Buying Michelin Tires

RSD1

Does anyone know where is a good place in Bangkok to buy Michelin Pilot Street tires for a Honda CBR250R and have them installed?

I think the size I need is 140/17 in the back and 110/17 in the front. Thank you.

Surprisingly, after buying a Honda bike from a Honda dealer, I find that the places that I visit for a service are also able to get and fit tyres. If they don't have them, then find Michelin (I used to have Pirelli tyres for my GSX-R, either from my local bike shop or 300 baht cheaper from the Pirelli shop).

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

What do click for English i'm 64210. :smile:

Sadly, Michelin Thailand has no English website. But with the help of copy and paste, Google translate and looking at the map you can easily identify the Michelin dealer in your area.

It’s possible that in some cases your browser would ask if you want to share location information with the michelin.co.th website… if asked agree to it as it would help to pinpoint your location and the nearest dealers… with the mouse scroll you can zoom in to find more details...

3 minutes ago, Richard-BKK said:

Sadly, Michelin Thailand has no English website. But with the help of copy and paste, Google translate and looking at the map you can easily identify the Michelin dealer in your area.

It’s possible that in some cases your browser would ask if you want to share location information with the michelin.co.th website… if asked agree to it as it would help to pinpoint your location and the nearest dealers… with the mouse scroll you can zoom in to find more details...

OK thanks,  now where the ell is my wife when l need her.  :annoyed:  :smile:

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

What do click for English i'm 64210. :smile:

Using Chrome browser, you can right click and translate the whole page.

Oh, sorry - my bad. This is Thailand.....

"

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 500"

Best just go out to bike shops and try to fudge it that way I think.

Question - what are the current stock tyres on the CBR? I ask, because after selling my GSX-R I picked up a PCX... I was really interested to change to City Grips, then I got a bad puncture... I find that the Dunlops for my PCX are really okay for the bike and deviation to Michelin (City Grip) would be a huge price hike. 'okay' being a relative term - compared to a real size bike scooters are bumpy and harsh... but fine up to 110 and handle tidily enough up to 90 (like an '80's bike maybe).

I loved Pirelli on my GSX-R, but at 12000 for a pair of boots I'm really enjoying the cheaper tyres for a lower performance machine... Stock are pretty good.

Worried about performance in the wet? 95% of that is being cool and gentle/progressive and make sure you touch the footbrake whilst you squeeze on the front.

Keep looking, and post back if you find a good spot... but my experience is that shopping outside the box is a tough experience. They think you should be buying Thai tyres... 

If you're interested in some Pirelli Diablo's, I can hook you up (Bangna) with my trusted mechanic of 8 years - and there's a Pirelli dealer near here (he could at least give you directions).

Som's bike shop is under the bridge here - 13°40'39.5"N 100°38'48.1"E

13.677625, 100.646696

If he doesn't know, forget it. He also manages fairly fluent English... and never overcharges or rips people off.

Edited by ben2talk
extra detail

20 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

If you're interested in some Pirelli Diablo's, I can hook you up (Bangna)

As in other bike threads recently l've posted l'm in Sukhothai and there's no suitable places here to get big bike tyre,  the nearest is Phitsanulok which is my best bet.

I was interested in Michelin as they do a good touring tyre but l wouldn't rule out any make that a shop comes up with if similar.

l don't mind waiting if they have order in if not in there stocks.

56 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Question - what are the current stock tyres on the CBR? I ask, because after selling my GSX-R I picked up a PCX... I was really interested to change to City Grips, then I got a bad puncture... I find that the Dunlops for my PCX are really okay for the bike and deviation to Michelin (City Grip) would be a huge price hike. 'okay' being a relative term - compared to a real size bike scooters are bumpy and harsh... but fine up to 110 and handle tidily enough up to 90 (like an '80's bike maybe).

I loved Pirelli on my GSX-R, but at 12000 for a pair of boots I'm really enjoying the cheaper tyres for a lower performance machine... Stock are pretty good.

Worried about performance in the wet? 95% of that is being cool and gentle/progressive and make sure you touch the footbrake whilst you squeeze on the front.

Keep looking, and post back if you find a good spot... but my experience is that shopping outside the box is a tough experience. They think you should be buying Thai tyres... 

If you're interested in some Pirelli Diablo's, I can hook you up (Bangna) with my trusted mechanic of 8 years - and there's a Pirelli dealer near here (he could at least give you directions).

Som's bike shop is under the bridge here - 13°40'39.5"N 100°38'48.1"E

13.677625, 100.646696

If he doesn't know, forget it. He also manages fairly fluent English... and never overcharges or rips people off.

The stock tires on a CBR? CBR150R, CBR250R, CBR300R are IRC Road Winner...Not a popular tire. The stock tire for the CBR500R and CBR650 is the Dunlop D222 if I'm correct....

A good alternative to the Dunlop D222 or expensive Chinese brand is the Mitas Sport Force+ it's a tire developed for sport-touring and offers excellent performance to price ratio for the Honda 500 and 650 series....

Edited by Richard-BKK

Okay - that's bad news, even PCX switched the IRC's for Dunlops which are very cheap and pretty decent...

Next option would be to drop in and visit these guys - or call and try to order in advance...

http://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling/threads/big-bike-shop-in-phitsanulok-k-speed-aka-biker-villa.12966/

Edited by ben2talk

Not everybody lives in Phitsanulok, and therefore it's maybe better to visit the HQ website of K-Speed in Bangkok and from there find the nearest location.... http://www.k-speed.net/

Also keep in mind that K-Speed is not a Michelin or so far as I know motorcycle tire dealer of any brand, and balancing the wheels after a tire change needs some specialized equipment... Most motorcycle tire dealers have much more experience when it comes to tires.

Please take notice that I only hear good things about K-Speed (Bangkok) and they have a huge amount of other items I would recommend them blindly... but for tires ... better more experienced people are out there....

Edited by Richard-BKK

2 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

balancing the wheels after a tire change needs some specialized equipment.

Given the different weights l can do pretty good near job manually, us old bikers know this. :biggrin: 

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Given the different weights l can do pretty good near job manually, us old bikers know this. :biggrin: 

For small-capacity-bike or scoot I have to say I sometimes do it also myself. But when something can reach around 200km/h I prefer that some professional takes a look at it... For the cost I would not have it any other way... wheel balancing is cheap in Thailand...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Thank you everyone for your info. By the way, in terms of manufacture date, how many months old on the manufacture date of a new tire you would accept in Thailand? I know they get dried out and hard over time so, even if tires are in plastic from the factory, I assume they still start to age over time just sitting on a shelf.

16 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Thank you everyone for your info. By the way, in terms of manufacture date, how many months old on the manufacture date of a new tire you would accept in Thailand? I know they get dried out and hard over time so, even if tires are in plastic from the factory, I assume they still start to age over time just sitting on a shelf.

On web sites there is much misleading information many people quote over the top but that's as they say in Thailand  "up to you."

Michelin from what l remember on car tyres give over 10 years life from manufacture date.

Most of the time with many people they wear out before then.

In my experience l had the same tyres on my Volvo in UK which was only used occasionally for some 16 years, MOT in UK strict but no problem.

On my  Fireblade later used occasionally the second set of Bridgestones were 8 years old when l sold it.

Edited by Kwasaki

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

On web sites there is much misleading information many people quote over the top but that's as they say in Thailand  "up to you."

Michelin from what l remember on car tyres give over 10 years life from manufacture date.

Most of the time with many people they wear out before then.

In my experience l had the same tyres on my Volvo in UK which was only used occasionally for some 16 years, MOT in UK strict but no problem.

On my  Fireblade later used occasionally the second set of Bridgestones were 8 years old when l sold it.

On motorcycle tires I think the time is much less. I've heard many people in Thailand talk about that you should be changing motorcycle tires every 2 years, especially if you don't drive the bike everyday. I guess the heat and high temperature here dries out the rubber much more quickly. Hard tires can become slippery and dangerous.

Sorry, this doesn't answer the OP's question though about buying new tires and how recent the manufacture date should be. 

papa once bought a 2nd-hand Suzuki Raider in Chiangmai.

"New" tires with little wear.

Next day rode '5-hour' trip to Maesot

in wet conditions in just under 10-hours.

Rear sliding on braking and down-shifting.

Down 3x including one fall that bent the shift & clutch levers.

Changed to Michelins &

have since ridden Michelins

in the wet

a lot. 

Confident traction.

I always specify to dealer

that tires need to be less than 1 year old

as verified by side-wall mfg date stamp.

;-)

[beyond anecdotes, no data to support really ]

Edited by papa al

On 12/05/2017 at 4:00 AM, WingNut said:

On motorcycle tires I think the time is much less. I've heard many people in Thailand talk about that you should be changing motorcycle tires every 2 years

I've been told in the past that tyres have a shelf life of two years...where I work we are not allowed to run tyres over four years old

(pick-ups, trucks etc).

My PCX tyres are just coming up to five years and have just ordered a new set (Pirelli). Tyres 'age' more if they're left out in the sun (bit like me really :ph34r:)