Songtaew drivers complain again against Uber

tropico

A delegation of songtaew drivers went to complain again against Uber and grab taxi because it seems that, since these services have started, songtaew drivers have seen less profits. I understand their issue since there is no law regulating such services but the law itself need a reform because it is outdated. 

Beside this, I think that these services have brought finally a choice and people can decide what to use instead than the usual songtaews. I personally like the service that Uber offer and I did use them instead of other services. I also think that somebody might still need songtaews but there a bit too many around and their service should be regulated as well. Instead of 2500 of them perhaps just 500 might be enough. However the way it works now I think there is no limit in the number of these "cars". Beside making the traffic worse, polluting and often requesting unreasonable fares, they are outdated and I feel hat the city needs a proper public transportation that works!

I'd like to start a petition myself for removing unnecessary songtaews and have them regulated as well. Got to improve and go farward for improving viability and reduce pollution.

Not saying this is the only problem on the road but should start from somewhere!!

Songteaws reduce traffic congestion - a full songteaw carries maybe 14 or more people, if they were all in cars, that might be 7 to 10 extra cars on the road. If they were all on motorcycles, there would be a lot more deaths and injuries. They're pretty cheap and flexible too, they're a great transportation option.  I generally find the drivers are fair and honest, although there are some that quote exorbitant fares - be careful of the ones parked outside shopping centers.

The real menace are the tuk-tuks - those are what Uber and Grab will replace. They're dangerous, uncomfortable, overpriced and have held their monopoly too long, preventing any reasonable alternatives from emerging until now.

I have no doubt Uber and Grab will prevail and replace tuk-tuks, but I expect Songteaws to remain - once uber/grab scale back their promotional pricing, they won't be competing with songteaws anymore.

30 minutes ago, JomtienEats said:

Songteaws reduce traffic congestion - a full songteaw carries maybe 14 or more people, if they were all in cars, that might be 7 to 10 extra cars on the road. If they were all on motorcycles, there would be a lot more deaths and injuries. They're pretty cheap and flexible too, they're a great transportation option.  I generally find the drivers are fair and honest, although there are some that quote exorbitant fares - be careful of the ones parked outside shopping centers.

The real menace are the tuk-tuks - those are what Uber and Grab will replace. They're dangerous, uncomfortable, overpriced and have held their monopoly too long, preventing any reasonable alternatives from emerging until now.

I have no doubt Uber and Grab will prevail and replace tuk-tuks, but I expect Songteaws to remain - once uber/grab scale back their promotional pricing, they won't be competing with songteaws anymore.

I seldom see more than 2-3 people inside red songtaews. And most the time they go around empty.  I still think that they make worse the traffic of Chiang Mai and I rather have an affordable, more modern and reliable public transportation system. The white and blue songtaews is another story and i think they might still be necessary for people that commute from the outside the city.

Cheat, lie, steal, pollute and when you get caught red handed; blame the farang and get the police to help.....on  a good day, they are fine....on any night or near the tourist' spots; they are worse than trying to have a conversation with a crack dealer.  Don't know what is up lately, but it seems like the are pulling out their dash mounted smart phones and searching for very simple places that have been well known for fifty years.  Is this the annual influx of the Isaak taxi mafia?  I just walked away.  If you don't know where  Tesco Lotus at Ton Payom is....you should not be a driver for higher.  

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

44 minutes ago, tropico said:

I seldom see more than 2-3 people inside red songtaews. And most the time they go around empty.  I still think that they make worse the traffic of Chiang Mai and I rather have an affordable, more modern and reliable public transportation system. The white and blue songtaews is another story and i think they might still be necessary for people that commute from the outside the city.

Songtaews and tuk tuks may lurk about city areas but if you live 6km out getting one is difficult. They are not contactable like grab and uber so don't help themselves. 

Yes red Songteaws do carry more people and they also double park in narrow sois while they are either getting paid for the trip taken or negotiating a new one.

They just obviously contribute to CM's traffic woes out of weak time you wil see them parked in droves, sleeping ,waiting for the PM peak time

Like all vehicles,they are supposed to pass a yearly test for exhaust emmision which is now quite strict. Funny how there are so many belching black smoke that doesnt happen overnight

Out of town they are currently a necessity. In the old city they are a pain in the butt but have successfullly ruled the roost for a long time.

7 minutes ago, mesquite said:

Time for the songtaew drivers to wake up and smell the coffee.  Uber and Grab are only part of a trend toward using technology to improve services.  People can either get on board or be left behind. 

Yes, Uber and Grab are part of Thailand 4.0.

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

Maybe Songtaew Organisation should check first her own opaque business practice. Price indication only in Thai isn't very kind for Tourists. It smells like cheating. Specially in CM.

From what I saw pricing is in both Thai and English however i overheard a driver last week quoting three Japan ladies a fare of 100Bt each to go from maya to Thaepae gate. 

11 hours ago, tropico said:

songtaew drivers have seen less profits

From what I have seen it will be even less still. They picked a great time to paint the new rate on the side of their trucks 30 bahts per passenger up from 20 here in Chiang Mai. Would be acceptable if an attitude change went along with the increase but I highly doubt it. Uber for me. 

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

I doubt any songtaew driver is complaining.  I don't know what the prices are in CNX, but in Hua Hin its 10 baht a ride before 7 pm and 15 baht after 7 pm.  This is hardly in the same league as Uber.  

Read my post 16 you guys are lucky. 

4 hours ago, alant said:

Songtaews and tuk tuks may lurk about city areas but if you live 6km out getting one is difficult. They are not contactable like grab and uber so don't help themselves. 

Thats the problem they only want to help themselves. When you don't want one they follow you beeping the horn. When you want one they are not going in that direction well I know what direction I would like them to go

I think it is clear what many people feel about the red songtaews. it is not just a couple of people complaining. they are often offering a service that is not good enough! 

I definitely support Uber and I always try to pay more then what is the price just in appreciation of the service. 

I still would like to see a public transportation system that is reliable, modern and cheap enough for locals.

Uber and Grab are just another choice, and of course it's a welcome one. As this is Thailand i wonder if there's any wisdom for the petition to regulate the Songtaews? Eventually market forces will set the numbers.

From Big C Maehia to Airport Central Plaza, i ride a yellow songtaew for 10 baht. Red ones cost 20 baht. Too many songtaews running the roads? Sometimes i waited 20 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Uber/Grab or its incarnations will out.  If they are deemed illegal, there will be an Internet work-around to provide it.

Uber is democratic: No price-gouging based on ethnicity.  Uber employs (mainly) responsible, insured drivers with new(ish) vehicles that are air conditioned, and provide seat belts.

Uber may be more expensive than red trucks, but they beat the heck out of dangerous, overpriced tuk-tucks.

Customers --Falang and Thai--have had a taste of the "future" (actually the present), and there is no stopping its presence.

OF COURSE Chiang Mai needs reliable public transportation.  It's heartbreaking to see empty bus stands all over town!  But until that time arrives, Uber will out.

I recommend those who use Uber to wholeheartedly support it.  TIp your drivers well.  Give them good reviews when warranted (which is almost always).

I also keep driver's numbers (with their consent) on my phone list, and encourage them to keep mine as well.  In case they are shut down (again), we both of have a life-line to the other.

One last thing.  I had my first really bad Uber ride last week.  I reported the driver,  an investigation has commenced. (an agent in Amsterdam contacted me immediately me by email), and I'm assured the driver will never be able to access my ride requests in the future.

What kind of protection do we have with local drivers? (Suppressing a sarcastic chuckle and moan here...)

The market demands Uber, and it will survive in one form or another.

Even my best friend, a female Tuk-Tuk driver, sees the writing on the wall:  "Things change. People used to shop more in malls.  Now they shop online.  Thais resist change.  But technology moves quickly.  Our young people accept and embrace technological change, and Thais, moving forward, must be more ready to keep pace with change.  Will I be out of work as a Tuk-Tuk driver?  Yes, in time, my job will vanish, and I will adapt.  There will always be a need for songteaws, but their numbers will diminish.  Drivers need to look ahead instead of clinging to the old ways."

Easier said than done, but these words come from a 56 year-old woman.  So, I hold out tentative hope that (albeit probably kicking and screaming), drivers and the government will be forced to move towards change.

The market demands Uber, and it is too late for suppression.

Please support Uber if you are a patron!

Exerpt from today's follow-up email from Uber after I reported an unsafe ride 3 days ago:

"We've followed up with the driver right after we received your email. The incident will be noted on the driver's account for our records. Should there be any untoward incident in the future involving the same driver and other riders, these reports will be referenced and will be used to assess the suitability of the driver staying on the system.

We have fully refunded the fare for this trip. This is not because the driver failed to take you to your destination, but because of the entire undesirable experience. An updated receipt was sent to you, and the adjustment will take a few business days to reflect on your account. If you have any further details that you believe are relevant please send them my way. Meanwhile, we have ensured you will not be matched with this driver again."

THIS is why I support Uber.

Thai songteaw mafia, greedy tuk-tuk drivers and corrupt government officials--

GET A CLUE!

(Yeah, right...)

Edited by Brightly

On 21/04/2017 at 10:36 AM, geriatrickid said:

I doubt any songtaew driver is complaining.  I don't know what the prices are in CNX, but in Hua Hin its 10 baht a ride before 7 pm and 15 baht after 7 pm.  This is hardly in the same league as Uber.  

The system is different in HH and CM. CM sawngthaews do not follow a specific route, that is why it is 20 Baht as it is basically a shared taxi that will drop you (or not) at your desired destination

On 4/21/2017 at 2:27 PM, JomtienEats said:

Songteaws reduce traffic congestion - a full songteaw carries maybe 14 or more people...

But very few are full - And an empty one can be a downright menace on the road... :coffee1:

Edited by sfokevin

On 21/04/2017 at 8:07 PM, steveyinasia said:

From what I saw pricing is in both Thai and English however i overheard a driver last week quoting three Japan ladies a fare of 100Bt each to go from maya to Thaepae gate. 

Meanwhile, all three of those three ladies could have done the same trip in air conditioned comfort with an Uber car for 50 baht.

That songthaew driver certainly must have been proud of himself.