Junta leader’s absolute power remains under new charter, CDC chairman confirms

snoop1130

Junta leader’s absolute power remains under new charter, CDC chairman confirms

By The Nation

29ae6c7b409747cfdf40a4ff6b701801.jpeg

Constitution Drafting Commission chairman Meechai Ruchuphan on Friday said the interim charter’s Article 44 would remain in force but needs to be more cautiously implemented so that it does not go against the recently promulgated permanent constitution.

Although the constitution was promulgated on Thursday, making the post-coup interim charter defunct, the new document’s Article 265 equips the military’s ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) with the same powers granted by the interim charter.

This includes the famous Article 44, which grants the junta leader absolute power.

Meechai’s view echoed those of other veteran legal experts including Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam, who earlier said Article 44 would remain in place under new charter’s Article 265.

The fresh charter was approved in a referendum last August. It was amended after His Majesty the King’s observations, before being promulgated this week.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311673

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-4-7

So is that a constitution or a junta toilet paper ? Thailand is becoming Myanmar and Myanmar Thailand.
Article 44 doesn't have to used in a real democracy.

Nothing new here, the army has been in power for decades, where have you been...

Sent from my iPad

His power remains under the charter?  That is  utterly ridiculous.  By definition a coup leader will take whatever power he wants, and he did that when he took over and threw out the existing charter or constitution or whatever it was called back then.  If the people and the agencies are not willing to backup and sustain a constitution then the document and the ideas behind it are meaningless

4 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

on the bright side there shouldn't be any more annoying coups. no need for them. i had one thai friend say that she though democracy does not really work in thailand. makes me wonder what system would work better.

I hear Kim Jong-un says the same thing about North Korea

Truth  is Democracy works where everyone does their part

But in Thailand you have no real patriots willing to fight for freedom

Even when they had a basically controlled from above democracy certain factions (& I do not mean the Yellows or the Reds)

worked to undermine the standing elected officials by refusing to do their job .....here I mean Military & Police

Truth is during any elected governments term the military & police is to back them up ...which in turn is backing up/serving the country of Thailand

as they are sworn to do.

Instead when the Yellows or Reds took over airports or overran government buildings the cops & more importantly the Military

stood down & let it happen so later they could step in & claim ...well you kids cannot handle freedom so we are now in charge

In any modern country that military would have been hung for treason as it was the

country itself under attack when the government building were being overrun & folks being denied a vote

This is my opinion & will most likely be deleted soon

as this forum runs much like the country itself

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

This includes the famous Article 44, which grants the junta leader absolute power.

Such a law is a total failure of a society.  The Thai Government will be looked down upon from this point, and the Thai people pitied.      Sadly, there are many good examples of countries moving towards public participation that Thailand has chosen not to emulate.  One feels more freedom in China than in today's Thailand.

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

The public has not approved the new constitution, they voted for an interim something which has been continually changed since. The vote was a farce.

Didnt really matter anyway. If the people did really vote for it, or didnt, Prayuth would have used his 44 power anyway.

The vote was just another of the juntas smoke and mirror shows.

Any charter, constitution formed by this regime is not legal in any way as it was formed by a non elected govt, and to say it was approved in a public referendum is nonsense. I have not yet met a Thai who voted for it or even knew there was vote or where to go and what's more had no clue what it contained. As public gatherings are banned it could not even be discussed in open and in public meetings in a democratic way.

I've lived in "democratic" countries and in "junta rules countries" and haven't really seen any difference..The rich and powerful rule, the banks pretty much dictate the economy, organized crime controls illicits activities, corruption scandals involving politicians and police etc...Strangely enough, i feel more free in junta ruled Thailand than i do in democratic Canada...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

31 minutes ago, Miaow said:

I've lived in "democratic" countries and in "junta rules countries" and haven't really seen any difference..The rich and powerful rule, the banks pretty much dictate the economy, organized crime controls illicits activities, corruption scandals involving politicians and police etc...Strangely enough, i feel more free in junta ruled Thailand than i do in democratic Canada...

Which just goes to show how naive some people can be.

43 minutes ago, Miaow said:

I believed Canada have free election, free expression and free to assemble. How's that you feel more free in junta Thailand when none of these exist and those who cross those lines face jail time. I think you meant North Korea, not Canada and I will agree with you. 

I believed Canada have free election, free expression and free to assemble. How's that you feel more free in junta Thailand when none of these exist and those who cross those lines face jail time. I think you meant North Korea, not Canada and I will agree with you. 

The government i voted for didnt get elected, free expression is overated, i never complain about the government anyways, and certainly never participate in protests...I rather enjoy my freedom...[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, Miaow said:

The government i voted for didnt get elected, free expression is overated, i never complain about the government anyways, and certainly never participate in protests...I rather enjoy my freedom...emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Then Thailand under Junta rule is perfect for you. To each his own. :saai:

4 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

The public has not approved the new constitution, they voted for an interim something which has been continually changed since. The vote was a farce.

The public wrote/voted the government a blank check to be filled in later. Give Meechia another medal for this one if you can find room.  

Its funny well not really how a group of old aging politicians can lock in future generations of vibrant young people who want to be the masters of their own future into an old antiquated system that has been rehashed some 19 or 20 times with little success. Yes I guess its time for AI we are not doing so well. 

7 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

on the bright side there shouldnt be any more annoying coups. no need for them. i had one thai friend say that she though democracy does not really work in thailand. makes me wonder what system would work better.

How does she know that? It's never been given the chance, some big bully with a gun always steps in and takes it.