Who’s in the wrong? Overtaking motorbike crashes into traffic cop who cuts across lane

1 minute ago, bangkokbanjo said:

Funny, im in the minority here as i feel the couple on the motorcycle is wrong. They are literally on the wrong side of the road. The police officer was making a right turn from the driveway, andcsafely managed to get to the middle of the road. He looked in the direct that traffic should be coming from, only to be hit by the motorcycle going the wrong way. Its like crossing acone way street and being hit by a car going the wrong way.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes but your post now can generate new discussions and more viewpoints,opinions and convincing eachother etc etc thats Exactly what u want?

Both drivers are in the wrong. Motorcycle rider was going too fast and on the wrong side of the road. The Cop did not look in his direction as he was not expecting anyone to be on the wrong side of the road to be coming in his direction. The motorcycle rider should get the higher penalty for being stupid and speeding.

Both drivers in the wrong but both performing quite normal manoeuvres for Thailand. The police rider crossing a slow moving double line of traffic to effectively make a right turn and the other rider  passing the slow moving double line of traffic on the correct side.  Where they both went wrong is in failing to realise that they would both have performed the same action as the other rider had their positions being reversed and therefore should have been anticipating and watching out for it. 

4 minutes ago, gmac said:

Both drivers in the wrong but both performing quite normal manoeuvres for Thailand. The police rider crossing a slow moving double line of traffic to effectively make a right turn and the other rider  passing the slow moving double line of traffic on the correct side.  Where they both went wrong is in failing to realise that they would both have performed the same action as the other rider had their positions being reversed and therefore should have been anticipating and watching out for it. 

The other rider was not on the correct side. He was travelling in the wrong direction for the side of the road he was on. Still not a big sin but when you do that you have to keep very alert and not go too fast.

3 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

The other rider was not on the correct side. He was travelling in the wrong direction for the side of the road he was on. Still not a big sin but when you do that you have to keep very alert and not go too fast.

The correct side to overtake is the right side and crossing a broken white line to achieve it is perfectly legal.  A car would have to cross the white line to overtake so does the bike in this instance.

Edited by gmac

4 minutes ago, gmac said:

The correct side to overtake is the right side and crossing a broken white line to achieve it is perfectly legal.  A car would have to cross the white line to overtake so does the bike in this instance.

Never said it was illegal. Go back to playschool and learn to read properly.

1 minute ago, lungnorm said:

Never said it was illegal. Go back to playschool and learn to read properly.

Perhaps I should have said normal rather than legal.  No need for insults.

25 minutes ago, gmac said:

Perhaps I should have said normal rather than legal.  No need for insults.

When you insinuate someone is wrong or incorrect and they are not incorrect, that in itself is a bloody insult. DOH

Edited by lungnorm
spelling

On 4/18/2017 at 10:23 AM, z42 said:

Both at fault but what the cop was doing was actually inexplicible. He was actually cutting against flow and directly in front of cars going the correct way.

At least the bike was going the right direction and not crossing solid lines when overtaking (but definitely going too fast for the road conditions)

..he was quite entitled to overtake as there was no oncoming traffic at that time..the police man didn't look to his right before entering the lanes.

The road conditions were good, clear visibility, dry surface etc..but he was driving far to fast agreed...he leaned to the right to go around the policeman however the policeman hadn't seen him..if he had then it would have been  a near miss,.,fortunately there was no approaching vehicle.

Edited by tandor

12 hours ago, biplanebluey said:

NO---- obviously the other guy----TIT and cops do no wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the cop was stupid, but not in the wrong.

1) He hasn't been in Thailand very long, should know to check 360 points of the compass, plus overhead, plus under, plus, plus plus - then check again -

2) helmet, but as so many, no chinstrap - worse than useless! Accidents are CAUSED when loose helmets fly off - & when riders put them on, riding one handed, as they approach intersections where the know cops are - then take them off again after.

Biker was riding too fast. Nearly lost my car this way on pattaya dai a couple of weeks ago - traffic was chok a block, but it moved to give me room to come from a side soi, & turn right. No traffic heading west, so slowly moved into the west lane - then a screech as a car speeding east in the west bound lanes, trying to catch the green light,  locked up trying to avoid crashing into me. Would have been a big impact -

Just driving too fast for the situation.

The policeman is one hundred percent in the right, a Thai policeman will always be one hundred percent correct, but give the policeman his due he appears to admit he was in the wrong because he did help the other motorcyclist and not automatically pull out the old 'cash making' notebook.

5 hours ago, lungnorm said:

Both drivers are in the wrong. Motorcycle rider was going too fast and on the wrong side of the road. The Cop did not look in his direction as he was not expecting anyone to be on the wrong side of the road to be coming in his direction. The motorcycle rider should get the higher penalty for being stupid and speeding.

What speed was the motorcycle doing? Breaking the speed restrictions was he? I could not read his speedometer.

Stupid maybe but speeding? :whistling:

2 hours ago, lvr181 said:

What speed was the motorcycle doing? Breaking the speed restrictions was he? I could not read his speedometer.

Stupid maybe but speeding? :whistling:

Guesswork is compulsory on here, it keeps things simmering along nicely

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 1:16 AM, bangkokbanjo said:

Funny, im in the minority here as i feel the couple on the motorcycle is wrong. They are literally on the wrong side of the road. The police officer was making a right turn from the driveway, andcsafely managed to get to the middle of the road. He looked in the direct that traffic should be coming from, only to be hit by the motorcycle going the wrong way. Its like crossing acone way street and being hit by a car going the wrong way.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

An ambulance for example could be overtaking on the wrong side of the road or coming the wrong way in a one way street. The policeman has to look in both directions and give way to overtaking vehicles if they are on the main road with right of way. This is what I learned at driving school, but of course not in TH.

Edited by Mak25

On 4/18/2017 at 5:28 AM, o2eZy said:

cop..it is not against the law to overtake but it is against the law to do what the cop did by going against traffic weaving in and out ..did not come from any side road but from a shop 

but on the other hand the overtaking bike was travelling too fast as they usually do 

Exactly. Why is everyone saying both. It's the cop. The couple simply overtook the cars which isn't illegal. 

Exactly. Why is everyone saying both. It's the cop. The couple simply overtook the cars which isn't illegal. 

Disagree. Both are driving unconventionally ie 'against the norm' so should only do so with due care and attention. Bike was driving too fast - dangerous in built up area - what if cop was a kid crossing the road?
Both at fault, more on bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If any vehicles on that road at the time were driven by a farang or included a farang as passenger, then that farang is at fault.  If the farang had never come to Thailand, the vehicles on the road would have been in a different arrangement, so the collision never would have happened. (seriously, I've heard more than one  Thai give this sort of explanation for car accidents in Thailand, with a straight face) :smile: