Not the best night out on the PCX150

So I went out for dinner tonight with my wife & son.

We use the pcx often down-town Pattaya during the weekends despite we got a truck but the traffic is just horrible so the scooter is handy and can be parked almost everywhere as well.

We parked on 3rd road outside a restaurant for dinner and had just finished our dinner and I heard a bang and the alarm went off on the PCX.

A poorly dressed Indian dude had apparently been sitting on a scooter next to mine and sleeping and at some stage he tipped the scooter over he was sitting on, and knocked my pcx over in the process.

I ran out and said to him; what the xxxx are you doing man? I don't know what he had been drinking (or smoking) because he was lost to the outside world and looked at me with empty eyes and walked over to a scooter 5 meters away and sat down on the floorboard and went back to sleep.

Anyway no damage to my pcx, it's the first gen 150cc model so pretty scratched up here and there. The scooter he tipped over had the right side side mirror come off the rod screwed on to the handle bar. The Thai owner was not too happy.

After that little indecent, we were riding down to beach road but it started to raining pretty heavily so we took shelter at Central Festival and went to Swensen for ice-cream.

The rain was not stopping so we decided to head home anyway and donned the 3 rain coats always handy under the seat.

When we once again was on 3rd road heading north toward our village, I saw the road was heavy flooded ahead, but decided to push on.

Bad idea, when we were in the middle of it, the pcx started to loose speed (not rpm, but more like belt slipping) and the engine eventually died. Ignition off and pushed the scooter app 100 meter to relatively dry ground.

Ignition on and pushed the start bottom and it fired right up but white smoke (water vapor) was pouring out of the exhaust the first couple of minutes and then cleared.

The pcx got us home all-right but would not take full throttle the first couple of km but then got better, engine sound normal.

I will take it to a scooter shop near-by our village tomorrow and have the oil changed in the engine and transmission as a precaution.

No, not the best night out on the pcx but happy it got us home.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Sounds like the exhaust filled with flood water and that would cut the engine, when the box is immersed in water.

I doubt any got in the oil.

Reminds me when kids we'd stick a potato in car exhaust of a teacher we didn't like. :biggrin: 

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Reminds me when kids we'd stick a potato in car exhaust of a teacher we didn't like. :biggrin: 

I thought I was the only one that did that, really made a nice bang on exit eh....:stoner:

8 minutes ago, transam said:

I thought I was the only one that did that, really made a nice bang on exit eh....:stoner:

We were nasty little gits we pushed in with a stick so you couldn't see it. :whistling:

Well just picked the pcx up after service.

Water in the engine oil (not so much).

Transmission oil milky white.

Air-filter soaking wet, changed.

So he changed both oils 2 times.  1st oil change after a very short ride and drained all out again and then filled with fresh oil and advised me to come back for another oil change in 1000 km time. Just as a side note: too much, I will change the oil again next week.

620 baht in damage.

So what did I learn by that?

Well the air-filter intake box on the pcx is quite low (just above the transmission box) so the pcx cannot wade in knee deep water. I think I was in app 50 cm of water at some stage which obviously is too much. I think max for the pcx is about 30-40cm, hmm, no max 30cm, those damned trucks love to pass at 40km per hour creating big waves.

Thankfully the pcx seems to be running fine and all electrics works OK as well, so a pretty solid scooter.

I think there is a breather hose that can get water into gearbox oil I guess, but I would love to know how water can get into engine oil....!?! (assuming the cap was tight).  Perhaps one of our mechanic experts can come up with a theory.... 

Air filter in a hot sun should dry in a few hours. Same as mobile soaked in water, don't turn it on, open and leave in the sun to dry.... lol.

Glad to hear your bike is going well again.... 

If the oil cap is left off for a prolonged time condensation can build up in the engine and contaminate the oil. Maybe was sitting in the shop with oil cap off to drain overnight or longer at some time. Also check the cap has got an o-ring and that's its in good condition, check the tread on the cap/dipstick is OK, they are usually plastic.

16 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I think there is a breather hose that can get water into gearbox oil I guess, but I would love to know how water can get into engine oil....!?! (assuming the cap was tight).  Perhaps one of our mechanic experts can come up with a theory.... 

Air filter in a hot sun should dry in a few hours. Same as mobile soaked in water, don't turn it on, open and leave in the sun to dry.... lol.

Glad to hear your bike is going well again.... 

Dump the air filter if it is "paper" based...

Jesus H. Christ !!!

The Health And Safety Nazis are back again.

Just leave the guy alone, and do not insinuate possible future accidents involving children. Especially his kid. It aint nice.

If him, and me with my son, and countless millions of others,  want to ride on a motorcycle or scooter, that is our business, not yours.

Now, don't forget to put your full face helmet and knee and elbow braces on the way out of the door to catch your bus. It's dangerous out there....