China to Singapore rail link effect on Esarn land prices

Unusual topic but my wife tells me that because the route of this international High speed rail link is no longer going close to Chumphae, Khon Kaen  the value of our (her) farmland will have halved.
This makes no sense to me as train would likely not stop anywhere but Bangkok is even there. Any land would likely be a compulsory purchase order from Government.

Any thoughts

Good time to buy more land then.

The disconnect in Thailand between productive value of farm land compared to market value is massive. Back in my country of birth you should be able to get the capital cost of farm land back in 10 to 20 years (depending on what type of farming). Here that period can be anything from 50 to 100 years.

6 hours ago, tomwct said:

You can't own it so why worry about it. Thai land pricing is totally NUTS! This train maybe realized in the year 2040, if at all, and I will

be 90, if I'm still here! Amazing Thailand.

Good advice right on par with the way things happen in Thailand. I doubt if your wife's land values will change. 

Because there is no trust culture in Asia(other than within families) contracts are unsure. Without good contracting, only hard assets have value. Thus Asian financial markets are less popular to people than land, gold, etc. 

put it your money in US listed REITs. Get 4 to 8 % compounded return. Sell in a minute for a charge less than $10. 

Rent in Thailand. 

Halved from what? The speculated price after the rail link was to be completed in the original plans?
Was the land bought by yourselves as an investment because of the rail link at a higher than normal area price, if not then why would the value drop for any reason at all?
Compulsory purchases will only pay land or property prices at the going standard for that area, not for the proposed value of the land or property after any developments have been carried out. The authorities wont pay inflated prices on land that they want or need

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk