Video: Pick-up refuses to stop after motorcyclist ends up in the ditch

webfact

14 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Hey Bazza its about statistics.They say that pick ups and motorbikes are the most involved with all the road accidents.also it says speeding is often one of the reasons.So for me to automatically limit the speed of all the pick ups makes perfect sense.I would even include trucks minivans and touring busses and ban them from also from the right lane these vehicles do not need overtake any other vehicles on highways.

"They say". That sounds like a very authoritative source of statistics.

Speed, alcohol and fatigue are the main factors in accidents. For Thailand, you can add in other stuff such as yaa baa, skills deficiencies, and sheer lack of attention. Risk assessment doesn't appear to be a Thai attribute.

Even assuming you could get the authorities here to install speed limiters on the types of vehicles you describe, I suspect all you would do is create a thriving industry in circumventing them.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

With one exception. Not when you're hammered that you don't remember anything. 

What? You think if you're hammered and cannot remember that it is okay? Or are you saying it does no good to be hammered and forget the rule? 

Seems to me to be very simple; don't get hammered and drive or ride. However, that would take some self-control, wouldn't it? 

9 minutes ago, smotherb said:

What? You think if you're hammered and cannot remember that it is okay? Or are you saying it does no good to be hammered and forget the rule? 

Seems to me to be very simple; don't get hammered and drive or ride. However, that would take some self-control, wouldn't it? 

What I was trying to say is that you shouldn't drink and drive. 

2 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

What I was trying to say is that you shouldn't drink and drive. 

Where did you see I was saying anything about drinking? I was responding to a discussion about whether it is give way to the right or left.  Go back and read the posts to which I commented.

On 4/8/2017 at 9:42 AM, bander said:

Anyway the motorcyclist could be hurt seriously, what kind person would run away from that? 

Most definitely, most people know that you are supposed to wait for the road to be clear and proceed if it safe to do so, except of course in Thailand where it is me, me, me.

On 4/8/2017 at 11:07 AM, terminatorchiangmai said:

Isn't it right have the right of way in Thailand ?

The truck was already on the road , so the stop sign was not for the second lane he approached.

Motorbike should have slowed down to avoid this accident.

What kind of drug are you smoking?  In any civilized country or any for that matter you wait at the stop sign and proceed when it is safe to do so, the motorcycle was on the main road and had the right of way.  The truck was already on the road because in Thailand it's always me first, regardless.  If it is the attitude you have when you are behind the wheel, maybe you should have your driver license revoked as you are a danger on the road.

When I first started riding motorcycles on the roads in the UK, I was told to ride as if everyone and thing was out to get me (i.e. ride defensively and be prepared to take avoiding action or stop safely if needs be) this is what you need to do for certain on Thai roads whether on a bike, riding in a car or walking, danger can come every which way and a lot of times when least expected... (and stopping on a thai road is a bit iffy as your likely to get rear ended by some idiot)

My pennies worth is the pick up started across the main rd well before the bike was near the junction, bike had plenty of time to slow to allow passage of pick up, as said in posts he never slowed or deviate from his collision course, just before he dumps the bike he is sat bolt up right as if pulling brakes yet they do nothing? So bike was either defective brakes, rider not paying attention, drugged or pi $$ d up or asleep (definitely was not on the phone I could see that) good to see they was wearing an helmet though!

The arguments about thai rules of the road have no bearing as most people (Thais & Farang) do not abide by them so its down again to common sense and defensive driving/riding...

On 4/7/2017 at 6:31 PM, chickenslegs said:

It's very clear to me that the truck was crossing slowly and , had both vehicles maintained their same speed, the bike would have passed in front of the truck with a bit of time to spare.

To the bike rider it probably seemed that the truck driver was calculating his speed to allow the bike to pass in front.

But, the truck suddenly accelerated and it was too late for the bike rider to do very much. He did well to avoid hitting the truck.

My guess is that the truck driver saw the bike at the last moment and thought he could accelerate through before it reached him. Wrong.

Totally agree with this statement, I have seen many time the driver making a U turn and they just drive out to the center of the road to focus other drivers to stop for them to drive over.

That bike rider looked like an idiot if you ask me.

Even if the pickup was at fault for crossing , why didn't the bike rider slow down ? Because he/she didn't pay attention and was not thinking , just like any average Thai on the roads here.  Yes they are both to blame , still look at the video . 

Reading some stupid comments about road rules making me think that (aside Thai's people here) many here needs to have driving rules test as soon as possible to avoid having another video of themselves  on this forum...:coffee1:

22 hours ago, Lokie said:

When I first started riding motorcycles on the roads in the UK, I was told to ride as if everyone and thing was out to get me (i.e. ride defensively and be prepared to take avoiding action or stop safely if needs be) this is what you need to do for certain on Thai roads whether on a bike, riding in a car or walking, danger can come every which way and a lot of times when least expected... (and stopping on a thai road is a bit iffy as your likely to get rear ended by some idiot)

My pennies worth is the pick up started across the main rd well before the bike was near the junction, bike had plenty of time to slow to allow passage of pick up, as said in posts he never slowed or deviate from his collision course, just before he dumps the bike he is sat bolt up right as if pulling brakes yet they do nothing? So bike was either defective brakes, rider not paying attention, drugged or pi $$ d up or asleep (definitely was not on the phone I could see that) good to see they was wearing an helmet though!

The arguments about thai rules of the road have no bearing as most people (Thais & Farang) do not abide by them so its down again to common sense and defensive driving/riding...

This post started so well, and then degenerated into blaming the scooter driver for not slowing down until the pickup had crossed the main road :sad:.

How many times does it have to be pointed out that the pickup started crossing the main road very slowly (giving the scooter driver every reason to believe that he was following road rules and giving the scooter on the main road right of way), before unexpectedly increasing speed when it was already too late for the scooter to slow down/stop?

35 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

This post started so well, and then degenerated into blaming the scooter driver for not slowing down until the pickup had crossed the main road :sad:.

How many times does it have to be pointed out that the pickup started crossing the main road very slowly (giving the scooter driver every reason to believe that he was following road rules and giving the scooter on the main road right of way), before unexpectedly increasing speed when it was already too late for the scooter to slow down/stop?

Err, no it didn't generate into blaming the scooter rider, it seems most blame the pick up..., Is like saying I have a right to stop at this junction on the highway in Thailand and I will coz thats the law, if I am splattered by some loon who runs me down then I was in the right but dead anyway and he was not???

Behave, see - C O M M M O N SENSE!!! Yes at that junction there is probably a stop sign (Yield) but pick up started his manoeuvre first (does it say in Thai law at what speed crossing a road must be carried out? I don't think so) at end of day both the pick up and scooter were not exactly displaying due care and attention (at what point does the scooter rider take evasive action in your thory then DD?? how far to prove a point lol???

Hey its Thailand so will be a t o$$ up whether they have even got a licence to ride /drive (for what its worth competence wise) as said only my slant on what I observed from video but the scooter was away with the fairies for not slowing to allow the pick up to complete his crossing and he paid for it, way to to prove a point then ehh? All I know is if I was driving the pick up or riding the scooter then would have been no accident but then I do not possess Thai logic. I am just a stupid farang... but up to now survived on the roads around the world both on four wheels and two... (arguments about which side of the road are neither here or there really) UK drives on left stemming going back to when most on highways rode horses and the rider could draw his sword to defend/attack with his right hand across the body whilst riding to an opponent on the right coming towards him, rest of the world I couldn't really give a $ hit about on that fact

I don't know..it also looks like the biker had plenty of time to see the truck plodding across...it wasn't like the truck was speeding either...and still would have been right to stop to check on the biker too...to me, they are both idiots for ASSUMING the other was going to give way

On 4/9/2017 at 5:03 PM, Lokie said:

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

8 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Err, no it didn't generate into blaming the scooter rider, it seems most blame the pick up..., Is like saying I have a right to stop at this junction on the highway in Thailand and I will coz thats the law, if I am splattered by some loon who runs me down then I was in the right but dead anyway and he was not???

Behave, see - C O M M M O N SENSE!!! Yes at that junction there is probably a stop sign (Yield) but pick up started his manoeuvre first (does it say in Thai law at what speed crossing a road must be carried out? I don't think so) at end of day both the pick up and scooter were not exactly displaying due care and attention (at what point does the scooter rider take evasive action in your thory then DD?? how far to prove a point lol???

Hey its Thailand so will be a t o$$ up whether they have even got a licence to ride /drive (for what its worth competence wise) as said only my slant on what I observed from video but the scooter was away with the fairies for not slowing to allow the pick up to complete his crossing and he paid for it, way to to prove a point then ehh? All I know is if I was driving the pick up or riding the scooter then would have been no accident but then I do not possess Thai logic. I am just a stupid farang... but up to now survived on the roads around the world both on four wheels and two... (arguments about which side of the road are neither here or there really) UK drives on left stemming going back to when most on highways rode horses and the rider could draw his sword to defend/attack with his right hand across the body whilst riding to an opponent on the right coming towards him, rest of the world I couldn't really give a $ hit about on that fact

Thank you for your rambling post that again ended up blaming the scooter driver.

Edit - If you care to respond sensibly (which I suspect you don't...), then read the entirety of my post plus other posts that have pointed out why the scooter driver's reaction is understandable.

Edited by dick dasterdly

22 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Sounds like you have totally bought into the Thai mentality of, forget road rules, my own perceived common sense has it that my vehicle is bigger than yours so up to you to get out of my way. 

1 minute ago, Tilacme said:

Sounds like you have totally bought into the Thai mentality of, forget road rules, my own perceived common sense has it that my vehicle is bigger than yours so up to you to get out of my way. 

Exactly opposite to my post? I am saying use common sense and defensive techniques to avoid accidents here as it is so dangerous and others seem to have the bigger than yours agenda or the selfish me me me attitude on the roads in LOS, the rules would be good if people abided by them and the Police applied them, do they do that?

I have bought into protect - self preservation, I was trying to say it does not really matter what the rule is, if a vehicle is cutting across your path then let it go and slow then pass safely, yes it may be breaking the rules of the highway here but is that worth dying for?

27 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Thank you for your rambling post that again ended up blaming the scooter driver.

Edit - If you care to respond sensibly (which I suspect you don't...), then read the entirety of my post plus other posts that have pointed out why the scooter driver's reaction is understandable.

Hey DD you dont have to get personal accusing me of rambling and responding sensibly 'which you suspect I don't' bit condescending really mate don't you thisnk - nor use other posts to encourage support for your argument. 

You apply the thai rules by the book and hopefully don't have any accidents out there...

23 hours ago, Lokie said:

Exactly opposite to my post? I am saying use common sense and defensive techniques to avoid accidents here as it is so dangerous and others seem to have the bigger than yours agenda or the selfish me me me attitude on the roads in LOS, the rules would be good if people abided by them and the Police applied them, do they do that?

I have bought into protect - self preservation, I was trying to say it does not really matter what the rule is, if a vehicle is cutting across your path then let it go and slow then pass safely, yes it may be breaking the rules of the highway here but is that worth dying for?

Some people can't tell the difference between pragmatic and right.

This short story highlights it really well: https://marco.org/2012/02/25/right-vs-pragmatic

16 hours ago, oldgent said:

I agree with Lokie 100% .without all the shit you have posted, How would you describe the situation,

and give your opinion on it.

I also agree 100% with lokie. He is the pragmatic one. The guy lokie is arguing with is right. But its better to be pragmatic than right. 

Relax my friend.

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:36 AM, Lokie said:

So your point is,, despite being in the right by all the rules of the road, the MC  is some how complicit in his own misfortune for not driving in the way you think you have been taught in your own country. 

Just now, Tilacme said:

So your point is,, despite being in the right by all the rules of the road, the MC  is some how complicit in his own misfortune for not driving in the way you think you have been taught in your own country. 

I wouldn't bother.  The 'bike rider is always to blame in the eyes of more than a few posters for incorrectly reading the mind of someone in a car.

In this case, the 'bike rider failed to realise that the pickup wasn't (initially) driving slowly for the obvious reason - it was the 'bike rider's right of way.....  Instead, the pickup then increased speed when it was too late for the 'bike rider to slow down/stop.

Riding a scooter I have to make these decisions numerous times every trip....  Is the other vehicle waiting for me to go by (bearing in mind I have right of way)/is he going to get annoyed if I slow down - and consequently pull out at the last moment/is the driver going to pull out regardless, therefore a good idea to slow down and drive behind him? :sad:

44 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I wouldn't bother.  The 'bike rider is always to blame in the eyes of more than a few posters for incorrectly reading the mind of someone in a car.

In this case, the 'bike rider failed to realise that the pickup wasn't (initially) driving slowly for the obvious reason - it was the 'bike rider's right of way.....  Instead, the pickup then increased speed when it was too late for the 'bike rider to slow down/stop.

Riding a scooter I have to make these decisions numerous times every trip....  Is the other vehicle waiting for me to go by (bearing in mind I have right of way)/is he going to get annoyed if I slow down - and consequently pull out at the last moment/is the driver going to pull out regardless, therefore a good idea to slow down and drive behind him? :sad:

DD, all I am saying is yes observe the rules of the road in what ever country you are in but ultimately be prepared to stop or give way whether you are in the right or not to preserve your self being. In this case the scooter rider did not seem to do anything to help prevent the accident, is nothing to do with blame in my book (BTW I am a lifelong biker so would side normally with the bike, however on this occasion I feel he was the one in the wrong, I know you and others disagree with this but hey thats my take on it, you guys can have yours no worries)

If you ride here in LOS then everyday you have to give way to idiots doing odd ball manoeuvres thats how it is (think we all agree on that)

Anyway I hope the rider was not too badly injured, although looking at the speed he went off and the bits flying into shot from impact I fear the worse

Assume springs to mind - and what does that make out of us? (not directed at you but is a true saying...) 

Regards

50 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Agreed on all counts, but I shudder when I see the self righteous attributing blame on the innocent.

1 hour ago, Tilacme said:

Tilacme,

Hobz post which you have liked, sums it up perfectly... have another look at it, take your time.., then see if you come up with a different slant on things?

On 4/9/2017 at 5:03 PM, Lokie said:

8 minutes ago, Lokie said:

DD, all I am saying is yes observe the rules of the road in what ever country you are in but ultimately be prepared to stop or give way whether you are in the right or not to preserve your self being. In this case the scooter rider did not seem to do anything to help prevent the accident, is nothing to do with blame in my book (BTW I am a lifelong biker so would side normally with the bike, however on this occasion I feel he was the one in the wrong, I know you and others disagree with this but hey thats my take on it, you guys can have yours no worries)

If you ride here in LOS then everyday you have to give way to idiots doing odd ball manoeuvres thats how it is (think we all agree on that)

Anyway I hope the rider was not too badly injured, although looking at the speed he went off and the bits flying into shot from impact I fear the worse

Assume springs to mind - and what does that make out of us? (not directed at you but is a true saying...) 

Regards

"DD, all I am saying is yes observe the rules of the road in what ever country you are in but ultimately be prepared to stop or give way whether you are in the right or not to preserve your self being."

A touch contradictory to your earlier post where you were clearly blaming the scooter driver.

"My pennies worth is the pick up started across the main rd well before the bike was near the junction, bike had plenty of time to slow to allow passage of pick up".