Authorities set to cooperate with US police on Thais forced into prostitution

webfact

Authorities set to cooperate with US police on Thais forced into prostitution
By THE NATION

28574cc7fbba7e0c0a4021b94950622a.jpeg

Deputy spokesman for Royal Thai Police Pol Colonel Krissana Pattanacharern

BANGKOK: -- THAI authorities are waiting for a US request for cooperation to further investigate alleged human trafficking of Thai women for prostitution in several American cities following the latest arrest of 20 suspects who are being prosecuted in US federal courts.

The office of Minnesota’s attorney-general said on Thursday that US authorities would prosecute a total of 21 Thai and American suspects, including one who is still at large, for their roles in a human trafficking network luring Thai women to the US to work as prostitutes.

The Thai consulate’s office in Chicago said it was also working with American counterparts to help Thai victims and suspects now in US custody.

Hundreds of women

However, Pol Colonel Krissana Pattanacharern, the deputy spokesman for Royal Thai Police, said US authorities had not yet contacted Thai officials for cooperation on the human trafficking-for-prostitution case in which hundreds of Thai women were believed to be misled by the suspects to go to the US for legal work but were forced to be prostitutes.

Krissana said the crime took place in the US so Thai authorities could not interfere, but officials were ready to cooperate with US officials.

In the meantime, the Thai Foreign Affairs Ministry was responsible for helping Thai victims and suspects, he said, adding that national police chief Pol General Chaktip Chaichinda had already instructed police to step up surveillance of domestic prostitution networks that could be involved in the trafficking of Thai women to the US.

The Chicago Sun Times earlier reported online that customers of a Thai prostitution ring in that city had become key players in the nationwide US operation in which the culprits rented out apartments for the women, shuttling them from airports and even entering them into sham marriages with brothel bosses so the woman could work legally.

“This is a unique twist I haven’t really seen before,” Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart was quoted as saying.

A federal indictment unsealed last Thursday charged 21 people across the country — including six in the Chicago area — with being involved in sex |trafficking. A related indictment in October charged 17 others.

The Cook County Sheriff’s Office worked with the US Homeland Security Investigations agents to shut down brothels employing Thai women in the Chicago area and arrested six people authorities identified as participants.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30316571

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-29

Thai women forced into prostitution. I call bull....

More like they were told they can make more money .

For sure they all went there knowing exactly what they would be doing for work.

And for sure they made more money.

But got cought so now they say forced into sex.

Same same but different.

Of course there must be a Thai end to this supply chain, and not talking just card table in Buriram. Will Thai police actively work to arrest perps on this end, or passively cooperate? Does Bet365 give odds for this sort of wager?

"Krissana said the crime took place in the US so Thai authorities could not interfere, but officials were ready to cooperate with US officials."

The authorities don't interfere here either, that's how the Thai women got to The USA in the first place.  Perhaps if the authorities were to concentrate on arresting the ringleaders of all the scams in Thailand, they might be surprised about who they drag-out from the gutter.

9 minutes ago, docshock13 said:

"Krissana said the crime took place in the US so Thai authorities could not interfere, but officials were ready to cooperate with US officials"

Part of the crime, the duping of the women, occured in Thailand. 

yea but there is no money for the cops on this one so they will not put any work into this crime. cops are self funded. cant blame them for not wanting to work for free.

11 minutes ago, docshock13 said:

"Krissana said the crime took place in the US so Thai authorities could not interfere, but officials were ready to cooperate with US officials"

Part of the crime, the duping of the women, occured in Thailand. 

Shssss. Be quite and go away or I'II slap a defamation charge on you.

16 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

yea but there is no money for the cops on this one so they will not put any work into this crime. cops are self funded. cant blame them for not wanting to work for free.

They are paid to 'Serve and protect' - though few signs of this are evident.  You are correct in saying if there is no extra money, police won't crawl out from behind their desk.

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

They are paid to 'Serve and protect' - though few signs of this are evident.  You are correct in saying if there is no extra money, police won't crawl out from behind their desk.

cops get paid almost nothing. not even enough to pay back the loans they need to pay to buy their jobs and promotions. the top cop at na jomtien told me his salary get 30 000thb/month. surprising as he has a nice shiny Mercedes.  cops dont become cops to serve and protect.

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

cops get paid almost nothing. not even enough to pay back the loans they need to pay to buy their jobs and promotions. the top cop at na jomtien told me his salary get 30 000thb/month. surprising as he has a nice shiny Mercedes.  cops dont become cops to serve and protect.

They say one million baht buys a transfer to Pattaya.  They say the loan is usually paid back within a year.

I wonder what the monthly repayments on a Merc are - more than 30,000?

4 minutes ago, mikebell said:

They say one million baht buys a transfer to Pattaya.  They say the loan is usually paid back within a year.

we were in his office overlooking the carpark and he was extorting money out of me for being caught with the wrong address in my work permit. he said i earn 250 000thb/month and he earned only 30 000thb/month inferring i should give him some money. i looked out at my beat up pickup parked near his merc. hard to argue with him as he was holding my passport however.

5 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

What could possibly go wrong? :stoner:

Wouldn't it better to send in a few remote controlled armed drones from the US and take out the pimps who control the prostitutes.

Might be a bit collateral damage but hey - crap happens - ya know.

Edited by M71

My heart goes out to you Mr Allen.  Two of my friends have been 'fined' by the BIB bandits.  I know six farang bar owners who pay monthly protection money.  Surely spycams + social media will soon spell the end of these criminals that sully the name Royal Thai Police?

I'm glad that the local authorities will cooperate with their counterparts in America and hopefully the victims can return home and somehow make for themselves a happy life after such a horrible ordeal.

2 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Of course there must be a Thai end to this supply chain, and not talking just card table in Buriram. Will Thai police actively work to arrest perps on this end, or passively cooperate? Does Bet365 give odds for this sort of wager?

Hey stop picking on Buriram!! ☹️?

'Feel sorry for you guys thinking of returning to the U.S. with your Thai brides.  'Was already protracted and expensive enough to get visas for them as it was.  Sure to get even tougher now.

No sweat tho'. Just fly them to Mexico, give 'em some pesos for a Spanish lesson or two, and instruct them to get to Juarez or some other bordertown and take a northbound constitutional...  Easy peasy and been done literally millions of times.  Don't worry about that "wall" thing; wingnuts have made it their mission in life to make sure that never happens. 'Surprised this "border route" not already in use ICW the topic of this discussion.

They won't be actively working to arrest the perps unless there are brown envelopes to be collected.

No, but Ladrokes do.  ?

2 hours ago, Moti24 said:

"Krissana said the crime took place in the US so Thai authorities could not interfere, but officials were ready to cooperate with US officials."

The authorities don't interfere here either, that's how the Thai women got to The USA in the first place.  Perhaps if the authorities were to concentrate on arresting the ringleaders of all the scams in Thailand, they might be surprised about who they drag-out from the gutter.

The authorities would then have to start with themselves.

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

We all know why they become cops.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

With that kind of money owing the guy has to become Johnny Hustle. I imagine there would be interest accruing on the unpaid amount for a little incentive.