Withaya to propose Totchtawan’s name

rooster59

Withaya to propose Totchtawan’s name

By The Nation

627f964ae8173235cd19e89fe69b24d1.jpeg

THE FOOTBALL Association of Thailand’s technical director Withaya Laohakul said he will propose the name of Muangthong United coach Totchtawan Sripan when the association starts its search for a new national team coach.

The post of national coach became vacant when Kiatisak Senamuang, who oversaw one of the team’s most successful periods, resigned on Friday in the wake of the Kingdom’s dreadful campaign in the last-12 team round of the Asian qualifying for the 2018 World Cup.

The former national striker decided to step down from the post he had held since 2013 during which time he helped the Kingdom return to the pinnacle of regional football with back-to-back Asean Championship titles, the last of which came in December.

Withaya said the first name he would propose was that of Totchtawan, whose Muangthong side are currently topping the table in the top-flight Thai League.

“I guess the [Thai FA] president would soon call a meeting to find a new coach. I can’t say who would be Kiatisak’s replacement. I would propose Totchtawan’s name in the meeting. It’s a common practice to first consider a coach of the side that leads the domestic league.

“There are also several Muangthong players in the national team, which could make it easier for Totchtawan to fit into the new post. I have already had talks with him. He neither accepted nor rejected it. There needs to be a formal offer,” said Withaya.

Meanwhile, Kiatisak, whose last match in charge was the 4-0 loss to Japan that left the Thai side firmly rooted to the bottom of Group B with only a single point after seven games, said he would not coach another Asean side, following reports of interest from neighbouring countries.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/sports/30311041

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-02

Alex Sabella being linked with the job. He managed Argentina in the last World Cup. Sheffield United bought Sabella just after the 78 World Cup, passing up the opportunity to buy a fat little 17 year old called Diego Maradona.