congressional committees and the FBI are looking into allegations by U.S. intelligence agencies that Russia meddled in the 2016 U.S. election campaign.

The Russian government has denied the allegations and denied that it hacked emails of Democratic groups and released information to tip the election toward Trump, who has called for better U.S. relations with Moscow.

King, an independent who caucuses with the Democrats, defended the investigations in a CNN interview.

"This is not a witch hunt," he said. "This is an effort to get to the truth of some very important questions.

"There is no doubt whatsoever that the Russians were behind an effort to interfere in our elections," he said. "To continue to deny that - it just flies in the face of all of the reality."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-01

Trump and crew did not know that Flynn discussed sanctions with the Russian Ambasador !

Trump and crew did not know that Flynn received buckets of money for PR work for the ousted Ukranian president !

Trump and crew did not know that Flynn should have registered as a foreign agent !

Trump and crew know so much about Flynn that they are encouraging him to make an immuniity deal without a clue as to what he is actually going to say:

You feeling lucky Donny boy ?

roulette.png.0156705e1f6476fb98b53242838932e4.png

Unbelieavable that Trump would have picked flynn for the head of the National Security council which shows how incompetent Trump is and how dangerous to the Nation he is and will continue to be.  Now, the question is what did Trump know and when did he know it.

If there is any evidence that Trump knew what flynn was doing and/or Trump knew that Russia was attempting to influence the US election and actually welcomed this type of interference in the American process then Trump's actions would amount to treason.

I have a feeling that the person who may need to seek immunity after he resigns or is impeached- will be Trump.

Undoubtedly the most incompetent President ever.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"Mike Flynn should ask for immunity in that this is a witch hunt (excuse for big election loss), by media & Dems, of historic proportion!" Trump said.

This is not a witch hunt, it is a search for the truth. No one who has not done anything wrong needs immunity protection from prosecution.

Having said that, I am very interested to hear what Flynn has to say. Donald may regret supporting his request for immunity when he does.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

This is not a witch hunt, it is a search for the truth. No one who has not done anything wrong needs immunity protection from prosecution.

Having said that, I am very interested to hear what Flynn has to say. Donald may regret supporting his request for immunity when he does.

I doubt Flynn can add anything useful. Investigators either already know, and/or they can readily find things.  Flynn is gaming the investigators.   Flynn is already in deep shit for supposedly lying to Pence - tho personally, I don't think Flynn lied to Pence.  I think he told Pence what was going on (with Russian contacts)  but Pence needed deniability at the time.  In so doing, Pence lied, and therefore Flynn had to also lie ("I didn't tell Pence......") in order to back up Pence's lie.   Also, the President lied (Trump knew for 3 weeks that Pence and Flynn lied, but didn't correct any of it) when he didn't correct Pence's statement, so they're all 3 implicated in the lie.  That, and many other cover-up attempts will come tumbling down like a house of rotten cards.

1 minute ago, whoareyou said:

She would prefer Putin. He has more money than trump and rides wild stallions bare backed half naked

Nobody wants to see a topless trump.. Well excluding his wife and daughter that is

Must be tough when you get paid to look. 

16 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

Incontinence is a lack of control. Sometimes that means you can't help but pee your pants. Another, more pleasant type of incontinence has to do with being undisciplined and addicted to life's pleasures. You probably don't want anything to do with incontinence. It could mean you're wetting the bed.

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

I doubt Flynn can add anything useful. Investigators either already know, and/or they can readily find things.  Flynn is gaming the investigators.   Flynn is already in deep shit for supposedly lying to Pence - tho personally, I don't think Flynn lied to Pence.  I think he told Pence what was going on (with Russian contacts)  but Pence needed deniability at the time.  In so doing, Pence lied, and therefore Flynn had to also lie ("I didn't tell Pence......") in order to back up Pence's lie.   Also, the President lied (Trump knew for 3 weeks that Pence and Flynn lied, but didn't correct any of it) when he didn't correct Pence's statement, so they're all 3 implicated in the lie.  That, and many other cover-up attempts will come tumbling down like a house of rotten cards.

Flynn immunity request must be for crimes not yet known

If Flynn has no further knowledge then his attorney/Flynn would be guilty of misrepresentation

Like everything else in this administration , the offer to testify under immunity was idiotic.

I would not want to testify also with out some assurance that I would not inadvertently incriminate my self and get my self in a world of trouble. So IMO the way to approach this would have being, " my client wants to testify but...."

let the investigating agencies make the immunity offer if they need you, then either way you have political cover.

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Like everything else in this administration , the offer to testify under immunity was idiotic.

I would not want to testify also with out some assurance that I would not inadvertently incriminate my self and get my self in a world of trouble. So IMO the way to approach this would have being, " my client wants to testify but...."

let the investigating agencies make the immunity offer if they need you, then either way you have political cover.

A profer ?

Flynn needs a blanket immunity, obtaining immunity from the FBI doesnt prevent others from prosecuting. He also has to be weary about others cutting a deal , 

13 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

A profer ?

Flynn needs a blanket immunity, obtaining immunity from the FBI doesnt prevent others from prosecuting. He also has to be weary about others cutting a deal , 

excellent point ^^^

there are many different , negotiable ways to structure this. By making it public, others with skin in the game might be afraid they will be left out in the cold.

The FBI did not close the door on immunity for Flynn, they said "not at this time"

This will get others thinking about making an deal before their door closes.

House of Cards

Edited by sirineou

2 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

Flynn immunity request must be for crimes not yet known

If Flynn has no further knowledge then his attorney/Flynn would be guilty of misrepresentation

Are you insinuating that Flynn or his attorney have a modicum of dignity - and would be concerned about 'misrepresentation.'   

By asking for immunity, Flynn is essentially saying he will lie (and continue lying) or stay silent (plead the 5th) if he doesn't get immunity.  How did a guy like that every get promoted to a US military General? Standards appear low.  

Earlier Flynn was espousing a ridiculous claim that there are signs along the Texas border with Mexico, written in Arabic, which tell Islam terrorists where the safe houses are.   Neither he nor anyone else has seen them, but redneck Trump fans love hearing stories like that, so they can fired up to go out and buy more guns.

1 hour ago, rockingrobin said:

A profer ?

It may prevent others from prosecuting, because the FBI and Justice Dept are joined at the hip.  The word is 'wary', but 'weary' could fit.  It must make a person weary to break laws and lie so sustainedly.  Pence and everyone else in the Oval Office must be getting weary of lying also, that's if they had one scintilla of moral fiber among them.  They've got as much morality as a jackal eating an elk, starting from the groin.      

It's good to hear Roger Stone will be put on the hot seat by at least one of the 3 committees looking into treason by Trump and associates.  Stone and/or Manafort are probably standing in the wings hoping to also get immunity.  Perhaps even more than Flynn, Stone and Manafort have/are the evidence that Trump defenders keep bleating doesn't exist.  There are more 'smoking guns' due to come out of this imbroglio, unless Trump and Republicans can continue to derail the investigative processes.

Edited by boomerangutang

Forget Congressional investigations they are useless as the past couple of decades have shown.  The FBI needs to put up or shut up soon as the country cannot stand another 8 years Of scandal, investigation, and innuendo. 

Edited by tonray

13 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Are you insinuating that Flynn or his attorney have a modicum of dignity - and would be concerned about 'misrepresentation.'   

By asking for immunity, Flynn is essentially saying he will lie (and continue lying) or stay silent (plead the 5th) if he doesn't get immunity.  How did a guy like that every get promoted to a US military General? Standards appear low.  

Earlier Flynn was espousing a ridiculous claim that there are signs along the Texas border with Mexico, written in Arabic, which tell Islam terrorists where the safe houses are.   Neither he nor anyone else has seen them, but redneck Trump fans love hearing stories like that, so they can fired up to go out and buy more guns.

It may prevent others from prosecuting, because the FBI and Justice Dept are joined at the hip.  The word is 'wary', but 'weary' could fit.  It must make a person weary to break laws and lie so sustainedly.  Pence and everyone else in the Oval Office must be getting weary of lying also, that's if they had one scintilla of moral fiber among them.  They've got as much morality as a jackal eating an elk, starting from the groin.      

It's good to hear Roger Stone will be put on the hot seat by at least one of the 3 committees looking into treason by Trump and associates.  Stone and/or Manafort are probably standing in the wings hoping to also get immunity.  Perhaps even more than Flynn, Stone and Manafort have/are the evidence that Trump defenders keep bleating doesn't exist.  There are more 'smoking guns' due to come out of this imbroglio, unless Trump and Republicans can continue to derail the investigative processes.

misrepresentation to FBI would be regarded as a felony

Never a dull moment in Trump Land, everyday comes with something new and even more unbelievable.  Seems like Flynn's desire for Immunity has nothing to do with what he thinks he can leverage for information about the Administration but due to crimes he personally committed that are now coming to light 

Michael Flynn Failed to Disclose Income From Russia-Linked Entities

Michael T. Flynn, the national security adviser who was forced out of the job in February, failed to list payments from Russia-linked entities on the first of two financial disclosure forms released Saturday by the Trump administration.

source and for futher reading: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/us/politics/michael-flynn-financial-disclosure-russia-linked-entities.html?_r=0

6 hours ago, tonray said:

the country cannot stand another 8 years Of scandal, investigation, and innuendo. 

The country is getting what it voted for.  It's just a shame that barely 63 million people got to decide what the other 180 million have to put up with.

Just now, tonray said:

The FBI needs to put up or shut up soon as the country cannot stand another 8 years Of scandal, investigation, and innuendo. 

Patience.

Not to worry, the FBI will put up while shutting up.

It will come. :laugh:

You think the professionals are gonna let you and the investigated in on their methods?

Like Nunes the partisan hack who runs off and informs to the investigated?

P.S. 8 years??

Are you implying Trump, this sad, pathetic, incompetent buffoon will last 8 years?  :cheesy:

14 hours ago, tonray said:

Forget Congressional investigations they are useless as the past couple of decades have shown.  The FBI needs to put up or shut up soon as the country cannot stand another 8 years Of scandal, investigation, and innuendo. 

I don't trust the FBI to do a respectable job.  With Republican Comey in charge - he's already shown how partisan he is - he will instruct his investigators to disregard anything that isn't blatantly incriminating.  In other words, all the circumstantial stuff will likely be tossed in the trash heap.  For example: Trump saying, "Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing......" will be dismissed as just grandstanding - when it should be part of the case showing Trump's mental state and his borderline-treasonous intentions.  What prominent American has ever asked the Russians to release private data on an American citizen?   I challenge Trumpsters to name one (other than Trump).  They can't.

There should be an independent counsel appointed (as non-partisan as possible) who has power to subpoena anyone, including the prez and first lady, and Ivanka and the other kids.   One question:  Who picks the committee and chairman of that independent investigative body?   It's probably moot, because with a Rep executive branch and majorities in both houses, Republicans will do all they can to thwart any meaningful investigation.

Edited by boomerangutang