Speeding fines in Thailand - go faster pay less!

webfact

3 hours ago, Regyai said:

To coin an old response

There's planes leaving every hour

That's fantastic news! How many of those planes do you think it would take to fly out roughly 68 million people?

1 hour ago, masuk said:

Fines in Australia are rather stiff, and not only are there large increases each time your get caught (it's all computerised) but it's indexed to cost of living.

Last time I asked, the fine for not wearing a helmet was $300 for a first offence and indexed.

Then points also come off and as Mister Fixit points out, you lose your licence after two or three bouts of forgetfulness.

Thailand is a rather dangerous place to be driving anything other than a Sherman tank, and without realistic fines, a points system, and a police force willing to enforce traffic laws, traffic fatalities will never decrease.

I've been driving in Thailand for 8 years now, scooter and car. No accidents.

The key to survival here is to drive defensively. Assume everyone else on the roads is an idiot, and you won't be far wrong.

Edited by bazza73
Addition

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Simply not possible in Thailand due to cultural differences

This is define by Thai people as " This is Thailand "  I usually respond " yes this is Thailand " but believe it or not, vehicles were invented in the West and so are the rules Thailand are using in teaching and testing in obtaining a license for Thais. The biggest problem it seems when they got a hold of the rules no one ever explain to them the actually meanings. I'm all for culture but  when culture is killing over 20,000 Thais a year,  80% of them on motorbikes, rank #1 in the world and rank second in the world in worse or most accident, one needs to throw culture out of the equation. As a Thai MP, said in a interview a few years back posted in the Bangkok Post, " the more patriotic the more stupid ".

If I'm able to actually get through to a Thai as to the above, the reaction I get is just total silence. Many actually think the car was invented in Thailand?

Edited by thailand49

The key ingredients in driving here is...

A. The best offense is the best defense

B. Learn what are the Thai habits in driving, once you do that you can better avoid something from actually happening. That is called, getting the big picture.

The point system can work but the Thai don't have a technical system to keep track of every driver in Thailand regardless of their location with a touch of a button. Fines being collected go straight to the City and pockets.

The system like majority of things for Government are minimum 50 years behind times.

Edited by thailand49

License ??? When I bought our car I had to provide all sorts of documents. Work permit , signed letter from the embaasy of address in Thailand etc etc . Same when I bought my motorbike. Simple solution bought them both in my wife's name. Only document needed was her ID card. License ??? Not needed !!! There in lies the problem. 

The issue isn't really the rules or even the punishments given out, it is the enforcement of it and the consistency of that enforcement.

I can be speeding past a gaggle of cops here with no helmet on drunk as a skunk and they won't bat an eyelid. But if it is the end of the month and they have a designated team at a traffic stop they will get you for almost anything.

A huge improvement would be made simply by making cops understand they need to enforce the rules all the time, not just when they are specifically assigned it.

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Given the death toll I recall seeing, the safe driving campaign has to be considered an abject failure.

And if they really want to stop speeding, the fines should be considerably higher than either of these two tickets.

It totally depend where you go 121 km/h. On a 6 line highway it is absolutely no matter of safety but a matter of collecting extra money (in Germany we go 250 km/h on highways without a fine and statistically no higher acident rate). If you go 80 within a city it may be very dangerous. So always check the facts behind!

Here we are.

I came across this on the net - a list of MAXIMUM fines applicable for various driving offences in the UK.  
Obviously they will differ depending on circumstances, but imagine if these penalties were actually applied in Thailand.  That would make a lot of people in Thailand cack themselves more than a bit.  The first one alone would have that Jenphop and the Red Bull slimeball a bit worried.

Penalty table

Offence Maximum penalty Penalty points
*Causing death by dangerous driving 14 years’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Obligatory disqualification (minimum 2 years) 3 to 11 (if exceptionally not disqualified)
*Dangerous driving 2 years’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Obligatory disqualification 3 to 11 (if exceptionally not disqualified)
*Causing death by careless driving under the influence of drink or drugs 14 years’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Obligatory disqualification (minimum 2 years) 3 to 11 (if exceptionally not disqualified)
Careless and inconsiderate driving Unlimited fine / Discretionary disqualification 3 to 9
Driving while unfit through drink or drugs or with excess alcohol: or failing to provide a specimen for analysis 6 months’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Obligatory disqualification 3 to 11 (if exceptionally not disqualified)
Failing to stop after an accident or failing to report an accident 6 months’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Discretionary disqualification 5 to 10
Driving while disqualified 6 months’ imprisonment (12 months in Scotland) / Unlimited fine / Discretionary disqualification 6
Driving after refusal or revocation of licence on medical grounds 6 months’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Discretionary disqualification 3 to 6
Driving without insurance Unlimited fine / Discretionary disqualification 6 to 8
Using a vehicle in a dangerous condition LGV or PCV unlimited, other vehicles £2,500/ Obligatory disqualification if offence committed within 3 years of a previous conviction for a similar offence - 6 months min. Otherwise discretionary 3 in each case
Failure to have proper control of vehicle or full view of the road and traffic ahead £1,000 fine (£2,500 for PCV or goods vehicle) / Discretionary disqualification 3
Using a hand-held mobile phone when driving £1,000 fine (£2,500 for PCV or goods vehicle) / Discretionary disqualification 6
Driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence £1,000 fine / Discretionary disqualification 3 to 6
Speeding £1,000 fine (£2,500 for motorway offences) / Discretionary disqualification 3 to 6, or 3 (fixed penalty)
Traffic light offences £1,000 fine / Discretionary disqualification 3
No MOT certificate £1,000 fine -
Seat belt offences £500 fine -
Dangerous cycling £2,500 fine -
Careless cycling £1,000 fine -
Cycling on pavement £500 fine -
Failing to identify driver of vehicle £1,000 fine / Discretionary disqualification -
Edited by Mister Fixit

Here we are.
 I came across this on the net - a list of MAXIMUM fines applicable for various driving offences in the UK.  
Obviously they will differ depending on circumstances, but imagine if these penalties were actually applied in Thailand.  That would make a lot of people in Thailand cack themselves more than a bit.  The first one alone would have that Jenphop and the Red Bull slimeball a bit worried.

Penalty table

Offence Maximum penalty Penalty points
*Causing death by dangerous driving 14 years’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Obligatory disqualification (minimum 2 years) 3 to 11 (if exceptionally not disqualified)
*Dangerous driving 2 years’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Obligatory disqualification 3 to 11 (if exceptionally not disqualified)
*Causing death by careless driving under the influence of drink or drugs 14 years’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Obligatory disqualification (minimum 2 years) 3 to 11 (if exceptionally not disqualified)
Careless and inconsiderate driving Unlimited fine / Discretionary disqualification 3 to 9
Driving while unfit through drink or drugs or with excess alcohol: or failing to provide a specimen for analysis 6 months’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Obligatory disqualification 3 to 11 (if exceptionally not disqualified)
Failing to stop after an accident or failing to report an accident 6 months’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Discretionary disqualification 5 to 10
Driving while disqualified 6 months’ imprisonment (12 months in Scotland) / Unlimited fine / Discretionary disqualification 6
Driving after refusal or revocation of licence on medical grounds 6 months’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Discretionary disqualification 3 to 6
Driving without insurance Unlimited fine / Discretionary disqualification 6 to 8
Using a vehicle in a dangerous condition LGV or PCV unlimited, other vehicles £2,500/ Obligatory disqualification if offence committed within 3 years of a previous conviction for a similar offence - 6 months min. Otherwise discretionary 3 in each case
Failure to have proper control of vehicle or full view of the road and traffic ahead £1,000 fine (£2,500 for PCV or goods vehicle) / Discretionary disqualification 3
Using a hand-held mobile phone when driving £1,000 fine (£2,500 for PCV or goods vehicle) / Discretionary disqualification 6
Driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence £1,000 fine / Discretionary disqualification 3 to 6
Speeding £1,000 fine (£2,500 for motorway offences) / Discretionary disqualification 3 to 6, or 3 (fixed penalty)
Traffic light offences £1,000 fine / Discretionary disqualification 3
No MOT certificate £1,000 fine -
Seat belt offences £500 fine -
Dangerous cycling £2,500 fine -
Careless cycling £1,000 fine -
Cycling on pavement £500 fine -
Failing to identify driver of vehicle £1,000 fine / Discretionary disqualification -

Good information. The word "discretionary" appears in there a lot. Seems that just like Thailand penalties vary from person to person.

On 5/5/2017 at 8:52 AM, webfact said:

Apparently there was a safe driving campaign on before the holidays and the fines were higher then. Reporters were told to look at the dates at the bottom for confirmation.

Discounts discounts everywhere. All part of the confession is good for the soul campaign. 

To the BKK leaders:

I think this problem is overwhelmingly a night and/or drinking driving problem. Why do we have speeding zones when there is next to zero chances of getting an accident: there are very few accidents at noon time when everyone is sober and there is good light. Am I the only one who has figured that one out? Of course, the idiots running the show, fine people at all times, even when students are in class (assuming they are, of course)! The level of incompetence in the West and here is so high it is hard where to start and what to change.Of course, it would be too complicated for them to have a more complicated system. Of course! If it so complicated for them, then maybe they should get fired.

Again, I think when THEY will pass laws (and this comment gets 3000 "likes") that fine people based on the value of the driver's house(s) value (rent/purchase) and car(s) from 6 p.m. to 5 a.m., I will start believing there is real change coming. But, I bet the ones who live in 10 million B. houses will not like that idea. NIMBYism, at its best! Of course, I think educating the public (incl. children) is crucial. How about a law preventing people from having those 100% tinted car windows? At least, then, you could see their entitled face!  Isn't that a hazard to not see? At night? When one is drunk? At least, in the Western countries, the kids could bug parents, but here they must respect them, probably even if the adult screws up. 

Come on, show us you mean you really can and want to clean the system. Actions speak louder than words.

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

"Besides, said the cops there is "discretion" from one district to another in how much a speeding motorist has to pay.";

what a great opportunity to practice racism

additionally, even more entertaining than the thai laws and their underlying 'logic' are the comments made publicly by 'officials'

"Besides, said the cops there is "discretion" from one district to another in how much a speeding motorist has to pay.";
what a great opportunity to practice racism
additionally, even more entertaining than the thai laws and their underlying 'logic' are the comments made publicly by 'officials'

You obviously did not read post #47 where discretionary is mentioned for most fines. Where racism comes into the OP is a mystery to me. Carry on.

On 5/6/2017 at 11:48 AM, alanrchase said:

Good information. The word "discretionary" appears in there a lot. Seems that just like Thailand penalties vary from person to person.

And situation to situation.  If someone had a number of previous convictions for, say, speeding, then there would be a lot less discretion employed when considering whether to take their driving licence, and for how long.

On 5/5/2017 at 4:31 PM, tigermoth said:

What a load of horseshit. Thailand has one law for all. There are no discrepencies or allowance for different fines. You are either speeding or not. The fines are ridiculously low all over. Exceeding the limit by 10kmp should be 500 bht, 20kmph 2000 baht. Anything over 20kmph 10,000 baht. Might make everyone think twice.

Horseshit according to you, Citation needed, citation needed, citation needed, in your opinion, in your opinion, and again in your opinion and lastly you aren't a mind reader.  

On 05/05/2017 at 3:45 PM, alanrchase said:

Discretion exists in the UK. I was caught at 125 mph, automatic ban? Was leaving the country the next day for a minimum of one year and was fined more but not banned.

I'd like to know more details of that- any ban (and at that speed it would be virtually mandatory) would apply only to driving in the uk and they would be unlikely to suspend that simply because you said you were going abroad because you always have the option to return. Where/ when was this?

I'd like to know more details of that- any ban (and at that speed it would be virtually mandatory) would apply only to driving in the uk and they would be unlikely to suspend that simply because you said you were going abroad because you always have the option to return. Where/ when was this?

July 1988 on the A303 near Yeovil. As I was going on a one year open ended contract abroad and required my UK licence to obtain a local licence I avoided a ban. £200 fine and six points.

3 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

July 1988 on the A303 near Yeovil. As I was going on a one year open ended contract abroad and required my UK licence to obtain a local licence I avoided a ban. £200 fine and six points.

Thanks,30 years ago,that explains it. You'd not get that leeway now.

On vrijdag 5 mei 2017 at 3:52 AM, webfact said:

Two fines in the same area of Prae province posted by "Liew Piya" showed an 800 baht ticket for going 115 kilometers an hour and one showing a payment of just 500 baht for going 121 kmph.

Can any-one read in the Thai article where it was in Phrae ?