Phuket beach businesses cleared under guise of ‘Keep Phuket Clean’ campaign

Jonathan Fairfield

Phuket beach businesses cleared under guise of ‘Keep Phuket Clean’ campaign

1491304267_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Local police and officials from the Kamala Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor) took the launch of the “Keep Phuket Clean” campaign today (April 4) to heart by demolishing structures that were home to about 10 beachfront businesses deemed to be on public land.

The “cleanup”, which attracted a crowd of Thai and foreign onlookers, began at 9am and was supervised by Lt Col Chockdee Mabangyang and Lt Col Pramual Jaikrathok of the Kamala Police.

“Business owners had been given notice that the demolitions would happen this morning,” Col Chockdee told The Phuket News.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-businesses-cleared-under-guise-of-keep-phuket-clean-campaign-61676.php#EURTzExQCAqX5Yfl.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-04-04

‘Keep Phuket Clean’ campaign draws thousands to Patong Beach

1491302702_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: More than 2,000 people turned out at Patong Beach for a mass beach-cleanup today (April 4) as Phuket Governor Chockchai Dejamornthan launched the government-driven “Keep Phuket Clean” campaign.

The government has issued an order to solve the rubbish problem. The plan is for Thailand to be free of litter all this year, 2017,” Gov Chockchai told the crowd gathered near the Police Box at the end of Bangla Rd.

“So Phuket has launched the campaign ‘Keep Phuket Clean by our hands’. The objective is to make people more concerned about cleanliness,” he added.

Similar launch events will be held at the end of Saphan Hin and at Bang Tao Beach in Cherng Talay, Gov Chockchai noted.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/keep-phuket-clean-campaign-draws-thousands-to-patong-beach-61675.php#4QkDm6EQtZT7fY8b.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-04-04

52 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The plan is for Thailand to be free of litter all this year, 2017,”

That bodes ill for the oceans then, cos that is where a lot of rubbish that can't get chucked in the streets is going to end up.

I wonder how many of the 2,000 that turned up actually got involved with clearing rubbish and how many came to see the restaurants getting torn down?

The Governors last official duty?

Just been announced the PM is using A. 44 to transfer him to the PM's office, effective immediately.

This one only lasted six months ,  always seemed to be out of his depth to me.

They could have cleared these businesses in the low season, when there are very little tourists around. So now Kamala looks like a dumping ground. Hardly the image you want to show when tourists are trying to enjoy their holiday. 

58 minutes ago, Damaz6052 said:

The beach needs rubbish bins. I take my son to Kamala beach and have to clear the cigarette butts and rubiish before I can sit down.

Rubbish is a low priority item. No money to be made there. 

4 minutes ago, Pinot said:

Rubbish is a low priority item. No money to be made there. 

Pinot  NO money in garbage? Is that why the last prime minister has a recycling business (garbage composting) in Chiang Mai  Oddly it is said that the mafia runs the garbage collection in NYC. It is just a matter of time till it really pays off in Thailand with another A.44 special order.

It may not be pretty or a classy sounding business but it always pays. 

15 hours ago, the guest said:

They could have cleared these businesses in the low season, when there are very little tourists around. So now Kamala looks like a dumping ground. Hardly the image you want to show when tourists are trying to enjoy their holiday. 

It only happened yesterday- give them a chance! 

The area next to the park looks cleaned up already (well there was one tuk tuk parked in the middle of it) and the stuff along the beach has been piled up for collection. Rome wasn't built in a day. Interesting it happened as the governor was being sacked- sorry 'transferred'.

Further to this I notice a lot of the taxi and motorbike taxi drivers disappeared about 1600 today, maybe the rain or (tinfoil hat on) maybe a backlash is being planned (tinfoil hat off ).  

There will be a lot of pst off people in Kamala at the moment having had their scams and illegal activity removed and it goes up the chain with the loss of payoffs. 

Its going to be a lean low season for some- what a pity!

The restaurant by the middle khlong in Kamala has set up again whilst all around were collecting the remnants of their businesses yesterday. Temporary tarpaulin roof but the arrogance of some astounds me ( well it doesn't really anymore). They obviously have some juice.