Where to find quality toaster oven in CM?

Guest siamjourney

Guest siamjourney

I've never bought one here but a friend warned me years ago that the cheap ones are terrible.  Can anyone recommend a quality small toaster oven and where to find it here?

Duh. this isn't that difficult.   It's only a toaster oven for goodness sake.  Just buy a brand brand that isn't a Thai or Chinese brand. And even then, they don't last for more than 3 - 4 years if you've spend less than 5000 baht.  

we bought an Electrolux  1500 watt  at Siam TV.    Use it almost daily now for over a year for bread, pizza,

baked chicken ......    for us  it has worked great.     Price is 2490 baht ......they have smaller and bigger ones

than the one we got.

I found the largest selection with the best prices at PowerBuy on the north-west side of the moat.  I found the most expensive ones at Siam TV and they only had a couple of models from which to chose. Good quality, but I didn't want to spend $100 to toast bread.

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

Duh. this isn't that difficult.   It's only a toaster oven for goodness sake.  Just buy a brand brand that isn't a Thai or Chinese brand. And even then, they don't last for more than 3 - 4 years if you've spend less than 5000 baht.  

Most electrical appliances usually have something 'made in China' and they're quite reliable.

I didn't know Thai's made toaster ovens, but their Woks are very good.

Been using mine for 21 years.

11 hours ago, uptheos said:

Most electrical appliances usually have something 'made in China' and they're quite reliable.

I didn't know Thai's made toaster ovens, but their Woks are very good.

I said not to buy a Thai or Chinese brand name.  I realize that many of the Japanese, Korean and European brands are actually made in China, but their engineering and quality control seems to be better.  We've had bad experience with Thai brands for small appliances like rice cookers and sukiyaki pots.  They just don't last more than a year or so.

18 hours ago, NancyL said:

I agree 100% nancy. it's not a dialysis machine for God's sake. If his friends warned him not to buy a cheap one then why not buy an expensive one.

20 minutes ago, thaifoodruns said:

What about the link to lazada?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

op asks for a recommendation for a small oven.   i think he wanted a brand name .    the one i mentioned is also

available thru lazada.     same price as i got at siam tv and i got to look and compare to other brands/

Guest siamjourney

Thanks for your feedback.  I just tried PowerBuy and saw several models.  They all seem to have the same basic controls with the cheaper ones looking like they have a poor heating element.  What I now realize is that the toaster ovens here don't have an on/off switch that works on a darkness setting  just like a normal toaster.  They have timers that go up to 60 minutes so it's difficult to select something like 4 minutes for perfect English muffins.  

In the States I recall the toaster ovens had 3 controls: toast/top brown only, darkness level, and an on/off switch.   So it was almost like a normal toaster but you could cook only the top if you wanted.    You never have to worry about a timer setting once you've selected your preferred darkness level (just like a toaster).

I realize this is overkill on the subject!  I'll probably settle on the Electolux rumak suggested.  Thanks.

Yeah, SiamJourney, toaster ovens aren't like toasters.  You have to guess on the approximate length of time and be prepared to flip the item being toasted at least once, usually more since the front-to-back also toasts unevenly.  Hubby's the "head toaster" and he hovers over the oven with wooden tongs while in operation, flipping bread front-to-back and upside down a few times during the process.  Welcome to life in Thailand!

Why not just get a conventional toaster, you ask.  Well, we like to toast bagels and English muffins (when we can find them).  And the little oven can accomodate a small glass casserole dish and I can make some main meal entrees in it that are much better than cooked in a microwave.  In our small kitchen, it's our only oven.  Considering we paid less than 2000 baht for the little champ, we're getting our money's worth.  Incidentally, it's a Toshiba brand and one of the main reasons we bought it, was it had to fit into the space available on our appliance shelf next to the microwave.  As I said, it's a small kitchen.

Appliances.jpg

A short and late note on the subject.

At PowerBuy, avoid the "Mamaru" brand that they stock a lot of. These are much cheaper, look good, and are a temptation.

But they are really badly made.

I have bought four items - two fans, a toaster oven, and a hotplate - and ALL of them broke down in about a year. The controls broke on three of them, and I forget what the fourth problem was.

Now I pay more and buy one of the mainstream brands.