Advantages & disadvantages changing retirement to Thai Wife

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then the one year extension unless you have gotten one on the entry you are on now.

This would have been my 3rd yearly extension, would a 60 day extension be ok as i thought the funds had to be in for 3 months and my extension expires 11th May.

2 minutes ago, DougSunee said:

This would have been my 3rd yearly extension, would a 60 day extension be ok as i thought the funds had to be in for 3 months and my extension expires 11th May.

The money only has to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply for the extension. The 3 months rule is only for extensions based upon retirement.

Unfortunately the money is still in my UK bank so it will still be a run to Savannakhet and start all over again. Never mind we have been needing an excuse to get away and see some friends on the road to the border. 

Thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The money only has to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply for the extension. The 3 months rule is only for extensions based upon retirement.

Unfortunately the money is still in my UK bank so it will still be a run to Savannakhet and start all over again. Never mind we have been needing an excuse to get away and see some friends on the road to the border. 

On 4/10/2017 at 6:26 PM, ubonjoe said:

The big advantage of the extension based upon is the lower financial requirements. Only 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or 40k baht income.

You can also get a work permit and work with an extension based upon marriage.

A few extra documents, and photos needed for the application based upon marriage. Having to go back to get the extension stamp after 30 days. For most people those are the only complaints most people have.

I am on my 9th extension based upon marriage and cannot see any advantage in changing to an extension based upon retirement.

Here is my general list that can vary by office. Marriage Extension Requirements.pdf

Thanks for the information on retirement vs marriage extension. If you've done the marriage extension 9 times, is there any reason why you haven't applied for permanent residency? I've never managed the extension even once as the local office requirements in Samut Prakan keep changing so haven't bothered with it.

17 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

Thanks for the information on retirement vs marriage extension. If you've done the marriage extension 9 times, is there any reason why you haven't applied for permanent residency? I've never managed the extension even once as the local office requirements in Samut Prakan keep changing so haven't bothered with it.

I cannot apply for permanent residency because I am not working here.

How can they keep changing? There is only so much they can ask for.

Hi ubonjoe,

A question for you, I am currently on retirement extension valid until 16 Sept 2017 and wish to change over to a marriage extension. I am a resident of Nonthaburi and use the Nonthaburi Immigration office for renewals and 90 day checks,when would you suggest that I lodge my marriage extension application at Nonthaburi or do I need to do this at Chang Wattana ?? I have been married to my Thai wife for past 16 years. Thanks Joe for your kind response!!!

9 minutes ago, gkroo said:

Hi ubonjoe,

A question for you, I am currently on retirement extension valid until 16 Sept 2017 and wish to change over to a marriage extension. I am a resident of Nonthaburi and use the Nonthaburi Immigration office for renewals and 90 day checks,when would you suggest that I lodge my marriage extension application at Nonthaburi or do I need to do this at Chang Wattana ?? I have been married to my Thai wife for past 16 years. Thanks Joe for your kind response!!!

You would apply for the extension based upon marriage up to 30 days before September 16th at Nonthaburi immigration.

Just be sure you don't show enough money in the bank or income to get a retirement extension.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2017 at 1:33 PM, DougSunee said:

Joe got a bit of luck and there was someone coming who brought the cash. A quick visit Chiang Mai imegration 30 mins saw me with my 60 day extension. Thanks again and also CMI good service by them.