Change of school and location possible for ED Visa?

Hi there,

You guys always help me out when I dont know whats next, I hope you can suggest something here as well :) I appreciate all the help, thanks in advance.

So I got my ED Visa at a school in Pattaya at the beginning of February, went to Laos and came back as usual.

I will have to get my stay extended again on May 2 which is no problem. I have been for holidays in Phuket and would rather want to stay here, just more my thing.

My question now is, is it possible to change my location to Phuket and still keep my current ED Visa? I am aware of having to pay again at the new school, but thats ok.

I know its not a huge issue to do so in the same city, but what is if I would like to move?

Thank you in advance

Not sure how this is getting this topic in any way forward, but I have had quite a few ED visas already, so lets say visa hunting :)

I do not work here and dont have to, I am 32 years old now and lucky enough to have a good amount of money to stay here for at least 20 more years.

You likely will have to go out for another ED visa to change provinces and  schools.

If your current permit to stay ends on May 2nd and did not have to get another non-ed the paperwork to do an extension would likely not be ready yet.

Hi Ubonjoe,

Thank you for the quick reply,

Yes right, May 2nd is the date I have to show up again at Jomtien immigration.

That would be the 1st extension for the 1 year stay, unfortunate that I just got the visa.

I know they now write the name of the school in Laos on the Non-ED, already thought this might be a problem.

Really dont want to do that trip again hahaha, so I would have to think about it first.

59 minutes ago, Binding2003 said:

Not sure how this is getting this topic in any way forward, but I have had quite a few ED visas already, so lets say visa hunting :)

I do not work here and dont have to, I am 32 years old now and lucky enough to have a good amount of money to stay here for at least 20 more years.

Since you have said visa hunting and that you have the funds for 20 + years, maybe worth while you looking into Thailand elite visa, 20 years for 1000000 baht

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doiger said:

Since you have said visa hunting and that you have the funds for 20 + years, maybe worth while you looking into Thailand elite visa, 20 years for 1000000 baht

I think that's the way to go! He won't be breaking any Thai Laws and he can play golf in Bangkok for free.

Edited by tomwct

2 hours ago, tomwct said:

I think that's the way to go! He won't be breaking any Thai Laws and he can play golf in Bangkok for free.

He's not breaking any laws now.  Also consider the 1-year renewable permission of stay based on Investment  - you don't have to part with any of your money on a temporary visa - just put 10M Baht in Thai banks (I'd split it among a few), get paid interest on your money, and renew annually forever. 

You can also invest in new-condos and other things to qualify - but given how Immigration is treating Westerners, I am not sure those would be good investments right now. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Doiger said:

Since it also seems that he changes his mind fairly easily,  maybe better that he go the Ed Visa or Tourist Visa route for awhile to see if he wants to stay here for a few years, let alone 20. Thai Elite Visa might be a bit costly if he decides after six months that studying either kangaroos in Australia or Buddhism in Nepal is more his thing.

14 hours ago, Binding2003 said:

I have been for holidays in Phuket and would rather want to stay here, just more my thing.

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

He's not breaking any laws now.  Also consider the 1-year renewable permission of stay based on Investment  - you don't have to part with any of your money on a temporary visa - just put 10M Baht in Thai banks (I'd split it among a few), get paid interest on your money, and renew annually forever. 

You can also invest in new-condos and other things to qualify - but given how Immigration is treating Westerners, I am not sure those would be good investments right now. 

For somebody with all this advice and throwing this 10m Baht around at the drop of a hat every 5 minutes, I am surprised your not taking your own advice and doing it yourself rather than living here on Tourist visas and complaining how unfair the system is?
You must have a spare 10m knocking around as you keep telling us all that if we can afford to spend 500,000 baht on a TE visa we must have 10m?

• Like 1

Its true, the Elite visa is a good option and was considering that one as well.

I havent had any troubles with the ED Visa though and like to go to school, its a good way to get to know people in the area and in your age and you automatically get a Visa for that.

Everyone wants to go the cheapest route and without much hassle thats currently the ED Visa, but after all those years its getting more complicated.

I would switch to the Elite visa as soon as its not worth going for an ED Visa, maybe soon :)

Maybe I should just marry the girlfriend lol, maybe its time after 6 years :D

• Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 11:17 PM, Lovethailandelite said:

For somebody with all this advice and throwing this 10m Baht around at the drop of a hat every 5 minutes, I am surprised your not taking your own advice and doing it yourself rather than living here on Tourist visas and complaining how unfair the system is?
You must have a spare 10m knocking around as you keep telling us all that if we can afford to spend 500,000 baht on a TE visa we must have 10m?

I am not in the Elite category by any stretch.  I cannot afford the investment to obtain an stay for investment, so likewise cannot afford to "buy" an Elite visa.  For those who are Elite - anyone who can "spend" 500K or 1M Baht on a visa - they certainly have the capital to move 10M into a bank-account, no?  Granted, some are probably spending money they should be holding on to for a rainy day - some people are risk-takers. 

My only complaint is unwritten rules enforced at random.  If the authorities wish to publish more strict rules, then at least we will know where we stand.  Maybe I would have to leave retirement and take a Thai's job to obtain a "B" Visa for a year, until I turn 50 - which would be unfortunate for both me and the Thai.