Can I get a Non B visa but first enter on a visa on arrival?

I begin work in Thailand around June and I have all the necessary documents to get a Non B from the Thai Embassy in the U.S. But I want to enter Thailand earlier and do a month of traveling and recreation before I begin my work. Thus, I wanted to know if I can get my Non B visa from the embassy but have it so that I can use it later? Perhaps June 1. Before then, I would like to leave for Thailand in less than two weeks and spend a month or two there on a visa on arrival. 

Is this possible? If so, how can I go about doing this? If not, what are my options? Thank you!

U.S. citizen here.

You don't qualify for a 15 day visa on arrival since your are apparently from the US. You would get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

You would stand a 50/50 or less chance of being able to get visa exempt entry instead of your non-b visa being used for entry. It is up to the officer when you enter the country. You could leave the space for the visa number on the arrival card blank and see what the officer does.

If your non-b visa was used for entry you could get a single re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry from it valid when you re-enter the country.

• Like 1

Question, it says on the thai oregon consulate that the fee for tourist visa is waived, but the site also says i Have to pay $40. Which is it?

Lastly, is it possible to obtain two visas from the consulate? One tourist visa for a 60 day stay that is used in April, and a Non-B visa that will be used later on in May? Because then that would be less of a dice roll

6 hours ago, yzak said:

Awesome, that sounds like a good idea. Thanks ubonjoe! can you tell me more about how I can get a re-entry permit? I will be in the north of thailand, near chiang rai.

The fee for a single entry permit is 1000 baht. You need a completed TM8 application form with a 4 X 6 cm photo attached and copies of your passport pages and departure card.

You can get the re-entry permit at the immigration office in Chiang Rai city or at Mae Sai.

5 hours ago, yzak said:

Question, it says on the thai oregon consulate that the fee for tourist visa is waived, but the site also says i Have to pay $40. Which is it?

Lastly, is it possible to obtain two visas from the consulate? One tourist visa for a 60 day stay that is used in April, and a Non-B visa that will be used later on in May? Because then that would be less of a dice roll

Tourist visas are no longer free for those from the US since the 1st of March.

The will not issue 2 visas. You can only have one valid visa in your passport.

• Like 1