Immigration officer refused entry at Bangkok Airport

Hi folks,

One of my uncle travelling with 4 of his friends, all Indian Nationals, were recently refused entry at the airport to Thailand who had arrived on a 5 day vacation to Bangkok and Pattaya. They already had Visa done from India and everything in place like hotel bookings, return ticket and required money. Not sure why this was done. They were questioned and then sent back the same day on a new flight. Can anyone help to identify why this was done. 

Also, the passport has been stamped "Immigration sent". Does that mean they will never be able to visit Thailand again.

Will this stamp affect his tours to other countries as well? 

Kindly help.

Thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, SVS1 said:

Also, the passport has been stamped "Immigration sent".

That may be an error in translation since the denial of entry stamp is in Thai. Not sure what that would mean.

It hard to say why they were denied entry without more info.  It is possible be they were flagged prior to entering the country.

I don't think they will have problems traveling elsewhere. For here it would depend upon the reason for denial of entry. 

Problem was that none of them were speaking English. The immigration officers just didnot approve of their holiday despite showing all the proofs. Language being a problem, not sure on what grounds were they refused entry. All in all, their holiday plans were ruined and had to return back, money lost and a great deal of efforts.

There is a stamp in Thai language which obviously is not understood, but along with that there is another stamp. I have attached the image herewith.

Is there a way we can take any action against this? It was totally unjustified and a major harassment for genuine tourist people.

Thanks.

Thai_Visa_Stamp.jpg

I am learning thai right now and may can help. The stamps says that "No money" ไมมีเงิน.... Immigration probably asked for enough financial proof. They only ask this when you have already multiple Thai visits in your passport. The big question is when was your uncle last time in Thailand and how long was he in Thailand?

He got refused because he did not show financial proof that he was able to qualify as tourist. Its indeed very strange if they really had hotel bookings and a return ticket with them.

Please keep in mind that I am still learning Thai and I maybe misunderstand it.

Edited by SoFarAndNear
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, SVS1 said:

Please see image attached herewith. Translation of the message would indeed be a good thing to know.

That is the standard denial of entry stamp that shows the reasons under section 12 of the immigration act.

2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom.

9. Having no money or bond as prescribed by the Minister under him

They apparently did not have the required financial proof needed to enter the country. That is normally the equivalent of  20k baht in cash.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for the translation. Will this stamp mean that they cannot enter Thailand ever again?

Obviously, all said and done, no one can revert back what has happened. But indeed a very unpleasant experience. This was their first ever visit as an international tour and it was ruined by some petty officers.

Anyways thanks for all your help. Appreciate.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No it does not.

But if noticed it could make it more difficult.

On subsequent entries, it surely will be noticed (even if entering with a new passport). I am pretty sure a formal denial of entry is recorded in immigration's system. This is an odd event. People with pre-booked hotels and a clear 5-day itinerary on their first visits to Thailand with valid visas are not commonly blocked from entering. I would say it is almost unprecedented. I am actually wondering if one of the other people in the same party had a prior history that led to problems for the whole group.

It was the most unfortunate thing to happen. Believe it or not, all of them had issued their passports for the first time in their life and had arranged for money since a long time just to do their first international trip. No one had any history of international travel before, let alone any history in Thailand.

It is just unfair to genuine people who are harassed at Bangkok airport.

Anyways, I'd like to thank everyone for their valuable replies. Atleast I got an idea of the whole issue.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing to note. They flew on Air Asia (thus into Don Muang). While still very surprising, it is a little less surprising that an anomalous decision would be made there than at Suvarnabhumi. Overall, though, I am at a loss to explain this one.

• 3 months later...
On 4/10/2017 at 6:36 PM, ubonjoe said:

That may be an error in translation since the denial of entry stamp is in Thai. Not sure what that would mean.

It hard to say why they were denied entry without more info.  It is possible be they were flagged prior to entering the country.

I don't think they will have problems traveling elsewhere. For here it would depend upon the reason for denial of entry. 

The obvious follow-up question ,how do they determine what that reason really was?

On 4/11/2017 at 6:26 PM, ubonjoe said:

That is the standard denial of entry stamp that shows the reasons under section 12 of the immigration act.

2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom.

9. Having no money or bond as prescribed by the Minister under him

They apparently did not have the required financial proof needed to enter the country. That is normally the equivalent of  20k baht in cash.

UBJ; aren't there different thresholds for individual versus family?

I'd like to ask and double check with OP if hotel bookings and money were in corrrect supply on a per person basis?

i.e. 20.000 baht per person and max. 1-2 persons per hotel room in accordance with the hotels' room occupancy policy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

The obvious follow-up question ,how do they determine what that reason really was?

That was answered in the 2nd post you quoted. Or a check of their immigration records could reveal if their were other reasons for denial of entry.

12 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

UBJ; aren't there different thresholds for individual versus family?

It is same per person. Four family member would be 80k baht unless they were children under 12.

6 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

How much money in cash did your uncle have?

You need to look at the date this topic was done before posting. It was on April 10th and the OP has not visited since April 27th.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to look at the date this topic was done before posting. It was on April 10th and the OP has not visited since April 27th.

Ok thanks then...guess in that case the issue will remain a big mystery for my humble person!!

Officer A2666 did the departure stamp.  Is there an arrival stamp ?  each stamp has a number wich belongs to the officer on Duty...ask immigration direct.  Language will be not the reason.

A few times I have witnessed indian groups spreading out in the lines, awaiting one of them moving quicker, and then gathering where one of the group holds a place. This is not a good way. On 2 occaitions, I have seen officers taking the whole "bunch" of these, and move them out of the lines and into offices. Which I think is a good reaction.

Maybe this is the case? I wouldn't be surpriced. And then the money issue comes up as an excuse....

• Like 1

I don't understand where you say it was their first ever visit to Thailand, and were turned away just recently.  However the Immigration stamp is dated 22 December 2016.

1 hour ago, masuk said:

I don't understand where you say it was their first ever visit to Thailand, and were turned away just recently.  However the Immigration stamp is dated 22 December 2016.

Good grief. The issue was raised many months ago,  but  people are still responding as the months pass. (I believe this is because it is a highlight post. That's how I  came here.)

It is actually a relevant post because of the renewed emphasis upon the  minimum financial requirement for visitors. I don't doubt for a minute that the  immigration officers acted appropriately, because the Indian visitors arrived without inadequate funds. It is doubtful that these were financially stable visitors, arriving on 15,000 baht fares aboard Air Asia, and I expect they would have pooled their funds. The approach of the IO is  discussed  in length on other threads that discussed the  financial requirements. 

I believe it prudent for foreign visitors of certain demographics, i.e. older people flying on with Jetstar, or Air Asia or people who have unkempt appearances to have the money. I doubt anyone flying in  First Class will be asked.