Single or multiple entry

Can somebody clarify the Visa single or multiple entry for me, I will be applying for the OA Visa in the next couple of weeks and plan to spend a couple of years in Thailand. It seems obvious that the single entry Visa means I won't be able to travel outside of Thailand is that correct? If I apply for the single entry would I be able to change to a multiple entry later on if I do decide to travel in and out of Thailand? Would it just be easier to apply for the multiple entry from the start? I don't plan to leave Thailand within the first 8 months anyway.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The O-A Visa is only issued as a multi-entry Visa and is valid for 1 year. With a single entry 'O' Visa you would get 90 days and during that 90 days if you wanted to travel you would need a re-entry permit 1900 baht. After the 90 days you would need to apply for an extension to remain in Thailand. The O-A will allow you unlimited entries for 1 year giving you a 1 year permission to stay with each entry into the country.

As to whether it is easier, that is up to you as the O-A has additional documentation and requirements for application.

38 minutes ago, tonray said:

With a single entry 'O' Visa you would get 90 days and during that 90 days if you wanted to travel you would need a re-entry permit ...

... for 1000 Baht (not 1900) each. 

1 minute ago, oldsoulchild said:

Ah ok. Just so I understand properly. If, for example I go to Cambodia next April, when I return I'd get another year?

At any point up until the "enter before" date, you get another year when you enter.  That "enter before" date is set 1-year from when the visa is issued.  Therefore, if you enter just before your "enter before" date, you can get nearly 2 years out of the O-A Visa. 

But, during that 2nd year, after the "enter before" date has passed, if you want to leave Thailand and return, will need re-entry permits to preserve your permission-of-stay, because the "visa" itself is dead at that point - only the permission-of-stay you received from it remains.

• Like 1