Disability

SidJames

• 10 months later...

It may depend on the disability

Some of the disabled people have actually made it that way on purpose to be a begger reeping in the money

I' ve seen them early in the morning at markets & thought if their that sick why are the here 6 am in the morning

I think it's general nature as to how people look at first until they know the story

Take Auss for example (especially the authorities ), Their had been cases where they don't consider you to have a disability unless your a quadraplegic or dead so you can still work

Or god for bid if you mention any type of back disability - there goes your career 

& even if you haven't done high risk work for more then 12 mths ( been told this by a major company ) even though I had all the tickets & qualifications they seem to think your a disability 

Edited by BEVUP

Older Thai's with a disability can get a special card for the '30 baht/gold card' scheme that allows them to get care at any government hospital they choose to go to.  No referral or extra paperwork needed.

Terry

karma is my guess, it has been implicated that much

so i think any fate can be contributed to karma in the previous life.

for example, thais usually tell me the reason i'm close sighted & have hair growing in my palms is entirely down to power wanking in my previous life

Edited by poanoi
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There is a widely held belief that disabilities are the result of a sin in a past life and thus something to be ashamed of. (This is BTW a complete distortion of true Buddhist teaching). Not all Thais believe this but many do.

in addition there is the strong culture trait of wanting all unpleasantness to be hidden so as to preserve a happy, serene, unrealistic facade of life.

Of course there are Thais who are compassionate, there are Thais who can relate to disabled people as equals. But there are many who stigmatize them and it is genuine problem.

Many people are uncomfortable at the site of disabled people, not just Thais, it is a reminder of our own frailty that many would like to ignore.  In other cases people just feel awkward because they are unsure  how to respond (e.g. will he be offended if I open the door for him? Or should I? that sort of thing)

Very well put Sheryl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

There is a widely held belief that disabilities are the result of a sin in a past life and thus something to be ashamed of. (This is BTW a complete distortion of true Buddhist teaching). Not all Thais believe this but many do.

in addition there is the strong culture trait of wanting all unpleasantness to be hidden so as to preserve a happy, serene, unrealistic facade of life.

Of course there are Thais who are compassionate, there are Thais who can relate to disabled people as equals. But there are many who stigmatize them and it is genuine problem.

Many people are uncomfortable at the site of disabled people, not just Thais, it is a reminder of our own frailty that many would like to ignore.  In other cases people just feel awkward because they are unsure  how to respond (e.g. will he be offended if I open the door for him? Or should I? that sort of thing)

I actually think that Australians are far,far worse with disabilities than are Thai.

This may strike people as a bit odd but I was granted leave to step into private residences and temples and basically drive about as I pleased on my Heath Robinson putt-putt.

It has always been WESTERNERS who complained about my disability and requested that I cover up.

I would give Thais about 9....and Australians about 3.2.

In my collections of villages I introduced myself as "Robocop" to the eternal delight of the Thai kids and,if they were getting out of line I merely kicked the ball into the Mun River..

ADDENDUM-if you ever want a gutful of Australia just try dealing with the NDIS-the so-called National Disability Insurance Scheme.

Edited by Odysseus123