Removing sand fro Sta-Rite sand filter

WormFarmer

I have a Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo High Rate Sand Filter which has been in use for 7 years, so it is time to remove the sand and replace with sand or Zelbrite (decision not made yet). The filter manual tells me to remove sand from the filter through the drain at the bottom of the tank. The hole at the top of the tank with the control valve removed is really too small to use to scoop out the sand. The manual, see attached copy of relevant section, explains that there is a slotted lateral tube inside the drain valve that needs to be removed to enable the sand to be flushed out. Now here's the problem - I am totally unable to remove this slotted lateral tube and the manual gives no hint as to how it can be removed. Has anyone else had this problem who can tell me how to extract this slotted lateral from inside the drain?

Filter Drain Instructions.docx

Edited by WormFarmer
Forgot attachment

Grollies, No, that doesn't work. There is what they call a drain lateral inside the drain valve that stops sand running out if you only want to drain water. To flush out the sand it is necessary to remove the lateral from inside the drain, as shown on the data sheet I attached to my original post. I cannot get this drain lateral out.

2 hours ago, WormFarmer said:

Grollies, No, that doesn't work. There is what they call a drain lateral inside the drain valve that stops sand running out if you only want to drain water. To flush out the sand it is necessary to remove the lateral from inside the drain, as shown on the data sheet I attached to my original post. I cannot get this drain lateral out.

Can't open docx files on my mobile but has a look online, see what you mean, drain lateral sits inside drain cap thread.

Try a welding rod or thick wire to hook up inside the lateral and give it a tug. Been in there 7 years it is probably binding to the drain. Have you tried dislodging it by tapping it gently upwards first?

18 hours ago, grollies said:

Have you tried dislodging it by tapping it gently upwards first?

I was beginning to consider something even more drastic, like using a steel rod to hammer it up inside the tank and retrieving it later once all the sand is out, then buying a replacement drain lateral - but I am hoping not to have to do that.

12 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Or you could buy a wet & dry Vac for maybe 3000 bht  also do any other chores with it IE : clean fish ponds

That is certainly one good idea, then pushing out the lateral from inside to let me flush out the last of the sand. It would also save a lot of mess caused by flushing 270kg sand out onto the floor of my pump room.

21 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Or you could buy a wet & dry Vac for maybe 3000 bht  also do any other chores with it IE : clean fish ponds

You would need an industrial type vac.

Welcome to my world if you can't get an industrial vac or remove the drain lateral remove the multiport valve, disconnect the header pipe usually a push fit with a self tapping screw , then fish the sand  out wit a large soup ladleo r such like.

I am not joking.

Try taking 8 tonne out of a filter with a shovel and bucket???

1 hour ago, sappersrest said:

You would need an industrial type vac.

Welcome to my world if you can't get an industrial vac or remove the drain lateral remove the multiport valve, disconnect the header pipe usually a push fit with a self tapping screw , then fish the sand  out wit a large soup ladleo r such like.

I am not joking.

Try taking 8 tonne out of a filter with a shovel and bucket???

Not really

First of all get a poker to loosen the sand , disconnect all the top & take the valve off - loosen sand & whilst vacuming maintain the water up to make it easier to extract

They come in different watts & volume sizes

I have an Electrolux 20 ltr& I think it's 1800 wt

Does a fine job on the fish pond as i can see the mud & tiny snail shells

Also no problem with my little wading pool (my filter pump takes out to much water )

15 hours ago, sappersrest said:

remove the multiport valve, disconnect the header pipe usually a push fit with a self tapping screw , then fish the sand  out wit a large soup ladleo r such like.

Hello sapper, I had already tried that but the space between the vertical pipe in the tank and the edge of the hole is only 5cm. Using a ladle I can just about scrape the top of the sand but the gap is too small to allow me to reach down any further. See attached photos.

59238fd16ae97_H(1).thumb.jpg.b681b35da59b73a3a65b2116d04c2b7c.jpg

59238fde03663_H(2).thumb.jpg.709cae01f80a7c7c4b9b6705c361c790.jpg

13 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Not really

First of all get a poker to loosen the sand , disconnect all the top & take the valve off - loosen sand & whilst vacuming maintain the water up to make it easier to extract

They come in different watts & volume sizes

I have an Electrolux 20 ltr& I think it's 1800 wt

Does a fine job on the fish pond as i can see the mud & tiny snail shells

Also no problem with my little wading pool (my filter pump takes out to much water )

Going to shop around locally to see if I can find such a wet and dry vacuum.

If you cant find one and still stuck the only other thing I can suggest is to plumb your pool pump to the drain and flush out bottom through to the top. Make a helluva mess though.

Cracked it! I screwed a 3 inch long No. 10 wood-screw up into the closed end of the drain lateral (it's only plastic). That gave me something to then lever out using a claw hammer. No real damage to the drain lateral, just a small hole in the end. All the sand is out now.

Thanks for all the ideas.