Dsl Question

sbk

We do have the standard filter on it. Didn't make a difference with or without.

Our main problem is a few km of streetlights that come on about 5:55 pm every evening, they are on the same poles as the phone lines and right at phone line level. :o I guess our signal is just not strong enough to beat the street lights.

How much would a remote cabinet run? Ie if we could get enough neighbors willing to sign up for DSL they might go for it. Just have to see how many neighbors it would take!

Well, I did a google search for remote dslam cabinets and found this article which pretty much answers the above question :D :

A remote DSLAM can be an expensive solution. Because the remote DSLAM is external to existing DLC cabinets, installation requires that the network-access provider obtain a right of way, pour concrete for a pad, install the cabinet, power the electronics, and deploy wiring to and from the existing DLC. As a result, the initial investment in both time and money is quite significant. Although this investment can easily be amortized over a large number of subscribers, the fact that ADSL is in its infancy means that initial take rates typically cannot cost justify this level of expense. Furthermore, in small-line-size DLC environments where the potential number of subscribers is limited, a remote DSLAM may never be cost justified.

We do have the standard filter on it. Didn't make a difference with or without.

Our main problem is a few km of streetlights that come on about 5:55 pm every evening, they are on the same poles as the phone lines and right at phone line level. :o I guess our signal is just not strong enough to beat the street lights.

How much would a remote cabinet run? Ie if we could get enough neighbors willing to sign up for DSL they might go for it. Just have to see how many neighbors it would take!

Well, I did a google search for remote dslam cabinets and found this article which pretty much answers the above question :D :

A remote DSLAM can be an expensive solution. Because the remote DSLAM is external to existing DLC cabinets, installation requires that the network-access provider obtain a right of way, pour concrete for a pad, install the cabinet, power the electronics, and deploy wiring to and from the existing DLC. As a result, the initial investment in both time and money is quite significant. Although this investment can easily be amortized over a large number of subscribers, the fact that ADSL is in its infancy means that initial take rates typically cannot cost justify this level of expense. Furthermore, in small-line-size DLC environments where the potential number of subscribers is limited, a remote DSLAM may never be cost justified.

Try to reset the adsl modem after 6pm when the lights have come on.

The modem will then be retrained to deal with the new interferance , you will get a lower maximum speed but with hopefully fewer retransmissions the speed that you experience can be faster.

These are some of the reasons given by my ISP for the slow speed of my connection.

- Quality of copper wire.

- Cable distance from your house to the nearest Telekom's Exchange (best at

less than 5 km).

- Weather (rainy, heavy storm).

- Electromagnetic effects especially during night time as you are using

power source. (electricity) at the most. Kindly put your modem away from

any electrical equipments (television, radio, fax machine, refrigerator,

air-conditioner, florescent lamp) or high frequency equipments (microwave,

cordless phone, mobile phone).

- Computer performance (hard drive capacity, processor, RAM, multi tasking

activities).

- Internet traffic (line congestion especially for online gaming and P2P

activities).

Food for thought.

Walk along the cable from your house and check for joins.

Several years ago I was having trouble with my dialup connection.

A new cable run within the house direct to the modem, using the thickest phone cable I could obtain, worked wonders.

Good luck for 2550.