Trump donates first-quarter salary to National Park Service

webfact

Trump donates first-quarter salary to National Park Service

REUTERS

r14.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump looks up during his meeting with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, U.S., April 3, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump, who made a fortune in real estate before running for political office, has decided to donate his first-quarter salary of $78,333 to the National Park Service, the White House announced on Monday.

During the presidential campaign, Trump said he would donate his $400,000 annual salary if he were elected.

"That's no big deal for me," he told a town-hall style meeting in September 2015.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, whose agency oversees the 100-year-old protector of 417 national parks, monuments and other sites, said he was "thrilled" at Trump's decision.

"We are going to dedicate and put it against the infrastructure on our nation's battlefields," Zinke said, appearing alongside White House spokesman Sean Spicer at a daily briefing. "We are about $229 million behind in deferred maintenance on our battlefields alone," Zinke said.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason; Writing by Tim Ahmann; Editing by Chris Reese and Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-04

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Keep your salary.  Just pay for the millions of dollars it costs to provide security for you and your family on all your "official" golf outings and trips around the world. 

Based on the *lowest* estimate of the cost of Melania & Banon's NY stay ($45.35m/y), Trump's donation would pay for 15 hours of that cost. The other 8,745 hours are paid for by cutting the budgets of things like the National Park Service.

Donates his salary after being called out for not doing it. Cheeto Jesus is the worst President...ever. When you consider how horrible GW Bush was, that's saying something. 

Does Donald have even the slightest idea of what was in White House proposed budget? Or is he not a "details" man?

If he does know, this token gesture is not going to fool most people. Like cutting off water main, then dropping by to give half liter  water bottle.... "See? I really care about you"

1 hour ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Nice gesture.

I assume he is going to include this donation on his income tax returns.  I say assume, because we will likely never know.

Oh he'll definitely claim it as a charitable donation or even write it off as a business expense.  Regardless, he'll find a way to make money off it and we'll never know.  Cheaters are gonna cheat.

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Keep your salary.  Just pay for the millions of dollars it costs to provide security for you and your family on all your "official" golf outings and trips around the world. 

Check out what it cost for the Obamas to vacation in Hawaii many many times.

5 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

What other USA president donated his entire salary? Doesn't really matter how rich he is. All modern day presidents have been extremely wealthy.  Just sayin, not supporting. 

I would say probably quite a few donated large sums to charity , most would have had enough dignity not to advertise the fact via an official White House spokesman.

37 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

A vacation is no problem.  A few times a year.  Perfect.  But we're paying for extra security because Trump wants to use Trump Tower as an office.  Previous president's did do things like that. Check out the cost.  Staggering.

He complained about Obama golfing and is now doing it way more than Obama.  Which necessitates extra security.

If he is really a man of the people, use Camp David.  It's setup for security.  Save money.  Isn't that what he campaigned about?

We're paying for protection for his kids to visit foreign countries to market the Trump name.

I call :post-4641-1156693976:

24 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

What other USA president donated his entire salary? Doesn't really matter how rich he is. All modern day presidents have been extremely wealthy.  Just sayin, not supporting. 

Obama was far from wealthy.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I would give him whatever he wanted, if he would only promise to eff off, and let people who know what they are doing run the country.

The fear is, he's gonna *take* whatever he wants *while* keeping the job.

29 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Obama was far from wealthy.

Just his books made millions. He was a millionaire.  There are many links to his wealth if you cared to look. I'm not   sure what wealthy means to each person. 

Obama wasn't rich.  As a Senator and Uni lecturer, was about 100k/year.

He took the POTUS 400k salary, but a lot of his wealth is from book deals, royalties and investments parlayed from that.  The post-presidential pension is 200k/year and he's apparently got another book deal on the cards. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savingandinvesting/this-is-barack-obamas-net-worth-as-he-leaves-the-white-house/ar-BBve7Bg#page=1

By law, Presidents have to be paid as the Founding Fathers thought an unpaid POTUS would be more susceptible to bribery.  LOL.   Other Presidents who donated their POTUS salary to charity were Herbert Hoover and John F. Kennedy. 

1 hour ago, sanukjim said:

Nobody is complaining about the right of Trump to take a well earned vacation. Trump now has security teams running wild for half his family staying in New York, the White House, Maralago every week and lets not forget his three little piggies. Obama deserved his holidays. He was in the Whitehouse 24/7 working his ass off for the country. Trump just wants to set a new golfing record. He even wants to take the Chinese President out to his golf resort despite the Chinese banning the game for it's Government. How about you give us the links for the costs of Obama's vacations and lets see if it equals one week of Trumps swampy families expenses.

Well with the donation of his first quarters salary maybe now the National Parks Service can employ someone that can accurately count the size of crowds at public gatherings :wink:

1 hour ago, sanukjim said:

Nowhere near what it's going to cost the nation just for Trump.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/320212-report-trump-on-track-to-spend-more-on-travel-than-obama

But I wouldn't have a problem with it had not Steve Bannon's Breitbart.com  been attacking Obama for his travel expenses

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/12/29/report-obama-family-travel-expenses-cost-taxpayers-96-million-over-8-years/

http://www.breitbart.com/obama/2016/01/05/obama-family-vacation-breaks-bank-taxpayer-expense/

3 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Does Donald have even the slightest idea of what was in White House proposed budget? Or is he not a "details" man?

If he does know, this token gesture is not going to fool most people. Like cutting off water main, then dropping by to give half liter  water bottle.... "See? I really care about you"

It'll be a deductible anyway. 

I'm definitely liking the above because it is true as.

Trump got in, the others *cough* who should be in jail didn't.  In my opinion of course. I don't think there is one thing he hasn't done since coming into office he hasn't promised to do.

Immigration for one, sure yell out Islamaphobia.

Edited by Minnie the Minx

19 minutes ago, Minnie the Minx said:

Love him or hate him he's here to stay.

I was reading about the 230 000 poll posts calling for Melania and their son to move to Washington or stop funds for security, can't find the link I think it was on Huffpost, anyways, come on.

Love your posts Minnie but on this one I feel the following should prevail for the Donald that is.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and maytheir arms be too short to scratch