First visa extension in current year

I couldn't find a thread that addressed this so hope someone can advise on the best option.

I am approaching the end of my 30 day visa exemption, last year I got my first extension of 30 days in Chiang Mai, I went to Vientiane for my second extension a month later. I subsequently had three more before returning home to Europe in October.

Could I repeat this or might the first 2016 extension issued in Chiang Mai prevent this? It will have been just a few days over one year since the first extension at CM immigration.

You should be clear about the difference between extensions and visa applications. Getting extensions of stay of a tourist entry is pretty much automatic, and prior history will have no effect on that. However, applying for more visas in Vientiane (if, as I assume, you did that before) may become problematic. Typically, after three or four tourist visas are issued in Vientiane, they will no longer issue you with more. It may be necessary to apply for your visas elsewhere.

7 hours ago, cven said:

I couldn't find a thread that addressed this so hope someone can advise on the best option.

I am approaching the end of my 30 day visa exemption, last year I got my first extension of 30 days in Chiang Mai, I went to Vientiane for my second extension a month later. I subsequently had three more before returning home to Europe in October.

Could I repeat this or might the first 2016 extension issued in Chiang Mai prevent this? It will have been just a few days over one year since the first extension at CM immigration.

You seem to be calling getting a new visa exempt entry an extension. Extensions are only done at immigration offices.

There is no overall limit on getting 30 day extensions of a visa exempt entry. 

At land border crossings there is now a limit of 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year that went into effect on January 1st of this year. The entries you did last year do not matter now. 

Thanks for the replies,

I was confusing them, I should not have referred to the visas issued in Vientiane as extensions, thanks for the clarification.

I guess I should try to get an extension of my visa exempt entry at local immigration, as there is no overall limit I will try for a second consecutive extension should I be successsful with the first.

I had two tourist visas issued in Vientiane last year, perhaps it would be worth trying there again if I am unsuccessful with local immigration.

Thanks again guys

13 minutes ago, cven said:

I guess I should try to get an extension of my visa exempt entry at local immigration, as there is no overall limit I will try for a second consecutive extension should I be successsful with the first.

You can only get one extension for each visa exempt entry. If you have already gotten one for your current entry you cannot get another one.

8 minutes ago, cven said:

Can you only have one visa exempt entry per calendar year?

By air there is no written limit on visa exempt entries. At a land border crossing only 2 can be done per calendar year.