"Free fitting" as long as you don't want it to work !!

Joinaman

Hi there

anyone else had problems with Mega Home "free fitting" of their air con units

just had 2 indoor/outdoor units fitted by their so called fitters

seems their free fitting does not include wiring them up

fixing any trunking for pipes/ cables

does not include connecting our 3 core cable to the units

does not include any earthing

does not include fixing of wall brackets for outside unit

what they did charge for was

150  but each because the 2 single cables added up to more than 5m for each unit, told they can't use 2 core cable ?

200bht for fixing of trunking ( supplied by us) but no discount for not using clips to fix pipes or cable if not trunked

200 baht for earth wire and rod, even though he cut off the earth from the 3 core cable which is from the main board

100 baht for the fixing of the wall brackets, ( brackets paid for by us)

so my "FREE fitting )" came to an extra 1,450 baht

but no extra charge for not connecting my 3 core with earth into the indoor units, or for cutting off the earths, or for twisting wires together to join to the units

no charge for twisting cables together outside when the cable found to be too short

after complaining to Mega Home who could not see any problem with the charges, they finally agreed to send a different person to put the wiring right

well he took the tape off and put twist caps on !!!

he says he is not allowed to take the mains cable into the units as it would invalidate the warranty on the units, so had to join outside of the units, even though they connect d the short piece of cable to the inside connections

my Thai lady thinks I'm crazy for complaining all the time, she says it's ok, it's works and that's how they do it here, but all I want is someone to tell me the truth when asked, and to do a reasonable and safe job that they are paid to do

Am I wrong ?

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

That's just awful. Which MegaHome was it?

We bought all our aircon from HomePro, Rangsit (before the MegaHome opened at Khlong Luang).

The installation crew was professional and clean although we had to pay extra for long runs of pipe and trunking. They connected to our provided cables and left us the safety-breakers that are part of the installation kit.

this was Nakhon Phanom branch

no long runs of anything

the inside unit is near ceiling level, but the outside unit is directly below , maybe 3m of pipework and cable to each

but, he said 2 single cables, so more than 5 m so must pay extra

Safety breakers ???

never saw a safety breaker, only the ones on my main board, 

when i asked about extra for fitting my trunking, he said more work, but would not explain how he would have fixed the pipes and cables if no trunking

could not get an answer when i asked why not using my earth from the board

one day i will actually find a tradesman to work on my house

even the window fitters had to come back and refix window, only used 3 screws and some acrylic to fix, then cold not understand when i said i wanted it securely fixed

my lady thinks i'm crazy old farang, who expects too much

49 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

my lady thinks i'm crazy old farang, who expects too much

Thai man has low standards but very clever.  Farang just stupid.

According to my ex.

Edited by bankruatsteve

At least you're not the only stupid one. This is not related to power or air but swimming pool floor rebar.

After much searching, I finally found a supplier in Thailand for 45 cm saddles that the pool floor rebar sit on. I felt really good.

So the (now x team) put about 1000 of these chairs on the bottom of the rebar, and then proceeded to stuff around with jacks and Jack it all up. So my chairs were about 20 cm in the air, from the pool floor ground.

Usually I patiently wait to see what magic eventually happens, but some times I have to get everyone together and say STOP.

So I did this, and had the meeting and I still couldn't understand what their plan was (I have my drawn up plans, but they always know better).

So eventually, they could see I wasn't going away and all their explanations were falling on deaf eats, so they told me the put the plastic chairs on the rebar to make me happy, and they weren't going to use them.

So just going to bury a few thousand baht of good chairs in the base concrete to keep me happy.

So we all had a big laugh, I made them take all the chairs off again, lots of merryment, but ho ho ho....they ain't got a job at the moment.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

We bought all our aircon from HomePro, Rangsit (before the MegaHome opened at Khlong Luang).

The installation crew was professional and clean although we had to pay extra for long runs of pipe and trunking. They connected to our provided cables and left us the safety-breakers that are part of the installation kit.

Same here good service from Home pro

I think they were milking the OP a fraction as you should of had a working aircon (which obviously takes 2 wires for starters ) set on the ground outside with a better inside finish up to 5 mtrs in length 

Wall brackets & installation are extra & i also see you didn't opt for the conduit outside ( as i know this can be pricey )

Get use to their wiring as they are completely lazy (not all ) as this is quicker but ok in some peoples views as i just tapped into some wiring the other day & when our aircon man showed us the pictures of his work in the roof he certainly wasn't joking ( I would say a bunch of spiders wired the place & they also would of known what went where )

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Crossy said:

Awful, must be the understatement of the year and you're a sparkie. It really requires prefixing with at least a dozen adjectives. 

I would have been fired or had my contractor licence suspended on the spot for that.

Edit..

But having said that the fitters I have dealt with in Thailand have been great.

You were dealt an embarrassment.

Edited by sipi
others

Well, Mega Home were not much help

said nothing wrong with the extra costs, but still would not explain why i had to pay them

they finally agreed to send some else back to put things right, although right is probably not the right word

another guy turns up, looks at the wiring and agrees, rubbish

then asks me if i have any cable, cos he has none and want to replace the cable from the inside unit and also asked if i had any trunking, <deleted>

give him cable, he cuts a short piece off then proceeds to twist the wires together and fit the twist caps

does this inside and out, tells me he is not allowed to connect my 3 core inside the machine  cos he says it will invalidate the warranty so has to join the wires !!

At lease he's used wire-nuts :smile:

Not sure about aircons, but some kit does come with pre-fitted mains cable which is supposed to be joined without removing the casework, and it may well invalidate the warranty if changed. I would let them get away with that if the job was neat.

I don't recall if our units had pre-installed flex, but they certainly now have a short flex that goes into the ceiling space where the house sparks left a box with the fixed wiring for them to connect to.

I've not seen it here, but all our aircons in India were supplied by an outlet positioned next to the indoor unit into which the indoor unit was plugged (outdoor unit was supplied from indoor).

True Visions is a joke.  When I added my third set top box they told me on the phone that 20 meters of cable was free and anything over was 20 baht/meter.  When they came out to install it I told the guy that I measured it and that I needed 25 meters of cable.  He said 20 meter free and cut the cable at 20 meters.  Even though I had installed a wire channel, when they left it looked like the first picture with the splitter dangling out of  the wire channel beside the TV cabinet in full view.  No mater how much I complained they wouldn't add the extra cable to make the installation right - I even had a barrel connector.  I reworked it myself and 1 hour after they left the cable had been extended and screwed to the wall behind the TV cabinet.  The installation was "free"!  I complained to them via email and the next day the same crew came back to correct the problem.  Guess what I wouldn't let them in the house nor would I sign work order. 

DSC01266.jpg

DSC01268.jpg

Had my AC units installed by the AC shop at the end of the soi. There is nothing visible inside the rooms except the unit itself. 

Maybe the problem is buying something that needs to be installed from a retail shop/store and not an installation company who sells?