British police say 22, including children, killed in suicide attack at concert

webfact

British police say 22, including children, killed in suicide attack at concert

REUTERS

r19.jpg

Forensic police search the Manchester Arena in Manchester, Britain May 23, 2017. REUTERS/Andrew Yates

MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - British police said 22 people including some children were killed in a suicide attack carried out by one man after a Ariana Grande concert in Manchester on Monday.

"We believe, at this stage, the attack last night was conducted by one man," Manchester Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said.

"The priority is to establish whether he was acting alone or as part of a network.

"The attacker, I can confirm, died at the arena. We believe the attacker was carrying an improvised explosive device which he detonated causing this atrocity."

(Writing by Paul Sandle; editing by Guy Faulconbridge)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-23

UK's May says police believe they know identity of Manchester attacker

2017-05-23T101747Z_1_LYNXMPED4M0RK_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-SECURITY-MANCHESTER.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May speaks outside 10 Downing Street in London, May 23, 2017. REUTERS/Toby Melville

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May said on Tuesday police and security services knew the identity of a suspected suicide bomber who killed 22 people, many of them children, at a concert in Manchester.

May, speaking outside her 10 Downing Street official residence, said the authorities were not ready to announce the identity of the attacker. She also said the attacker had carried out the attack alone but it was not yet clear if others had helped in the preparation.

(Reporting by David Milliken and Elizabeth Piper; Writing by William Schomberg)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-5-23

Queen Elizabeth says whole country shocked by Manchester attack

2017-05-23T112332Z_1_LYNXMPED4M0X5_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-SECURITY-MANCHESTER.JPG

Commuters make their way through the streets near the Manchester Arena in Manchester, Britain May 23, 2017. REUTERS/Andrew Yates

LONDON (Reuters) - Queen Elizabeth expressed her deepest sympathy on Tuesday to all those affected by the suicide bomb attack in Manchester, which killed 22 people and wounded dozens at a British concert by U.S. singer Ariana Grande in the English city.

"The whole nation has been shocked by the death and injury in Manchester last night of so many people, adults and children, who had just been enjoying a concert," she said in a statement.

"I know I speak for everyone in expressing my deepest sympathy to all who have been affected by this dreadful event and especially to the families and friends of those who have died or were injured."

(Reporting by Costas Pitas, editing by Elizabeth Piper)

reuters_logo.jpg

Britain's MI5 says revolted by Manchester attack

2017-05-23T113353Z_1_LYNXMPED4M0Y6_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-SECURITY-MANCHESTER.JPG

Two women wrapped in thermal blankets stand near the Manchester Arena, where U.S. singer Ariana Grande had been performing, in Manchester, northern England, Britain, May 23, 2017. REUTERS/Andrew Yates

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's domestic intelligence agency MI5 said on Tuesday it was revolted by a suicide bomb attack in Manchester, which killed 22 people and injured dozens more at a British concert by U.S. singer Ariana Grande.

"Everyone at MI5 is revolted by the disgusting terrorist attack in Manchester last night," Director General Andrew Parker said in a statement on MI5's website.

"We remain relentlessly focussed, in numerous current operations, on doing all we can to combat the scourge of terrorism and keep the country safe," he said.

(Reporting by Costas Pitas, Editing by Paul Sandle)

reuters_logo.jpg

These terrorist attacks are all too frequent already, just like the Westminster attacker,

the latest one was also known to the Police, so what does that tell us? They can't prevent them 

from occurring.

It's about time the government starts to think about changing laws and giving more power to the

security services so that the source of this problem is dealt the blow that it needs so it can be 

eradicated.

Holding vigils and stating solidarity amongst the public with statements such as "we will not 

be cowed" is not the solution.

Drastic measures need to be enforced on these terrorist organisations otherwise many more innocent 

people will perish. 

9 minutes ago, sotsira said:

These terrorist attacks are all too frequent already, just like the Westminster attacker,

the latest one was also known to the Police, so what does that tell us? They can't prevent them 

from occurring.

It's about time the government starts to think about changing laws and giving more power to the

security services so that the source of this problem is dealt the blow that it needs so it can be 

eradicated.

Holding vigils and stating solidarity amongst the public with statements such as "we will not 

Drastic measures need to be enforced on these terrorist organisations otherwise many more innocent 

people will perish. 

Yep, anyone suspected of Terrorist Link's should be expelled  but won't ever happen due to all the Do Gooder's screaming about it !

4 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Yep, anyone suspected of Terrorist Link's should be expelled  but won't ever happen due to all the Do Gooder's screaming about it !

What if I suspect you and tell the police that, then what!

Not reported as a terrorist attack, Next it will be mental issues that he had.
People are dead because of the government.

Good thing its not my kid because they would pay.

What part of suicide terror attack do you not understand?

I think one can confidently say that the British police WILL manage to find out who was responsible, with all the CCTV cameras that are placed around the cities. For some strange reason I do not have such confidence here. The perpetrator, or what is left of him, should definitely be buried in pigs entrails !

it is indeed a disgusting crime to blow up a bunch of people, at a concert, a market, or any other place just because some people do not have rationale arguments to support their case.
However, what I seem to be missing in the news, is how the explosives were smuggled into the venue in the first place.
What went wrong  ?

MORE to come unfortunately untill there is a ban on more migrants coming in,  also need shut mosgues down where they spew their hatred.

these muslims are going to bring the world to its knees wait and see.  untill the people start now to wake up .   im afraid we have a long way to go yet as marine le pen lost the french vote recently so just comes to show that the people are not yet awake .

I am not going to get drawn into the bickering and arguing over this tragedy.  I did that yesterday and it really doesn't get any of us anywhere.  We all have strong feeling about these incidents but I feel that we are just shouting from the sidelines and that is futile.

My heart goes out to the victims and their loved ones and I am going to leave it there.

I am not going to get drawn into the bickering and arguing over this tragedy.  I did that yesterday and it really doesn't get any of us anywhere.  We all have strong feeling about these incidents but I feel that we are just shouting from the sidelines and that is futile.

My heart goes out to the victims and their loved ones and I am going to leave it there.

I agree but when inflammatory posts, like the one above yours, are made, it's difficult to sit back and do/say nothing.

On 5/23/2017 at 7:56 PM, alfieconn said:

This is what i'm talking about and i'm glad it's been given airtime to start to wake up the 

public and hopefully are spineless politicians.

10 hours ago, KKr said:

However, what I seem to be missing in the news, is how the explosives were smuggled into the venue in the first place.
What went wrong  ?

They weren't.

The explosion was not inside the hall after passing through security checks, but in a public place outside the arena itself.

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:56 PM, alfieconn said:

Expelled to where? This man, like others before him, was a British citizen, born here.

We live in a democracy under the rule of law. Suspects need to be watched, of course, but hard evidence is needed in order to arrest them and bring them to trial. If we start to ignore that, the terrorists have won.

Thatcher tried internment of suspected terrorists in the 1970s. That turned out well; not!

Maybe you think anyone of a certain religion is suspect and so should be rounded up and put into special camps until a final solution is found?

My father and his generation spent six years of their lives fighting a regime who believed that; he would turn in his grave if such a thing ever happened in the country he fought for.

from occurring.
eradicated.
people will perish. 

The security services already have the resources and legislation required, also it requires a minimum of 30 pax (total) to monitor just one suspect, and these suspects are prioritised and reviewed regularly.

You can't stop society, members of the public holding post attack vigil's, it's called freedom of expression, supporting and allowing people to grief, no different to post Westminster attack.

Drastic measures? That's why Op Temperer (I've scrutinised it page by page) has been invoked and implemented and is working as planned, remember Temperer has full support from the police and all authorities, we do not need or want martial law.

Tensions and anger is natural in the current climate, however calm heads prevail and allow those to focus on keeping us safe to get on with their job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Expelled to where? This man, like others before him, was a British citizen, born here.

We live in a democracy under the rule of law. Suspects need to be watched, of course, but hard evidence is needed in order to arrest them and bring them to trial. If we start to ignore that, the terrorists have won.

Thatcher tried internment of suspected terrorists in the 1970s. That turned out well; not!

Maybe you think anyone of a certain religion is suspect and so should be rounded up and put into special camps until a final solution is found?

My father and his generation spent six years of their lives fighting a regime who believed that; he would turn in his grave if such a thing ever happened in the country he fought for.

Anyone suspected of terrorist links should be expelled in to a prison, irrelevant of citizenship.  All current radical extremists that are in prison should be segregated from the general prison population, to prevent further radicalisation within the prison system.

The rule of law within the British democracy that you refer to needs to be changed in order for the

security services to have the ability to act with more powers.

EG: A person downloading pedophilia on their computers can be prosecuted and jailed, it's time to do the same with anyone downloading terrorist related propaganda such as ISIS, Inspire, etc...

Anyone known to have been to Syria and fought with ISIS then returned to the UK should be jailed.  Any known Mosques or Madrases that are preaching radicalisation and hatred towards the Western society should be shut down immediately.

Any known media sites that are related with terrorist groups need to be blocked out.

The 3500 suspects that are monitored and known  the police all need to be closely interrogated not just watched until they commit the crime of mass destruction like we have seen already.

There is so much more that can be done, but unfortunately we need the government to wake up 

to the severity of the problem first, and then they may change a few laws to help the cause.

Until that happens, the British public is the ones at risk of being murdered and maimed.

The parents of this bomber are claiming that he was not involved with IS, I wonder how do they know or really how

much did they really know of what their sons were doing at that age.  The idea that ones children are innocent Is okay when

the children are young, but after they are teens or young adult, no one really knows what they are up to, or how they think,

especially the parents.

20 hours ago, pumpjack said:

MORE to come unfortunately untill there is a ban on more migrants coming in,  also need shut mosgues down where they spew their hatred.

these muslims are going to bring the world to its knees wait and see.  untill the people start now to wake up .   im afraid we have a long way to go yet as marine le pen lost the french vote recently so just comes to show that the people are not yet awake .

I think the people are already mostly aware. It's the government that keep pushing immigration. The people need to take control of their government. Far too much kowtowing to the minority groups. They, the immigrants, need to remember and respect the countries original people who made it so great that they (foreigners) all want to live there.

15 hours ago, citybiker said:

The security services already have the resources and legislation required, also it requires a minimum of 30 pax (total) to monitor just one suspect, and these suspects are prioritised and reviewed regularly.

You can't stop society, members of the public holding post attack vigil's, it's called freedom of expression, supporting and allowing people to grief, no different to post Westminster attack.

Drastic measures? That's why Op Temperer (I've scrutinised it page by page) has been invoked and implemented and is working as planned, remember Temperer has full support from the police and all authorities, we do not need or want martial law.

Tensions and anger is natural in the current climate, however calm heads prevail and allow those to focus on keeping us safe to get on with their job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think this news interview highlights some of your points.

I still view our government and politicians as playing a detrimental role in the prevention 

of these Islamic radicalised acts of terror. 

It's time for drastic changes all right!

18 hours ago, sotsira said:
19 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Anyone suspected of terrorist links should be expelled in to a prison, irrelevant of citizenship

It seems you do not know the difference between expelled and imprisoned!

Perhaps English isn't your first language?

British citizens can, of course, be imprisoned if they are found guilty of a crime; and are. Including Muslims guilty of hate speech.

Anjem Choudray is the most well known example; here is another one from 2003: Hate preaching cleric jailed. Note that, unlike Choudray, el-Faisal is not a British citizen and he was deported upon his release from prison.

If you took the trouble to do a bit of research, you would know that many the things you are demanding already exist.

Others, such as the arrest and interrogation of suspects, would only help the terrorist cause; as was proven when Thatcher tried it in Northern Ireland. It could also hinder the security services; stupid to inter small fry who, if left free and under surveillance, may lead the security services to the ring leaders.