Chain Link fence panels 8' x 10'

I am building a house in Udon and decided on running chain link around the back of the property and let flowering vines grow up to eventually create privacy.  I got a quote from China for hot dipped galvanized pre-made panels that are 8' H x 10' W.  I need 65 of them and the China company said 100 fit on half container and 200 on a full container.  The panels are $62.97 each, shipping for half container is $450 to Bangkok.  I will not need them until Aug.  

Is anyone interested in adding on to the order. The price gets better for a full container.   There is room for 35 more panels on the half container and room for 135 on a full container.  They look like below but without the foot plate (green arrow). 

Also if you have a better idea, let me know.

Inline image 2

I plan to use them like shown below except for the use of a concrete post every 10 feet.

Inline image 3

Not to throw a monkey wrench in your plan, but did you check on the cost once the container arrives in Thailand?  Once the container arrives there will be port costs,,customs inspection, internal delivery of the container in Thailand, and customs and VAT on the CIF Thailand. VAT is 7% on CIF + duty.  Do you know what % duty you will be paying?  I import containers of farm equipment and am well aware of the added costs.  In addition if you do not have everything per-arranged there will be additional costs for rental and storage of the container if it is not unloaded and returned to the shipping line within the agreed upon period, usually three days after arrival. I use an international broker in Bangkok to receive clear and deliver all of my shipments.  PM me and I will give you tyhe contact details.

I've attached the 295 page Schedule of Tariffs for Thailand that outlines the amount of duty that you should expect to pay.  I think that the HS code is 7314.41.00 which has 20% duty applied but don't know if it is different for assembled panels, usually more  So you actual costs would be your invoice cost + insurance + freight + customs duty and inspection (CIF) + 7% VAT on everything so far + port costs + delivery in Thailand + additional container rental and storage costs (if any).

In the end it might just be cheaper to have them built locally.

HS Code Book Thailand.pdf

I have not done chain-link fence in Thailand but I have done tone of it in my properties in the US. I know its available in Thailand because I have seen Threads in the subject in this and other forums , here is one of them.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/276378-chain-link-fence/

anyway, why use panels with the resulting gaps between panels? A proper chain link fence is very easy to do probably easier than the panels.and the chain link roles are easy to splice together making for a smooth continues product.. the poles are placed bout ten ft apart then a top rail pipe where the chain link hungs, the beauty of such system is that if there is  an obstruction at the then ft mark the poles can be places closer together. With the panels your poles will have to be where the panels end.

Anyway if you decide to go with a proper chain link fence PM me and I will give you detail instructions or look for instructional videos on Youtube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEmSpb0ekFg

I've done it  both ways, but have never used pre-made panels.  You can stretch the wire as in the above post and then stretch a tension cable at the top and the bottom.  Normally I would use this for long runs and use field fencing, not chain link (To keep the cattle in/out).  When I used chain link I would use  galvanized poles set in concrete and the panels were made in situ by first installing the top and bottom poles, then stretching the fence and terminating it inside of each pole (if proper hardware is available). Since the panels are made in situ the pole spacing is not critical.  Most chain link fences in the US are made this way.  They are aesthetically pleasing and by use of the top and bottom tension poles they keep critters in/out.  In my case Golden Retrievers.  I also had to put footings between the poles to prevent digging.

No welding required.

I agree with the last two posters. I imagine that you want chain link panels  because you have used them in the past. I too have constructed kilometres of chain link fence and am asking myself why you want panels. Or indeed chain link.

I am convinced that with an order of this size you can find an artisan in Thailand that could make you something much nicer and at a cheaper price.

The alternative, building a wall, would also most likely be much cheaper. Leaving climbing plants to scramble up a fence sounds nice but you are inventing your self a job that you will have to be doing several times a year, trimming and clearing away. It would also encourage beasties instead of discouraging them.

None of my business, but...

13 minutes ago, Hereinthailand said:

Google translate on pp fence cost looks much cheaper and it is made in New Zealand plus free shipping.

Unless I am missing something, all of the fence that I can find on pp site is what I would consider "field fence"., not galvanized "chain link" fencing. Like this

All of the replies are good ideas, thanks for the comments.

I wanted to use panels because at 10 foot intervals I wanted a concrete post with a light at the top. It can be electric on a timed on/off schedule or photo sensor on/off or maybe use solar LEDs...not sure yet.  I will live at the end of a soi with farm land on 3 sides and wanted to light up the area at night so a typical chain link setup didn't appeal to me.  I also plan to put an electric security fence on top of that and thought a concrete pole might provide better attachment points.

Panels seemed like one of many options but I like the idea of hot dipped galvanized panels.  Plus if the posts are properly set, attaching the panels seems pretty fast and easy.  The posts I have seen have holes left to right at certain heights and my thought was to run rebar or some other metal through leaving a few inches exposed on each side for panel attachment.  I may have to have something crafted for the hardware, again not sure.

If the panels were fabricated on site, they usually cut and weld and that leaves the welds open for rust.  Plus I've seen some pretty bad welding jobs that might prove to be the weakest point of failure.  Maybe some rust resistant paint may work but certainly not as well as galvanizing the unit as a whole.  BUT if the cost is substantially less, then that will be hard to overlook.

And lastly I was uncertain what the duties, taxes, and graft fees might be plus shipping to my location in Udon.  That will all be considered before selecting the final option.

Thanks again.

I also plan to put an electric security fence on top of that

You would indeed be a very wise person  to seek advice  concerning that particular proposed fixture.

If as such  there were to be an incident resulting in  injury or death   the consequences  for the property owner could indeed be draconian, freedom  curtailment and financially damaging irrespective of the motive(s) and intentions of  any injured party.                     

If you can't keep dogs then an electric fence is a good option, many people have done it, and they don't need to be at a lethal voltage. Signs put up work wonders.

Chain link fencing I put in place three years ago (concrete posts) shows no sign of rust. That's because it's galvanised.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

41 minutes ago, MarcIssan said:

If the panels were fabricated on site, they usually cut and weld and that leaves the welds open for rust.  Plus I've seen some pretty bad welding jobs that might prove to be the weakest point of failure.  Maybe some rust resistant paint may work but certainly not as well as galvanizing the unit as a whole.  BUT if the cost is substantially less, then that will be hard to overlook.

And lastly I was uncertain what the duties, taxes, and graft fees might be plus shipping to my location in Udon.  That will all be considered before selecting the final option.

I've made many chain link fences and have e made the panels between the posts in situ with absolutely no welding required.  You have to have the proper hardware but there is no welding required.

If you want a ball park estimate of what the shipping, customs and VAT will cost delivered to your site PM me and I will send you my broker's info in Thailand.  If properly coordinated up-front there will be no ++++ and graft fees.

Wayned,

Let me sift through other options and if this one rises to the top then I'll look more into it.  I  haven't started building yet and have plenty of time and honestly only looked at this one so far. I am for sure going with some sort of wire mesh and need 200 meters of it but maybe I can use rolls of chain link and still have a concrete post every 10' to support my lighting option.  I'll just need to figure out the top and bottom rail attachment.

Marc

Cooked,

So tell  me more about your chain link fence and how you used the concrete posts.  Pics would be nice too.  At that time, what do you figure the cost per meter was including the concrete post, mesh, and labor if you hired the work.

Marc

One more thing,

The electric fence would not be line voltage, just a pulsed charge with very low amperage.  I used them on animal fencing to keep the horses in...and the dogs out.  I got zapped many times working around it while it was still on and it woke me up but that's it.  I've read about them on this site quite a bit.  I think chain link with flowering vines would look better and be way cheaper than concrete and looking at concrete is just blah.  I have 2 Rai to fence, 50m x 75m, As for the trim work, I'll have a gardener 1-2 times a week so the incremental cost for a trim is zero, it's just one more thing on his list without a cost line item to me.  Automatic sprinklers will take care of the watering so no work there and they never need a coat of paint!

Thanks all for your wisdom...I really do appreciate the info.

Marc

Has anyone found the correct fittings for installing chain link? Best I've seen is the fencing welded to steel poles but the big complaint is the welds rust quickly and the fencing comes loose. Concrete posts would work using one inch steel strips and bolting them to the post. Heck of a lot of work though.

Hot dipped galvanized chain link fabric is available locally.  My local metal basher has it in stock.  I could go to him and have him build  8' x 10' panels.  The fabric would be welded to the top bottom and end poles which would be welded together and the item would be painted with silver paint, but the entire end item would not be hot dipped galvanized as  an assembly.  He would happily build as many as I wanted and would even contract setting the poles, manufacturing the attaching hardware and installing the fence including fabrication of as many gates that I wanted, but the items would be welded together and the end items including attaching hardware would bve painted, noyt galvanized as assemblies.

I've had him build chain link panels and gates for dog runs exactly this way in the past and even have one on the whelping room in my house, but it's painted!

• 2 weeks later...

Ten years ago i build my own kennels and had everything hot dipped galvanized in Thailand.

Panels still like new,and i use them for other animals now.

Not chainlink but vertical bars made of light steel but very strong.

Archived