Video: Pick-up refuses to stop after motorcyclist ends up in the ditch

webfact

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, tagalong said:

Thai way.........Not me / mine ! ...I do not care.......I notice Thais do not stop to help in accidents....Fantastic, Thais prefer to protect dogs before their own people........:shock1:....

The Thais know better! Try it and see who the hospital gives the bill to, you will be "helping" in more ways than you thought usually. Or the injured blames you! At least if you get sued it's not too much $$$ like the west...

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Holy Sh_t!

Same thing happened to me in Canada many years ago, except I was in a car. This sent shivers down me spine... I went through the windshield with my head because some jake arse didn't value the life of others.

I can only pray that I never do that to someone else, because in the end it was just another stupid accident that could have been prevented.

Hope the rider is OK.

" I went through the windshield with my head because some jake arse didn't value the life of others."

Many would argue that you went through the windshield because, like a jack ass, you had not fastened  your seat belt.

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

That's very true, but watching the video, I thought the Motorbike rider had time to slow down a bit, he did not seem to have much common sense.

I always slow down when I see any vehicle on any side wanting to come out on to the main road.

I suspect the scooter driver didn't slow down because the car was travelling slowly - making it a reasonable assumption that he intended allowing the scooter by before continuing across the main road.

Its a difficult decision as it can so easily end up with both hesitant vehicles deciding at the same time the other driver is waiting for them to go first!

20 hours ago, tagalong said:

Thai way.........Not me / mine ! ...I do not care.......I notice Thais do not stop to help in accidents....Fantastic, Thais prefer to protect dogs before their own people........:shock1:....

I've been helped 3 times by Thais in accidents all my fault.

All been life savers.

No sympathy, for MC rider, see it all the time, did you see the MC rider brake, no skidding, nothing, they all seem to think that everybody has to give way to MC riders regardless of road rules. Nobody in Thailand is taught defensive driving, if the BC rider had taken notice of the traffic conditions in front of him he would have slowed in anticipation of the pickup not seeing him. No wonder there are thousands of MC deaths in Thailand every year.

17 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Out of curiosity, what are the penalties for a hit & run in Thailand? Is there some jail time for that?

Probably just 'grovel' on the floor at their feet and 'mumble' you are sorry to the victim (or injured)............

Just like the several soldiers did to the mother of the soldier they murdered.........

And ask to be forgiven, since you got caught red-handed.............

P.S.    I just love the number of 'surveillance cameras' that are providing all this evidence now days.

4 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

No sympathy, for MC rider, see it all the time, did you see the MC rider brake, no skidding, nothing, they all seem to think that everybody has to give way to MC riders regardless of road rules. Nobody in Thailand is taught defensive driving, if the BC rider had taken notice of the traffic conditions in front of him he would have slowed in anticipation of the pickup not seeing him. No wonder there are thousands of MC deaths in Thailand every year.

"No sympathy, for MC rider, see it all the time, did you see the MC rider brake, no skidding, nothing, they all seem to think that everybody has to give way to MC riders regardless of road rules."

"Road rules" say that the MC rider had right of way....

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

The bike also went the wrong way, he should have gone to his right, he would almost certainly have missed the rear of the truck, going left pretty well guaranteed an incident.

EDIT If something crosses in front of you head for where it came from, it's unlikely to go back that way.

...any inanimate object for sure..Ive seen plenty of animals double back at the last minute.

Edited by tandor

We can argue all day ( and probably will ) about why the MC rider didn't slowdown and rode straight into the ditch or why the pickup thought he had right of way, which he obviously didn't, and came out without stopping .
But, to me, the real issue is why didn't the pickup stop and assist the MC rider !!
Whether he believed he was at fault or not should not have stopped him from giving assistance, maybe the driver didn't see the rider actually plummet into the ditch but the guy stood in the back certainly did and from the short video it appeared that he treated it with total indifference !!

Total lack of respect for lives of others !! [emoji35]

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

The bike also went the wrong way, he should have gone to his right, he would almost certainly have missed the rear of the truck, going left pretty well guaranteed an incident.

EDIT If something crosses in front of you head for where it came from, it's unlikely to go back that way.

One of motorcycling's harsh realities is that motorcycles tend to go where the driver is looking.  In this case, the motorcycle drivers eyes are probably fixated on the truck and that tends to paralyze response. Though I never raced competitively,  I did take a series of AMA certified racing courses and during those courses they spend a lot of time discussing accident avoidance and specifically, how to train yourself to reflexively look for an escape route when a situation occurs in your path.  If you watch motorsports on TV, you can frequently see how good most pro drivers are at driving through a developing situation...but it's not easy to learn as our first instinct is to look in the direction of what is frightening us.  A basic tenet of motorcycling is "look into a turn" but countless accidents occur because a bike goes into a turn a bit to fast and the driver looks where he doesn't want to go...and that's where he ends up.  

10 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Whether he believed he was at fault or not should not have stopped him from giving assistance, maybe the driver didn't see the rider actually plummet into the ditch but the guy stood in the back certainly did and from the short video it appeared that he treated it with total indifference !!

Total lack of respect for lives of others !! emoji35.png

Yes reckon he was on Line or Fake Book at the time.

and Motor cycle guy was on Yabba or Pot.

Stupid is as Stupid does

Amazing Thailand :stoner:

23 minutes ago, dddave said:

One of motorcycling's harsh realities is that motorcycles tend to go where the driver is looking.  In this case, the motorcycle drivers eyes are probably fixated on the truck and that tends to paralyze response. Though I never raced competitively,  I did take a series of AMA certified racing courses and during those courses they spend a lot of time discussing accident avoidance and specifically, how to train yourself to reflexively look for an escape route when a situation occurs in your path.  If you watch motorsports on TV, you can frequently see how good most pro drivers are at driving through a developing situation...but it's not easy to learn as our first instinct is to look in the direction of what is frightening us.  A basic tenet of motorcycling is "look into a turn" but countless accidents occur because a bike goes into a turn a bit to fast and the driver looks where he doesn't want to go...and that's where he ends up.  

Love your analogy. Rather fortifies my thinking in having no desire to have a motorbike. 

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

I suspect the scooter driver didn't slow down because the car was travelling slowly - making it a reasonable assumption that he intended allowing the scooter by before continuing across the main road.

Its a difficult decision as it can so easily end up with both hesitant vehicles deciding at the same time the other driver is waiting for them to go first!

Common sense would say that the motorbike rider should slow down just in case, if it was in the middle of a busy town or city, he would not have been traveling at that speed in the first place as vehicles and MCs are coming out from side streets all the time, so as I say, common sense should have told the MC rider to slow down in that situation.

19 hours ago, Artisi said:

Did the bike rider forget give way to the right? 

As well as to the left, behind, in front, above, below........

Of course the MC, on seeing the PU, could have taken a pre-emptive action of slowing down in anticipation....ach no.  TIT

Astonishing the driver didn't stop and help.

They must have seen the mc rider coming from the left because when crossing a road, you always look both ways. 

I'm also amazed the guy in the back of truck didn't notice the accident.

I believe that everyone was on yaba incl the rider as he didn't even slow down!

Just now, possum1931 said:

Common sense would say that the motorbike rider should slow down just in case, if it was in the middle of a busy town or city, he would not have been traveling at that speed in the first place as vehicles and MCs are coming out from side streets all the time, so as I say, common sense should have told the MC rider to slow down in that situation.

Yes, in the comfort of sitting in front of a computer/phone screen and with the advantage of retrospect its easy to think the scooter driver should have slowed down dramatically (or stopped) to avoid any chance of a collision.

In real life.... the truck was moving very slowly (until the scooter gets v close...) so its understandable that the scooter (on the main road) thought the truck was waiting for him to pass.

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Yes, in the comfort of sitting in front of a computer/phone screen and with the advantage of retrospect its easy to think the scooter driver should have slowed down dramatically (or stopped) to avoid any chance of a collision.

In real life.... the truck was moving very slowly (until the scooter gets v close...) so its understandable that the scooter (on the main road) thought the truck was waiting for him to pass.

Were they trying out for a part in the new Terminator movie??