Buying a second hand car in Chiang Mai

mike44

Any recommendations on reliable car dealers in Chiang Mai?

I want to buy a saloon car, say 10 years old, and want to spend no more than about 250,000 Baht.

I am not fussy about model but would prefer a Toyota or Honda. 

All suggestions welcome.

Our Honda Jazz will be for sale late August (moving to Canada). Above your price guidance as only 4 years old (2013) and just 28,000 km. We looked around to buy used but could not find anything attractive at a fair price so bought new. Like it so much we will be buying a Honda Fit (Jazz) in Canada https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Fit

Doug

• Like 1

No recommendations for dealers, but I bought an old car (Toyota) some years ago from the owner for about 100,000.  I took it to Pro Auto as they had been recommended here (Ton there speaks fluent english and is nice to deal with) and asked them to check things out.  Paid a little money for it, which I think they said they would refund me if I later brought the car back to them to fix things.  Which I did.  Been happy with the service ever since.

If I were to buy a second hand car again, from dealer or not dealer, I'd take it to Pro Auto again.

Actually now that I think about it I do have a non-firsthand recommendation for dealer: Toyota Sure.  These shops sell not too old Toyota cars and at least one mechanic recommended me to go there if I wanted to get a good second hand car, as he thought they did a decent job of checking things out before taking a car in for sale.  Since they honour their warranty he said, it'd be in their very best interest to check things properly too of course.

I don't think you'll find 100,000B cars there, but maybe you can find a 250,000B  car there?  I'd take it to Pro Auto too though, just in case.   It does not cost much to have them check it and you'll get an independent opinion, assuming Toyota Sure does not mind.

Edited by Awk
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will check out the dealers mentioned. My benchmark, which I hope to achieve, is an 11 year old Toyota Vios in good condition seen advertised at Baht 200,000 in Bangkok.

Was just here to look at the weather and smoke reports, but want to respond to this, in case it is helpful...

One other possibility is Expat Auto. I had heard good things from another customer when first visiting CM, so back in 2015 when we returned on a longer term basis we bought a used 2002 CRV from them for ~290,000B. Apparently SUV's in particular hold their value so it was a lot for an older vehicle, but it was a trade-in from an existing customer who kept repair records from the Honda dealer, so we knew it had been taken care of.

The process was amazingly smooth as they took care of all the registration paperwork and got us first class insurance. The vehicle was in great shape for it's age, no complaints at all, and it was a pleasure to drive. When we left for Canada a little over a year later, they listed it on their website and within a week sold it for ~30,000B less than we paid for it, then they wire transferred the money to us. Great people, smooth process, no complaints.

If they don't have a car on the lot that you like, they also do car location, or at least they did a few years ago. Give them a make/model, year and price range, and they will attempt to locate something for you. They also inspect cars from other dealers, to make sure there aren't major issues hidden beneath a fresh paint job. In short, if you don't speak much Thai, and need help with anything vehicle related, they make the process very easy... https://expatautocm.com/

• Like 1

• 11 months later...