Pope canonises Fatima visionaries, giving Church new children saints

rooster59

Pope canonises Fatima visionaries, giving Church new children saints

By Philip Pullella and Sergio Goncalves

640x640 (9).jpg

Pope Francis leads the Holy Mass at the Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima in Portugal May 13, 2017. Osservatore Romano/Handout via REUTERS

FATIMA, Portugal (Reuters) - Pope Francis gave the Catholic Church two of its youngest saints on Saturday, canonising shepherd siblings believed to have seen the Madonna 100 years ago in a Portuguese town that is now a major pilgrimage site.

Hundreds of thousands of people, many of whom slept outdoors to hold their places, broke into applause as the leader of the world's 1.2 billion Catholics proclaimed the siblings - Francisco and Jacinta Marto - the newest of the Church's saints.

The two died at the ages of 10 and 9 years old, within three years of the 1917 apparitions, making them the youngest saints of the Church who were not martyrs.

The Virgin of Fatima is venerated by Catholics around the world, a following underscored by the many national flags fluttering in the huge crowd, estimated at more than half a million.

Marie Chantal, 57, a life-long devotee, travelled more than 9,000 km (5,600 miles) from the island of Reunion in the Indian Ocean to attend the ceremony.

"I am very emotional because this pope is truly merciful and close to the people and I think he will bring us many good things," she said.

In the homily of a huge outdoor Mass, Francis prayed that the Madonna would protect the most vulnerable members of society, "especially the sick and the disabled, prisoners and the unemployed, the poor and the abandoned".

Two huge tapestries made from century-old photographs of the children dressed in the traditional peasant garb of the times hung from the church that is now the focal point of the sanctuary visited by about seven million people each year.

The story of Fatima's shepherd children has captivated Catholics since their first reported vision on May 13, 1917.

The Church believes the Madonna gave three children - Francisco and Jacinta Marto and their older cousin Lucia Dos Santos - three messages, the so-called secrets of Fatima. Dos Santos became a nun and died in 2005 at the age of 97, and efforts are underway to make her a saint as well.

The first two secrets were revealed soon and concerned a vision of hell, seen by believers as a prediction of the outbreak of World War Two, a warning that Russia would "spread her errors" in the world, and a need for general conversion to God and prayer.

The "third secret" intrigued the world for more than three-quarters of a century, inspiring books and cults convinced that it predicted the end of the world.

In 2000, the Vatican said it was a prediction of the 1981 assassination attempt on Pope John Paul on May 13, the same day of the first reported apparition in 1917.

John Paul believed the Madonna had diverted one of the bullets that hit him from his vital organs. He donated it to the sanctuary, where it is now embedded in the crown of the statue of the Madonna.

Gracinda Vieira, 57, slept outside during the chill night in Fatima to hold her place near the front of the crowd.

"It was not a great sacrifice ... it is very important for me and for the Church," said Vieira, who had travelled from her home 250 km north of Fatima in central Portugal.

"This pope is different in everything, I like him a lot. He is closer to us, the people," she said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-14

3 hours ago, Farang hunter said:

The pope is a hypocrite master just like religious hypocrites with all respect to monks here

2 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Time to prop up the faith ! This Pope is certainly different protecting his flock of pedophiles !

Both of you may not like religion in general or Catholics or The Pope specifically, but these insulting comments do nothing constructive for the board. Categorizing all religious individuals (while excepting monks) as hypocrites is unfair. Claiming all Catholics are pedophiles constitutes hate speech. 

12 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

Both of you may not like religion in general or Catholics or The Pope specifically, but these insulting comments do nothing constructive for the board. Categorizing all religious individuals (while excepting monks) as hypocrites is unfair. Claiming all Catholics are pedophiles constitutes hate speech. 

So all comments must kiss butt?

I'll not be so selective: All religion is detrimental to society and rather than involve children, should, like genitalia, be kept away from them.

1 minute ago, grumbleweed said:

So all comments must kiss butt?

I'll not be so selective: All religion is detrimental to society and rather than involve children, should, like genitalia, be kept away from them.

Thank you for your opinion. Have a nice day.

4 hours ago, Farang hunter said:

The pope is a hypocrite master just like religious hypocrites with all respect to monks here

I had a vision that I was going to get drunk Friday night ,and the vision came true later. Does this qualify as a Saintly vision ? Do I get my image cast and glued to the dash board of a Mexican's car ?

After you are brainwashed at an early age to accept myth with no basis in fact or logic, it becomes easy to accept the BS served up in the name of religion.

Lucia Dos Santos is unlikely to become a saint anytime soon. 50 years after death seems to be the mandatory minimum, so that anyone who remembers the candidates all too human foibles is also not around to mention their lack of saintliness.

BTW you would hae to feel a bit let down if you believed for 50 years the 3rd secret was the end of the world, and it gets relegated to some geriatric copping a bullet, and living. But it was the same day of the year, so it must be true.

This one is a bit more worldly and personable than many of his predecessors but the dark forces still manipulate from behind the curtains. Clive James got it right : " The Church is little more than an advertising agency for a product that doesn't exist."

48 minutes ago, halloween said:

After you are brainwashed at an early age to accept myth with no basis in fact or logic, it becomes easy to accept the BS served up in the name of religion.

Lucia Dos Santos is unlikely to become a saint anytime soon. 50 years after death seems to be the mandatory minimum, so that anyone who remembers the candidates all too human foibles is also not around to mention their lack of saintliness.

BTW you would hae to feel a bit let down if you believed for 50 years the 3rd secret was the end of the world, and it gets relegated to some geriatric copping a bullet, and living. But it was the same day of the year, so it must be true.

Not everyone fed with religious propaganda during their childhood grows up to accept the 'truth'....

Some of us have a brain and so realise that it boils down to 'faith'.

Back on topic - this canonisation is even more lame than most others.

4 hours ago, sanukjim said:

I had a vision that I was going to get drunk Friday night ,and the vision came true later. Does this qualify as a Saintly vision ? Do I get my image cast and glued to the dash board of a Mexican's car ?

Only if it glows in the dark and serious 

extra point for a "Bobble Head" :cool: And

in that case, I'm gonna' want one :biggrin:

10 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

Yes, you can't stereotype all Catholics as sexual predators and perverts. Just a large number of priests in numerous countries, not their congregations. The fact that the Catholic Church hierarchy chose to try and cover up such revolting crimes says a lot. And of course Nuns have only been accused of cruelty, especially to unmarried mothers and their babies and I believe Ireland is investigating if they actually played a part in the deaths of illegitimate children.

The Catholic Church has never been one for free speech and their attempts at silencing victims of their clergy's immoral and cruel practices has been documented.

Now we have children who claimed to have seen visions, and performed miracles, being made saints. If you chose to believe that, then fine, it's your choice and privilege. But that choice was denied many for centuries by the Catholic Church. Censorship of comments about any particular religious groups is inappropriate in this day and age. We can see where such attitudes may lead.

21 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

I don't recall stating anywhere all Catholics are pedophiles ! but as for the protection of pedophiles by the Pope I call totally disgusting  and all these secret payouts by any relegious group to cover their sins is again totally disgusting !

3 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

I think after reading this Trump will now see the value in his visit to the Vatican, he will be asking the Pope if he too can be a saint. Patron Saint of Swamps.

Wonderfully funny - thanks for that!

Another Farang bashing thread, just what we need!

Don't you bashers understand how much the pope means to the Farangs?

The Vatican is part of their culture - do you think your culture is superior?

If you don't like it, what stops you from leaving?

On 5/14/2017 at 9:24 PM, Baerboxer said:

Yes, you can't stereotype all Catholics as sexual predators and perverts. Just a large number of priests in numerous countries, not their congregations. The fact that the Catholic Church hierarchy chose to try and cover up such revolting crimes says a lot. And of course Nuns have only been accused of cruelty, especially to unmarried mothers and their babies and I believe Ireland is investigating if they actually played a part in the deaths of illegitimate children.

The Catholic Church has never been one for free speech and their attempts at silencing victims of their clergy's immoral and cruel practices has been documented.

Now we have children who claimed to have seen visions, and performed miracles, being made saints. If you chose to believe that, then fine, it's your choice and privilege. But that choice was denied many for centuries by the Catholic Church. Censorship of comments about any particular religious groups is inappropriate in this day and age. We can see where such attitudes may lead.

I never said I believed in any specific thing listed in the news report.  You inferred incorrectly.

On 5/15/2017 at 8:37 AM, tracker1 said:

I don't recall stating anywhere all Catholics are pedophiles ! but as for the protection of pedophiles by the Pope I call totally disgusting  and all these secret payouts by any relegious group to cover their sins is again totally disgusting !

On 5/14/2017 at 8:15 AM, tracker1 said:

Time to prop up the faith ! This Pope is certainly different protecting his flock of pedophiles !

Actually, you did state on May 14 "This Pope is [certainly different] protecting his flock of pedophiles".

The Pope leads the entire church; all are in his flock..

Edited by Ramen087

Have you heard about the incident where the face of Jesus began to appear on a Mexican church wall? Every day it became clearer and soon pilgrims were coming from miles around to observe the miracle, and pray at the site hoping their illnesses would be cured.

Lasted for some time until it turned out the 'miracle' was a Willie Nelson concert posted that had been whitewashed over. Not sure how many were cured.

2 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

Actually, you did state on May 14 "This Pope is [certainly different] protecting his flock of pedophiles".

The Pope leads the entire church; all are in his flock..