Six year old Thai/Italian twins 'marry' in Songkhla

webfact

You'd think the Italian/Western parent would have more sense than to go along with this nonsense... 

Just goes to show it's not just the natives that are daft. 

1 hour ago, Ocicat said:

When do they get to consummate the marriage?

What a sick question... Do you not realise that firstly they're just children and secondly their brother and sister? 

How can you think about them "consummating" the "marriage"?

Yuk! 

48 minutes ago, djayz said:

What a sick question... Do you not realise that firstly they're just children and secondly their brother and sister? 

How can you think about them "consummating" the "marriage"?

Yuk! 

Happens often does it not?

6 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Happens often does it not?

Not that I'm aware of and it's not something I've given much thought to. 

It's not natural. 

16 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Indeed but one doesn't have to leave logic at home when one moves there. I respect many of their customs until it involves kids in such a fashion. This is about potential monetary gain through the eyes of the mother and her family for them first and foremost. Consideration of the kids is secondary or non-existent... ripe for future mental health conditioning. The Italian father must be a right winner. What does he tell his friends and family back home I wonder.

You might try putting your reading comprehension hat on, or read up on the simsot.

BOTH children have the same parents. It is not as thought the father has paid the money to his future in laws family, which is more often than not returned to the married couple anyway. Why is it so hard for people to understand that this is a purely ceremonial event?

Why do you feel entitled to denigrate the beliefs and customs of the Thai people?
This is 100% for the benefit of the children, intended to ward off an early death, according to a Buddhist belief about Karma.

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

You might try putting your reading comprehension hat on, or read up on the simsot.

BOTH children have the same parents. It is not as thought the father has paid the money to his future in laws family, which is more often than not returned to the married couple anyway. Why is it so hard for people to understand that this is a purely ceremonial event?

Why do you feel entitled to denigrate the beliefs and customs of the Thai people?
This is 100% for the benefit of the children, intended to ward off an early death, according to a Buddhist belief about Karma.

Not every poster/post is intended to denigrate the Thais and their beliefs. 

Edited by djayz

36 minutes ago, djayz said:

Not every poster/post is intended to denigrate the Thais and their beliefs. 

This, however, most directly and obviously , was:

"This is about potential monetary gain through the eyes of the mother and her family for them first and foremost. Consideration of the kids is secondary or non-existent."

18 hours ago, balo said:

I wish the married "couple" all the best for the future. 

Are they allowed to have other partners when they grow up ?  

Yes, they later have real, recorded marriages if they wish to.

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

You might try putting your reading comprehension hat on, or read up on the sinsot.

For whatever reason the original post by me was not able to be edited...
I had misspelled "sin sot".:smile:

Edited by Bill Miller
Clarification